Author Topic: 2016 CB Draft: Southeast Division press conferences (Monday 8/15)  (Read 89015 times)

Offline cbd2016

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 21
  • <insert scrolling text here...>
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Southeast Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Atlanta Hawks  (Celts Fan 508)
Charlotte Hornets (KGs Knee)
Miami Heat  (KG Living Legend)
Orlando Magic  (Celtic Fan Forever)
Washington Wizards  (DinoGanga)

Please, no questions until after all five teams have posted their pressers or until noon of the day of the pressers.  This thread should be reserved for the GMs to put up and work on their pressers until then.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:09:07 PM by cbd2016 »

Re: 2016 CB Draft: Southeast Division press conferences (Monday 8/15)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:53:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 MIAMI HEAT 2016

PG Kyle Lowry / Evan Turner / Valentine

SG Dwayne Wade / Caris Levert / Korkamaz

SF Evan Turner / Jeramai Grant / Valentine

PF Julius Randle/Thon Maker/Henry Ellenson

C Okafor/Sabonis/Zubac/Damian Jones

The Youngest and deepest team in the league.
 The experience comes from Evan Turner and Kyle Lowry who is now 29 years old and the best pure point on team USA. Last year he Avg  21 ppg 6.3 apg 5rpg 2 spg and plays great defense in 37 mpg.

The starting big men will chip in 30 ppg and 15  rpg every night in Okafor and Randle. The back up options are plentiful. Damian Jones is a Defensive big with a 7'4" wingspan and a 36" standing vertical. Smart jumped higher than Westbrook at 33.5".

The team also features one of the greatest two guards of all time Dwayne Wade. His experience and leadership will be crucial in this team and he will be featured with Okafor and Lowry.

I love players that can  handle and pass, and this team features five of the in Turner, Lavert, Valentine, Wade and Lowry. All capable of avg 5 APG or more every night.

The shooting is good overall as well. Lowry last year was . 390% from three last year on 7 attempts per game.

Korkamaz is known as a shooter and shot .423% from three last year.

Valentine shot .444% from three and .853% from the line.

Caris Levert shot .446% from three and .546% from two last year.

Granted these percentages will come down some, but there are four shooters in the backcourt and wing positions.

Ellenson and Maker as bigs, also have range to the three point line

In the post you will need a top flight defense to compete with the talent and depth of the bigs. Okafor, Sabonis, Randle, Zubac are all very good Low post players. And you still have Thon Maker, Ellenson and the athletic Freak Damian Jones to contend with.

The team will be dominant on the glass with Lowry and Wade giving you 9 boards per game combined in the backcourt.

At SF Turner and grant also plus rebounders with good size. And Randle, Sabonis and Ellenson will all get you 10rpg each given enough minutes.

Versatility is the name of the game with Turner, Valentine, and LeVert. Levert is more athletic and explosive Evan Turner. All the players have good size and are all triple double threats.

SF is the weakness of the team, but Turner will start the year off as a solid 10 ppg 5rpg 5apg option. Grant provides fantastic shot blocking and athleticism as a backup, and LeVert could end up the starter and has the most complete skillet if he's healthy.

Outlook: Very good starting five, with the deepest bench in the league, will be a top two seed, and fan favorite.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:27:17 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:01:41 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Ladies and GentlemenYour 2016 CelticsBlog Draft
ORLANDO MAGIC

The Star:

Paul George

George has emerged into one of the top 2 way players in the NBA. After a devastating leg injury two years ago, some questioned if PG would ever play again. But he came back better, stronger, and proved to everyone that he's a true young budding superstar. In his first full season since the injury, George led the Pacers with great numbers (23.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 4.1 apg) and stellar defense and intensity. Paul will enter the 2016-2017 season as the 26 year old centerpiece of this Orlando team with playoff aspirations.

The Serbian Sensation:

Nikola (He ain't no) Jokic

Jokic was my 2nd round draft choice, over a lot of proven commodities, but I stand by this pick still. The potential is through the roof for this man, with per 36 numbers of 15.7 ppg, 13.1 rpg, and 4.8 apg after the all-star break last year... As a rookie! One man has put up numbers like that over a season, and that was the Chuckster 30 years ago. Jokic is an extremely skilled big, he can work out of the high post with his phenomenal instincts and passing. He won't jump out the gym or put up highlight reel dunks, but he is someone you can run an offense through and will give you efficiency and all-around great play. (I hope some of you watched USA- Serbia) For you advanced stat geeks out there, take a look at these numbers for the youngster:

BPM- 4.8 (12th in the NBA)
VORP- 3.0 (23rd in the NBA)
WS- 6.7 (39th in the NBA)

Jokic was a rookie in a crowded frontcourt in Denver. Give him another year as part of this Orlando team and his numbers and play will go through the roof.

The Other Starters

Kent Bazemore, Patrick Beverley, and Mirza Teletovic all round out the starting 5 and have their own distinct roles. Beverley can hound any opposing point guard for 94 feet and on offensive will have plenty of open looks and knock them down (shot 40% from deep last year). Kent Bazemore will be the jack of all trades guy at the 2. He can defend, rebound well for his position, and hit shots. Bazemore signed a huge contract with the Hawks in the NBA, and will prove his worth with the CB draft Magic. Mirza is one of the best stretch 4's in the game. He led all PF's and C's in 3 pointers made this year while shooting at a 39.3% clip.

