2 (40%)
Okafor
2 (40%)
Love
0 (0%)
Boogie's not coming anytime soon
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Should Portis be a realistic target?  (Read 1767 times)

Should Portis be a realistic target?
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:14:28 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
We need another big, one that actually plays big. Could he develop into that guy? He sure has the personality. And this team could make noise, in a few years, with a guy that can man the paint and score.  There was a lot of talk about Okafor, now it's shifted to Noel.  I'd like to see either of them in Green, and with our current make-up, preferably Noel. Okafor would be nice, I think he'd succeed, but he'll be costly, and not a great fit long-term.

The Bulls are a mess. It looks like they struck out in FA, said screw it, and signed a couple guys that will fill seats. I'm sure that "big 3" doesn't even think they'll win the East. 

And I'm sure Portis isn't available. There were reports that the Bulls were open to trade any of their bigs at the deadline to make more room for him. But if he could be had for a slight overpay, would you not jump on it?

It seems pretty likely, at this point anyway, that he has the motor and ability to become a really solid 4/5. And if he continues to improve, wouldn't he be a really nice complementary piece to Horford? Seems to have the drive -- wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a solid starter that makes a bigger impact on the game than the box score suggests.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:40:04 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Should Portis be our realistic target?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:41:03 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I'd really love either Portis or Noel on the team, though like you said Portis is probably unavailable. I think they both would be good fits here. Portis might be a better two-way fit with us, but Noel is much, much better defensively.

Re: Should Portis be a realistic target?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:08:21 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'd love to have him on the Cs. The Bulls would be silly to give him up now, though.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Should Portis be our realistic target?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 02:50:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I'd really love either Portis or Noel on the team, though like you said Portis is probably unavailable. I think they both would be good fits here. Portis might be a better two-way fit with us, but Noel is much, much better defensively.

Sure is, and it would be awesome if we developed an identity of an elite defensive team.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:59:26 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 02:59:08 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I'd love to have him on the Cs. The Bulls would be silly to give him up now, though.

Yep, for sure.  He would be a great complementary piece, though. If our BKN 17 & 18 pan out (if we keep them) though, we should be in really good shape a few years down the road.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
And I'm sure Portis isn't available. There were reports that the Bulls were open to trade any of their bigs at the deadline to make more room for him. But if he could be had for a slight overpay, would you not jump on it?

I think you answered your own question.   No way do they trade a guy on a rookie contract who is decent and produces.   They are not a farm league for us.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
He's not available.  The Bulls aren't trading him.  He's going to get big minutes for them.  He's young, talented and cheap which the Bulls front office loves.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:40:29 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
They should have drafted him then..

You have way to much time on your hands