Our starters can all shoot the 3 ball, and two of them are plus defenders in Bazemore and Beverley. This will open up lanes and opportunities for the offense to run through PG13 and Jokic. Now I know what you're thinking, this team probably needs another true playmaker off the bench to take some pressure off the top 2 guys. Don't worry, we got someone who's about to REEK havoc.

The 6 God

Tyreke is one of the elite playmaking wings in the game, who's only continued to improve on his weaknesses. He's bumped his 3 point percentage up to 38.4%, averaged over 6 assists and 5 rebounds per game the last 2 years, and has continued to effectively make plays for himself and others. Tyreke had some injury problems last year, and while rumors are he might not be ready for the start of the season, he is expected to play this year. When he does, he will be brought back slowly, but eventually will become an elite player for this Orlando team, playing major minutes and doing a little bit of everything off the bench.

The role players:

These guys are 3 proven vets who have all been to the conference finals or further in their careers. Mahinmi might be the best back-up center in the league, and is a great rim protector. He also was a starter on Indiana's playoff team last year and will be reunited with Frank Vogel and Paul George. T-Ross was one of the top 3 point shooters this year, and will be another great shooter to bring in off the bench. And Mills is a proven champion who can provide and offensive spark off the bench and help form a much more offensive option at point with Beverley on the bench.

The deeper bench

Kyle O'Quinn
Gary Neal
Lavoy Allen
Toney Douglas

Reserves

Birdman
Jordan Mickey

These guys won't have huge roles come playoff time, but can all step in and fulfill a role. O'Quinn is a strong big with an underrated jumper who can bang down low against some bigger frontlines. Allen is another Paul George teammate who is a proven vet who can provide quality minutes. Neal is a champion who can shoot the lights out and can never be left alone outside. Douglas is another spark plug who has filled in for Tyreke in the past and can do it again until he is 100% ready to go this year.

Birdman is another proven champ who can help mentor some of the younger guys, and Mickey is just a binky who I really wanted to draft (he can block some shots though).

Outlook and possible rotation:

Without Tyreke

C:   Jokic 30, Mahinmi 18
PF:  Teletovic 26, George 8, O'Quinn 14
SF:  George 28, Ross 14, Bazemore 6,
SG:  Bazemore 24, Douglas 10, Neal 8, Ross 6
PG:  Beverley 24, Mills 22, Douglas 2

With Tyreke

C: Jokic 30, Mahinmi 18
PF: Teletovic 24, George 24
SF: George 12, Evans 20, Bazemore 10 Ross 6
SG: Bazemore 20, Ross 10, Mills 5, Beverley 5 (8 between Neal/Douglas)
PG: Beverley 20, Mills 20, Evans 8

Plan of attack:

When Tyreke returns, hopefully early in the season, we will have 3 guys who can make plays in our small ball offense (Jokic/George/Evans). What's great about this team is we always have shooters (Teletovic, Mills, Bazemore, Ross, Neal, Douglas, Beverley) to surround them with and space the floor. The Magic plan on being one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the CB draft, and with enough elite defenders out on the wing (George/Beverley/Bazemore) and in the middle with Jokic and Mahinmi we should be formidable on both ends. We have more than enough depth to survive some time without Evans, guys like Douglas and Neal are proven vets who can get going off the bench. We fully expect to be a playoff team with the exceptional coaching of Frank Vogel (who has taken some bad teams pretty far). The Vogel/George dynamic hasn't made it to the finals in real life, but they've also never had a team quite this good. Big things are coming in Orlando.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:23:58 PM by Celtic Fan Forever »
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »

Offline DinoGanga

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 31

2016 CB Draft Washington Wizards
GM: Dino Ganga | HC: Scott Brooks
Team Motto: We have LeBron.
Team Philosophy: Defense, Versatility, Toughness

Depth Chart

PG: Darren Collison / Elfrid Payton / Tim Frazier
SG: Avery Bradley / Seth Curry
SF: Jae Crowder / Shaun Kilpatrick / Marcus Thornton
PF: LeBron James / Derrick Williams / JJ Hickson
C: Jusuf Nurkic / Meyers Leonard / Nikola Pekovic

Starters and Other Key Players

LeBron James – PF, SF #23
30 years old | 6’8”, 250 pounds | St. Vincent/St. Mary
Nickname: King James / The Chosen One
Key Stats: 27.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 6.9 apg, 74% career FT

LeBron is a 3 time NBA champion, 3 time Finals MVP, 4 time regular season MVP, won 2 Olympic medals

LeBron has stated numerous times that the only thing left for him to prove, is that he can take home the CB Draft title. I believe I have surrounded James with enough talent to take home the crown. I built a team that plays good defense, can play multiple positions, and share the basketball. The offense will run through LeBron, of course, and I have drafted some shooters (2015/16 3 Pt %: Avery Bradley 36%, Darren Collison 40%, Jae Crowder 34%, Seth Curry), and players who can move away from the ball. We can run an effective pick and roll with many of my players, such as the Bosnian Beast (Jusuf Nurkic) and an effective pick and pop (Meyers Leonard). My players will create turnovers and love to run because they are tenacious defenders who are athletic. Scotty Brooks has proved he can handle superstars (Durant, Westbrook) so I believe LeBron will enjoy playing for him. Also, we have some serious beef up front with Nurkic and Pekovic. They won’t be afraid of meeting opponents in the parking lot after games and could star in the next Taken film as villainous Eastern Europeans.

The best players LeBron had as teammates pre-Miami were Larry Hughes, Mo Williams, and Carlos Boozer (for one year). In 2006 LeBron carried a mediocre Cavs team to the finals, that team had Daniel Gibson, Drew Gooden, and Larry Hughes. He has been to 6 straight finals. Let me show you the team I have surrounded LeBron with, and you can decide if it’s good enough for a 7th trip.

Jae Crowder – SF, PF #99
26 years old | 6’6”, 235 pounds | Marquette
Key Stats: Averaged 14 points and 5 boards a game last year with 82% FT

Big East Player of the Year (2012)

Jae came over in the brilliant Rondo trade and has far exceeded expectations. I mean, if you read Celtics Blog as religiously as I do, it’s easy to realize that he is considered to be, if not better than, on the same level as Jimmy Butler. He is a tenacious two-way player who will not back down from anybody. He has positional flexibility and a high motor. LeBron decided that due to how much he hated playing against Jae, that he would just put him on his team. If you can’t beat’em join ‘em, right Kevin Durant?

Avery Bradley – SG, PG #0
25 years old | 6’2”, 180 pounds | Texas
Key Stats: Averaged 15 ppg and 1.5 steals last year. 78% FT

Opponents Damian Lilliard and CJ McCollum have called him the best perimeter defender in the NBA. I heard that Steph Curry’s wife won’t let him play in games against Boston next year due to the likely humiliation he will face at the hands of Bradley. He has outstanding athleticism and explosiveness, having won the Slam Dunk Contest at the 2009 McDonald’s All-American game. I, and many on this forum, consider Avery to be an incredible fit next to the King. Avery moves well without the ball, can shoot from deep, and can help out with some ball-handling duties.

Darren Collison – PG #7
28 years old | 6’0” 175 pounds | UCLA
Key Stats: Career averages of 14.6 ppg and 4.9 apg, 85% FT

We all know about LeBron, Crowder, and Bradley so let’s dig deeper on my other players. I drafted Elfrid Payton to be my PG as I was looking for good defenders but received little support from CB posters in the discussion forum. One member said to wait and see, that maybe Elf would run my second team and someone else would start. I was thrilled to uncover Darren Collison lurking in the background. A couple days later, Rotoworld wrote an article naming Collison (and Nurkic who I also have) as potential breakouts for this year.

“As long as Collison can stay healthy, he’s guaranteed to have a bounce-back, and perhaps career-year as Sacramento’s starting point guard. Currently Collison’s only backup is rookie Isaiah Cousins, and simply put, Cousins is not good enough to realistically challenge Collison for minutes. Through 45 games during the 2014-15 season, Collison compiled averages of 16.1 points, 5.6 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.3 triples and just 2.5 turnovers per game on 47.3 percent shooting.”

Jusuf Nurkic – C #23
21 years old | 7’0” 245 pounds | Croatia
Key Stats: Career averages of 7.3 ppg and 5.9 rpg, 1.2 bpg

LeBron seems to like playing alongside big physical centers (Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Timofey Mozgoz, etc). I believe Nurkic would fit in very nicely with the King. Nurkic only managed to get on the court for 35 games during his 2015-16 campaign, although he did flash his upside in the three starts he earned putting in averages of 12.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 2.3 steals and 2.3 swats per game. Nurkic has fully recovered from the knee surgery and he’s one of the few centers out there that can rack up both steals and blocks. Jusuf Nurkic has already lost 35 pounds this offseason.

The Bench

Elfrid Payton – The CARMELO NBA player projections, the same system that loves Marcus Smart’s potential, also loves Payton. It identifies him as a breakout player for next year, and a potential All Star worth 109 million dollars over 5 years. Elfrid has good size for a pg at 6’4”. He is a great defender and distributor. Elfrid averaged almost 7 assists per game last year. He will run my second unit and look to drive and kick to the shooters.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/elfrid-payton/

Seth Curry - In the Kings' final seven games of the season, the former Duke standout averaged 16.4 points, 5.3 assists, 3.0 rebounds and shot 45.9% from the field, 48.9% from beyond the arc and played 32.4 minutes per game. More importantly, he showed that he's capable of playing at basketball's highest level.

Meyers Leonard – Leonard is a legitimate 7-footer who has unusual offensive finesse to his game, evident in his 37.7 percent shooting clip from beyond the arc this past season on 228 total attempts. The 24-year-old's size and athleticism also make him a versatile defender and a strong post presence

Derrick Williams – From Posting and Toasting: “In late December Derek Fisher began playing Williams more, and Williams began producing more, scoring 10 or more in five of the last seven games of 2015. In January the scoring continued, particularly after Carmelo Anthony injured himself stepping on a referee's foot, and Williams showed more all-around skills, including a 31-point barrage at Brooklyn and 19/14/4 and 19/10/4 slash lines in back-to-back games vs. Charlotte and Oklahoma City. He hit double-digits in 10 of the Knicks' final dozen games. One of the biggest improvements the 2015-16 Knicks showed was defending the three-point line, where opponents shot 3.1% worse from distance on average when guarded by Williams.”

Sean Kilpatrick - After making the Big East conference team multiple times and earning a second-team All-American nod after his incredible senior season at Cincinnati (he was named as one of the 10 finalists for the Naismith Award, college basketball’s highest individual honor), Kilpatrick went undrafted and spent the majority of his first two seasons hopping between D-League teams with short stints with the Timberwolves and Nuggets in the meantime. He was signed to the Nets’ roster on February 28th, and proceeded to average 23.2MPG and 13.8PPG for the rest of the season. Kilpatrick’s success on the Nets showed not only that he has a place in the NBA, but also gave some insight into how the Nets can right the ship going forward. He's been very consistent as one of the best bench scorers in April. In his last five, Kilpatrick averaged 17.8 points, 2.6 boards, 1.6 assists, 0.8 steals and 2.2 treys on 47.0 percent from the field and 88.9 percent from the line.

Tim Frazier
Marcus Thornton
JJ Hickson
Nikola Pekovic

Best Move / Worst Move
My best move may have been to draft Darren Collison, which offset perhaps my worst move which was drafting Elfrid Payton too early. PGs were flying off the board and I wanted to lock in one so I took Payton. I realized that he may not be the best fit on my starting lineup, as he is not a great shooter and is ball dominant. I plan to use him on the second team and as a defensive weapon. My second best move was to trade up for Avery Bradley who I think is a great fit next to LeBron.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Washington Wizards

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:32:29 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Best Move / Worst Move
My best move may have been to draft Darren Collison, which offset perhaps my worst move which was drafting Elfrid Payton too early. PGs were flying off the board and I wanted to lock in one so I took Payton. I realized that he may not be the best fit on my starting lineup, as he is not a great shooter and is ball dominant. I plan to use him on the second team and as a defensive weapon. My second best move was to trade up for Avery Bradley who I think is a great fit next to LeBron.

LOL... the correct answer to this question is "drafting Lebron."  ;D
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Introducing Your 2016

Charlotte Hornets

Sponsored by:
Piggly Wiggly         Carolina Ale House          Red Oak Beer

Draft Philosophy

Entering the draft with the knowledge the team would be led by head coach Steve Clifford, I felt comfortable proceeding with my initial strategy of drafting based on seeking out players who were both strong on defensive and highly efficient on offense.  The "Spursian" model of team first, with a focus on ball and player movement was front and center.  A number of advanced stats "darlings" were near the top of our list, with an obvious focus on fit in the middle rounds.  A key area of focus on offense was strong three point shooting and low turnover percentage.

While a large burden will be place on Mike Conley to run the offense, both Al Horford, as well as Chandler Parsons, will have the offense run through them at times.  This trio was drafted with the primary intent on having someone to facilitate the offense from all areas of the court (i.e. from the top of the key, from the wings, and from the low/high post). Tyler Johnson will be expected to provide the majority of the scoring punch from the bench in a combo guard role.

On defense, the trio of Andrew Bogut, Al Horford, and Mike Conley will be the anchors, proving both interior defense against dribble penetration, as well as a top notch option to limit the oppositions lead guard.  With many teams focusing on small-bal heavy lineups, having two elite front court defenders who can control the paint on defense is paramount.  Finding a lane to the hoop will not be an easy task for our opponents.  But we can also matchup with small-ball units.  For this explicit purpose PJ Tucker was drafted to provide toughness and grit in defending small-ball forwards either in the post or on the wings.  An underrated defender himself, JR Smith will be tasked primarily with causing havoc and chasing opponents shooters of the three-point line.

Roster / Depth Chart / Minutes

Starters:
Andrew Bogut
Al Horford
Chandler Parsons
JR Smith
Mike Conley

Bench:
Marreese Speights
Brandon Bass
PJ Tucker
Joe Ingles
Nicolas Brussino
Tyler Johnson
Raul Neto
Marcelo Huertas

Base Depth Chart / Rotation

C- A Bogut [24] | A Horford [14] | M Speights [10]
           PF- A Horford [20] | PJ Tucker [18] | B Bass [10]
           SF- C Parsons [34] | PJ Tucker [6] | J Ingles [8]
           SG- JR Smith [28] | T Johnson [20]
           PG- M Conley [34] | R Neto [7] | M Huertas [7]

Important Stats

(click to enlarge)

Game Strategy

With a lineup featuring many versatile, two-way players, who have very selfless games, Charlotte looks to play and uptempo, ball and player movement heavy offense.  While "pace and space" will certainly be a component of that, it will not be the only focus.  We will also feature a heavy dose of 'pick and rolls' and 'pick and pop' action.  The main key here is three-point shooting.  This roster is loaded with very capable shooters at all five positions.

Mike Conley will be the primary ball handler in any screen action, involving either of the bigs.  Off of this action expect Bogut to be primarily used as 'roll man', while Horford may be used as either a 'roll man' or he may 'pop' out for a jumpshot. The idea here is to keep defenses from being able to either hedge to hard, or sag back into the paint to easily.

Al Horford will be given plenty of opportunity to run offense through the high post, with numerous cutters dissecting the lane with the intent on forcing the defense to be aware of all 5 players at any time.  Due Horford's exquisite passing, one false move by the defense will result in an open shot or layup attempt for the offense.

Chandler Parsons will mostly function as a relief valve in this offense, by making himself available of the perimeter to either catch and shoot if left open, drive to the basket if the defense over commits, or move the ball to the open man if a better option presents itself.

Tyler Johnson and the two Brazilian PG's will be the main weapons on offense controlling the pace.  All three are excellent drive and dish options, who will be surrounded by highly competent three-point shooters to space the court.  All three also thrive in a fast paced game, and will be expected to initiate the fast break off of any defensive rebound opportunities.

On defense, the idea is to hound the opposition on the perimeter with the steady defense of Mike Conley, and the pesky chaos provided by JR Smith.  These two will be primarily tasked with funneling all penetration into our bigs who will be waiting to swallow up anyone who enters the lane.  Our off ball defenders will be tasked with simply staying with their assignment when we run a more traditional two-big lineup.  When PJ Tucker enters the game, our defense will become more of a switching defense, with Tucker, Parsons, and Smith all being responsible for knowing when to switch and where the open man is.

Parting Thoughts

Charlotte should be proud of this quad assembled, they will serve to represent to community, and will strive to be both on and off-court role models.  Hornets management feels this should be a very strong team and will be competing well into the deeper rounds of the playoffs, due to the collective experience and talent throughout the roster.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year

Outlook: Very good starting five, with the deepest bench in the league, will be a top two seed, and fan favorite.

I really like what you did with the team, but I have to question your outlook. I am a fan of your starting 5 outside of the lack of shooting, but that's only one side of the ball. how do you plan on stopping other teams starting big men with a frontcourt of Julius Randle and Jahlil Okafor?

Finally, you do have a bench with some very solid players on it, but the majority of them (7!) are rookies with some serious question marks. Specifically at the SG position behind an older Dwayne Wade you have Lavert who had injury concerns last year, and the 19 year old Korkmaz who is still in Europe.

How do you expect such players to perform, and how comfortable are you with relying on such a larger number of unproven players?
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The Atlanta Hawks

PG-  Dennis Schroder-  Jose Calderon-  Isaiah Canaan
SG-  DeMar DeRozan- Lou Williams- Malcolm Brogdon
SF-  TJ Warren- (DeRozan)- Luke Babbitt- Jake Layman
PF-  Luol   Deng- David West- (Babbitt)
C- Kristaps Porzingis- Tyson Chandler- Jordan Hill

Overall Theory:  Picking 29th I knew going into the draft that I would have no shot at one of the annual MVP candidates, so I wanted to try to get 4 of the top 100 players.  I traded picks 3.1, 4.29, and 12.29 and received picks 3.30, 4.1, and 10.1 in return.  I targeted players that had unique skill sets, stars that could play 2 way basketball, then role players who excel in a certain skill.  Overall I think I put together a team that should be a playoff team and will explain why in more details.

DeRozan:  Olympian, averaged 23.5 points (9th in NBA), 4.5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal while shooting .446% and .338% from three point range (a .550% TS%)  in 35.9 minutes per game.  DeRozan had a VORP of 2.4, a WS of 9.9 (tied in 14th in the NBA- 7.5 offensive and 2.4 defensive), and a PER of 21.5.  His elite skill is driving the lane getting to the line, he was 3rd in the NBA in free throw attempts and 2nd in the NBA in free throws made.  DeRozan was second in the NBA with 11.8 drives per game and averaged 1.1 points per drive with an extremely low turnover rate.
Porzingis:  Averaged 14.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, 1.3 assists, with 1.9 blocks in 28.4 mpg as a 20 year old rookie who was new to the country.  Additionally shot .421% from the field and .333% from 3 point range for a TS% of .518%.  KP had a VORP of 1.1, a WS of 4.4 (1.5 offense, 2.9 defense), and a PER of 17.7.  I drafted KP early because he is a freak and will become a superstar this year.  His projected WS from next season through 2020-2021 is 36.3.  This projects him to be the 17th most valuable player in the NBA sandwiched between the Greek Freak and John Wall/ Jimmy Butler during that time.  His elite skill is that he is a matchup nightmare, he can score literally anyway and from anywhere at an average rate, so a center would have difficulty matching up with him on the perimeter and on drives, while a smaller player will have difficulty matching up with him on the block. 
Schroder:  Averaged 11 points, 2.6 rebounds, 4.4 assists, with .9 steals in 20.3 mpg.  He shot .421 from the field, .322 from 3 point range for a TS% of .510%.  Schroder had a VORP of .3, a WS of 2.2 (-.2 offense, 2.3 defense), and a PER of 15.5.  Schroder will be starting for the first time this year in real life and in this.  Schroder was 10th in the NBA in Assist%,   As a started in 6 games last year Schroder averaged- 13.7, 3.8, 5.5, .8 while shooting .388% from 3 point range and the entire starting group played better as a whole with Schroeder but only 6 games.  Assuming a full workload of 34 minutes per game (assuming no improvement on a down year shooting wise) Schroder would average 18.5, 4.3, 7.5, 1.4. 
Deng: Averaged 12.3, 6, 1.9, 1 in 32.4 mpg while shooting .455%, .344% from 3, for a TS% of .549%.  Had a VORP of 2.3, WS of 6.4 (3.5 OWS and 2.8 DWS), and a PER of 15.  When Deng moved to the 4 full time he averaged 15.2, 8.1, 2.5, 1.2 in 28 games and 31.4 minutes per game and shot .484% from the field.  Defensively Deng can cover anybody, he is long enough to make the entry passes difficult, he’s strong enough to hold his own down low (until a double comes), he can be an anchor in pick and roll, he can switch in pick and roll, and he can guard on the perimeter.  Toronto had to stop running pick and roll in the playoffs because Deng was terrorizing Kyle Lowery.  Offensively Deng is another matchup problem as anyone who watched Frank Kaminsky guard him in the playoffs.   
TJ Warren:  11, 3.1, .9, .8 in 22.8 mpg shot .501%/.400% with a TS% of .549%.  VORP-> .2, WS-> 2.2 (1.7 OWS, .6DWS), PER-> 15.7.  No longer a midrange assassin, he stretched his range out to 3 point range this past season prior to broken foot.  His elite skill is catch and shoot, 46% of his shots came on catch and shoot and he made 57% of those attempts.  With 2 ball handling guards, Warren can score without the ball in his hands which is why he fits.
Williams:  15.3, 2.5, 2.5, .9 in 28.5 mpg shot .408%/.344% with a TS% of .584%.  VORP= 1.1, WS= 4.7 (4.5 OWS, .3 DWS), PER= 17.7.  2014-15 NBA 6th man of the year award winner (playing with DeRozan in Toronto), and instant offense off of the bench.
Chandler:  7.2, 8.7, 1, .5, .7 in 24.5 mpg shot .583% with a TS% of .606%.  VORP= .6, WS= 3.8 (2.1 OWS, 1.6 DWS), PER of 14.7.  His numbers were way down last year compared to the year before where he had a 10.3 WS and a PER of 20.1  He will provide interior defense and rebounding against the elite centers. 
Calderon:  7.6, 3.2, 4.2, .9 in 28.1 mpg shot .459%/.414% with a TS% of .571%.  VORP= 1, WS= 4 (2.7 OWS, 1.4 DWS), PER= 12.3.  Tied for 9th in the NBA in 3 point percentage.  Provides shooting off of the bench.
West:  7.1, 4, 1.8, .6, .7 in 18 mpg shot .545% with TS% of .573%.  VORP= 1.9, WS= 5.4 (2.4 OWS, 2.9 DWS), PER= 17.6.  Provides above average offense and defense off of the bench.
Babbitt:  .404% 3 point shooter, .377 of his shots are 3 pointers, averaged 2.3 3 point shooters per game. 
Canaan:  Was 11th in the NBA in 3 point attempts, was 15th in the NBA in 3 pointers made, made .363 of his 3’s, .406% from corner 3’s.  Another shooter off the deep bench.
Hill: Was the Pacers best post scorer last season at 8.8 points per game.  Provides defense, rebounding and interior scoring from the deep bench.
Brogdon:  rookie, All-American, ACC Player of the Year, ACC Defensive Player of the Year (first person to ever win both of those awards).  90% shooter from the line, highest in Virginia history.  Provides defense and scoring off of the deep bench, he will be a steal.
Layman:  possibly the next Parsons?  Athletic stretch 4 who can shoot, lottery ticket at the end of the bench.

I put players who can stretch the floor and are not ball dominant (except Schroder who will serve as a secondary ball handler) around DeRozan.  Warren, Porzingis, and Deng can all score from the outside to open lanes for DD.  Defensively all of my top 8 players are above average players and in the Hawks system the offense will be one of the tops in the league.  Off of the bench I have instant offense in Lou Williams, with shooters in Babbitt, Calderon, and Canaan with an interior scorer in West and post defense with Chandler and Hill. 

I believe that the combination of players entering their prime, continuing their prime, returning from injuries, gaining more minutes, and returning to form in a down season will help this squad be a playoff team.  This was not an exercise about WS from last year (that would make the draft easier), this was about drafting for this upcoming season and my team will perform well this upcoming season
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Best Move / Worst Move

Isnt Collison facing some legal issues and a possible long suspension? 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline DinoGanga

• Joe Mazzulla
Well the Kings don't seem to be worried as they are happy to list him as the starter and let Rondo walk. I couldn't find any updates. I doubt the wife is going to prosecute.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 01:05:04 PM »

Offline DinoGanga

• Joe Mazzulla

Best Move / Worst Move

LOL... the correct answer to this question is "drafting Lebron."  ;D

TP.  Lol

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I really like what you did with the team, but I have to question your outlook. I am a fan of your starting 5 outside of the lack of shooting, but that's only one side of the ball. how do you plan on stopping other teams starting big men with a frontcourt of Julius Randle and Jahlil Okafor?

Finally, you do have a bench with some very solid players on it, but the majority of them (7!) are rookies with some serious question marks. Specifically at the SG position behind an older Dwayne Wade you have Lavert who had injury concerns last year, and the 19 year old Korkmaz who is still in Europe.

How do you expect such players to perform, and how comfortable are you with relying on such a larger number of unproven players?

Thanks for the comments AB. Tp.

Much like the Celtics. Depth and options are the name of the game here.

Zubac is a capable Rim protected with a 9'3" standing reach and good movement and athleticism for a Center.

Damian Jones is another option to stop big men down low and is a freak of an athlete at 6'11" 245 pounds with a 7'4" wingspan a 36" standing vertical is absolutely insane.

Sabonis has very good lateral movement and is the most capable big man for guarding the pick and roll game, and is a tremendous rebounder. Maker is 7'2" and another fantastic athlete that can guard and switch screens.

Finally Jeramai Grant will play a lot of small ball power forward when Randle is on the bench.

With seven bigs to choose from plus Grant that gives a lot of options for whatever situation arises.

in regards to the two guard position, the team was built so that besides Lowry, it features 6'5" to 6'7" swings that can play three positions on the floor.

I'm a huge Denzel Valentine guy, and he will be the primary back up shooting guard. On offense he does it all he shoots very well, great rebounder and I think he's the best passer in the draft. Fantastic BBIQ.

Turner also will play minutes at shooting guard and LeVert is a more athletic Evan Turner, that can guard multiple positions.

With Lowry penciled in for 37 mpg and Wade 30mpg I believe the players Mentioned can easily fill the remaining minutes. Does that answer your question sufficiently.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Best Move / Worst Move

Isnt Collison facing some legal issues and a possible long suspension?
Yes. His court date is in 3 days and he faces two charges of domestic violence and domestic battery.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 05:42:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

2016 CB Draft Washington Wizards
GM: Dino Ganga | HC: Scott Brooks
Team Motto: We have LeBron.
Team Philosophy: Defense, Versatility, Toughness

Depth Chart

Starters and Other Key Players

LeBron James – PF, SF #23
30 years old | 6’8”, 250 pounds | St. Vincent/St. Mary
Nickname: King James / The Chosen One
Key Stats: 27.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 6.9 apg, 74% career FT

LeBron is a 3 time NBA champion, 3 time Finals MVP, 4 time regular season MVP, won 2 Olympic medals

LeBron has stated numerous times that the only thing left for him to prove, is that he can take home the CB Draft title. I believe I have surrounded James with enough talent to take home the crown. I built a team that plays good defense, can play multiple positions, and share the basketball. The offense will run through LeBron, of course, and I have drafted some shooters (2015/16 3 Pt %: Avery Bradley 36%, Darren Collison 40%, Jae Crowder 34%, Seth Curry), and players who can move away from the ball. We can run an effective pick and roll with many of my players, such as the Bosnian Beast (Jusuf Nurkic) and an effective pick and pop (Meyers Leonard). My players will create turnovers and love to run because they are tenacious defenders who are athletic. Scotty Brooks has proved he can handle superstars (Durant, Westbrook) so I believe LeBron will enjoy playing for him. Also, we have some serious beef up front with Nurkic and Pekovic. They won’t be afraid of meeting opponents in the parking lot after games and could star in the next Taken film as villainous Eastern Europeans.

The best players LeBron had as teammates pre-Miami were Larry Hughes, Mo Williams, and Carlos Boozer (for one year). In 2006 LeBron carried a mediocre Cavs team to the finals, that team had Daniel Gibson, Drew Gooden, and Larry Hughes. He has been to 6 straight finals. Let me show you the team I have surrounded LeBron with, and you can decide if it’s good enough for a 7th trip.

Jae Crowder – SF, PF #99
26 years old | 6’6”, 235 pounds | Marquette
Key Stats: Averaged 14 points and 5 boards a game last year with 82% FT

Big East Player of the Year (2012)

Jae came over in the brilliant Rondo trade and has far exceeded expectations. I mean, if you read Celtics Blog as religiously as I do, it’s easy to realize that he is considered to be, if not better than, on the same level as Jimmy Butler. He is a tenacious two-way player who will not back down from anybody. He has positional flexibility and a high motor. LeBron decided that due to how much he hated playing against Jae, that he would just put him on his team. If you can’t beat’em join ‘em, right Kevin Durant?

Avery Bradley – SG, PG #0
25 years old | 6’2”, 180 pounds | Texas
Key Stats: Averaged 15 ppg and 1.5 steals last year. 78% FT

Opponents Damian Lilliard and CJ McCollum have called him the best perimeter defender in the NBA. I heard that Steph Curry’s wife won’t let him play in games against Boston next year due to the likely humiliation he will face at the hands of Bradley. He has outstanding athleticism and explosiveness, having won the Slam Dunk Contest at the 2009 McDonald’s All-American game. I, and many on this forum, consider Avery to be an incredible fit next to the King. Avery moves well without the ball, can shoot from deep, and can help out with some ball-handling duties.

Darren Collison – PG #7
28 years old | 6’0” 175 pounds | UCLA
Key Stats: Career averages of 14.6 ppg and 4.9 apg, 85% FT

We all know about LeBron, Crowder, and Bradley so let’s dig deeper on my other players. I drafted Elfrid Payton to be my PG as I was looking for good defenders but received little support from CB posters in the discussion forum. One member said to wait and see, that maybe Elf would run my second team and someone else would start. I was thrilled to uncover Darren Collison lurking in the background. A couple days later, Rotoworld wrote an article naming Collison (and Nurkic who I also have) as potential breakouts for this year.

“As long as Collison can stay healthy, he’s guaranteed to have a bounce-back, and perhaps career-year as Sacramento’s starting point guard. Currently Collison’s only backup is rookie Isaiah Cousins, and simply put, Cousins is not good enough to realistically challenge Collison for minutes. Through 45 games during the 2014-15 season, Collison compiled averages of 16.1 points, 5.6 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.3 triples and just 2.5 turnovers per game on 47.3 percent shooting.”

Jusuf Nurkic – C #23
21 years old | 7’0” 245 pounds | Croatia
Key Stats: Career averages of 7.3 ppg and 5.9 rpg, 1.2 bpg

LeBron seems to like playing alongside big physical centers (Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Timofey Mozgoz, etc). I believe Nurkic would fit in very nicely with the King. Nurkic only managed to get on the court for 35 games during his 2015-16 campaign, although he did flash his upside in the three starts he earned putting in averages of 12.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 2.3 steals and 2.3 swats per game. Nurkic has fully recovered from the knee surgery and he’s one of the few centers out there that can rack up both steals and blocks. Jusuf Nurkic has already lost 35 pounds this offseason.

The Bench

Elfrid Payton – The CARMELO NBA player projections, the same system that loves Marcus Smart’s potential, also loves Payton. It identifies him as a breakout player for next year, and a potential All Star worth 109 million dollars over 5 years. Elfrid has good size for a pg at 6’4”. He is a great defender and distributor. Elfrid averaged almost 7 assists per game last year. He will run my second unit and look to drive and kick to the shooters.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/elfrid-payton/

Seth Curry - In the Kings' final seven games of the season, the former Duke standout averaged 16.4 points, 5.3 assists, 3.0 rebounds and shot 45.9% from the field, 48.9% from beyond the arc and played 32.4 minutes per game. More importantly, he showed that he's capable of playing at basketball's highest level.

Meyers Leonard – Leonard is a legitimate 7-footer who has unusual offensive finesse to his game, evident in his 37.7 percent shooting clip from beyond the arc this past season on 228 total attempts. The 24-year-old's size and athleticism also make him a versatile defender and a strong post presence

Derrick Williams – From Posting and Toasting: “In late December Derek Fisher began playing Williams more, and Williams began producing more, scoring 10 or more in five of the last seven games of 2015. In January the scoring continued, particularly after Carmelo Anthony injured himself stepping on a referee's foot, and Williams showed more all-around skills, including a 31-point barrage at Brooklyn and 19/14/4 and 19/10/4 slash lines in back-to-back games vs. Charlotte and Oklahoma City. He hit double-digits in 10 of the Knicks' final dozen games. One of the biggest improvements the 2015-16 Knicks showed was defending the three-point line, where opponents shot 3.1% worse from distance on average when guarded by Williams.”

Sean Kilpatrick - After making the Big East conference team multiple times and earning a second-team All-American nod after his incredible senior season at Cincinnati (he was named as one of the 10 finalists for the Naismith Award, college basketball’s highest individual honor), Kilpatrick went undrafted and spent the majority of his first two seasons hopping between D-League teams with short stints with the Timberwolves and Nuggets in the meantime. He was signed to the Nets’ roster on February 28th, and proceeded to average 23.2MPG and 13.8PPG for the rest of the season. Kilpatrick’s success on the Nets showed not only that he has a place in the NBA, but also gave some insight into how the Nets can right the ship going forward. He's been very consistent as one of the best bench scorers in April. In his last five, Kilpatrick averaged 17.8 points, 2.6 boards, 1.6 assists, 0.8 steals and 2.2 treys on 47.0 percent from the field and 88.9 percent from the line.

Tim Frazier
Marcus Thornton
JJ Hickson
Nikola Pekovic

Best Move / Worst Move

Maybe I'm A little biased because of the Crowder and Bradley Combo, but that's a sweet squad you have. Well done.

Very good role players around Lebron.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 05:44:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I do think I have an advantage in the backcourt with Wade and Lowry. Big man depth is also a strength of my squad.