Author Topic: LeBron 3 years 100 million  (Read 9033 times)

Re: LeBron 3 years 100 million
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I thought it was a joke that Steph got MVP before they ever faced each other. Lebron os the best all around player, most dominant, as well as more valuable to his team. He showed how much better he was in the finals.

or steph did outplay him all year and was noticeably injured during the finals. either one.
Curry had the better year and deserved the MVP, but James is by far the best player in the World.  It isn't that close.

And for the record, Curry played worse last year in the Finals when he wasn't "injured" against Cleveland when the Warriors were the champions.

yea you have beat that concept to death and i just don't agree with it.

Edit: Curry even said the other day that yes Curry was injured and the warriors actually changed their game plan because of it. (http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/kerr-admits-currys-injuries-forced-few-adjustments-finals) So by putting "injured" in quotes like it is some made up thing you are calling Kerr and others liars (and making yourself kind of look like a jerk in the process). Look Cleveland was banged up really bad last year and didn't even have Irving or Love for most of the finals. This year the shoe was on the other foot as Curry was clearly limited, Iguodala was limited, Green was suspended and Bogut was out during the collapse. Injuries and suspension happen and it is fair to point them out and discuss their impact. I would have liked to have seen both teams fully healthy for both series, but it just wasn't the case.
Did you even read the article you quoted?

“We didn’t hide anything,” Kerr said. “If there had been a diagnosis, we would have told you. We don’t hide stuff like that. He was banged up. But that’s not an excuse. It’s not an injury; it’s just that the reality of the season and it kind of hit him at the wrong time, given that everything started in the playoffs and carried through."

Kerr says he wasn't injured.  A little banged up sure, but injured nope.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I thought it was a joke that Steph got MVP before they ever faced each other. Lebron os the best all around player, most dominant, as well as more valuable to his team. He showed how much better he was in the finals.

or steph did outplay him all year and was noticeably injured during the finals. either one.
Curry had the better year and deserved the MVP, but James is by far the best player in the World.  It isn't that close.

And for the record, Curry played worse last year in the Finals when he wasn't "injured" against Cleveland when the Warriors were the champions.

yea you have beat that concept to death and i just don't agree with it.

Edit: Curry even said the other day that yes Curry was injured and the warriors actually changed their game plan because of it. (http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/kerr-admits-currys-injuries-forced-few-adjustments-finals) So by putting "injured" in quotes like it is some made up thing you are calling Kerr and others liars (and making yourself kind of look like a jerk in the process). Look Cleveland was banged up really bad last year and didn't even have Irving or Love for most of the finals. This year the shoe was on the other foot as Curry was clearly limited, Iguodala was limited, Green was suspended and Bogut was out during the collapse. Injuries and suspension happen and it is fair to point them out and discuss their impact. I would have liked to have seen both teams fully healthy for both series, but it just wasn't the case.
Did you even read the article you quoted?

“We didn’t hide anything,” Kerr said. “If there had been a diagnosis, we would have told you. We don’t hide stuff like that. He was banged up. But that’s not an excuse. It’s not an injury; it’s just that the reality of the season and it kind of hit him at the wrong time, given that everything started in the playoffs and carried through."

Kerr says he wasn't injured.  A little banged up sure, but injured nope.

You are a character eh? My whole point is he was not himself cause he was hurt. You want to say the word "hurt", "banged up" or "injured" or get into some semantics argument about what word makes you feel the best about things? Kerr literally said he had to change the game plan because he was not himself. That is my entire point. In a series that went 7 games and came down to the final 30 seconds having your best player diminished to the point that you have to change your game plan on top of missing your starting center and only defensive big and having an all-star player suspended for a pivotal game are all big random things that went Cleveland's way. Cleveland had luck on there side this year. Golden State had luck on their side the year before when Irving and Love were injured. This really isn't a debatable point, and frankly your just wasting my time with your nonsense now.

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 12:55:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The stats say otherwise:
Stephen Curry        STL     FG%      3PT%      MP       Pts.       TRB       AST         STL         
2015 Finals             11       .443      .385       42.5      26.0      5.2       6.3          1.8         
2016 Finals              6        .403       .400       35.1      22.6      4.9       3.7        0.9       

And if James blocked any of Curry's shots in the 2015 Finals, it wasn't an easy knock down like he got in this years Finals more than once.

oh wow he had much better overall stats in 2015 finals, was Moronis just making up stuff? I generally  just trust posters when they post up stats, but I guess that guy can't be trusted.

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The stats say otherwise:
Stephen Curry        STL     FG%      3PT%      MP       Pts.       TRB       AST         STL         
2015 Finals             11       .443      .385       42.5      26.0      5.2       6.3          1.8         
2016 Finals              6        .403       .400       35.1      22.6      4.9       3.7        0.9       

And if James blocked any of Curry's shots in the 2015 Finals, it wasn't an easy knock down like he got in this years Finals more than once.

oh wow he had much better overall stats in 2015 finals, was Moronis just making up stuff? I generally  just trust posters when they post up stats, but I guess that guy can't be trusted.
He shot worse from three and the line.  He rebounded worse (6.7% vs. 8.0%).  He blocked shots worse.  He was a better passer, stole the ball better, and was slightly less turnover prone.  He did play more minutes (though some of that was blowouts vs. close games).  Guess it just depends what you want from your go to scorer and best player.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:58:04 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The stats say otherwise:

He shot worse from three and the line.  He rebounded worse (6.7% vs. 8.0%).  He blocked shots worse.  He was a better passer, stole the ball better, and was slightly less turnover prone.  He did play more minutes.  Guess it just depends what you want from your go to scorer and best player.

Are you reading what you are writing right now? He was worse at blocked shots and rebounding? That is your concern from your 6 foot guard? He scored worse, played 7 minutes less per game (a clear sign of conditioning and being injured) played worse defense, had more turnovers and passed worse (all the stuff you actually care about from a guard. What an exhausting stupid argument. 

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The stats say otherwise:

He shot worse from three and the line.  He rebounded worse (6.7% vs. 8.0%).  He blocked shots worse.  He was a better passer, stole the ball better, and was slightly less turnover prone.  He did play more minutes.  Guess it just depends what you want from your go to scorer and best player.

Are you reading what you are writing right now? He was worse at blocked shots and rebounding? That is your concern from your 6 foot guard? He scored worse, played 7 minutes less per game (a clear sign of conditioning and being injured) played worse defense, had more turnovers and passed worse (all the stuff you actually care about from a guard. What an exhausting stupid argument.
Or it is a clear sign that in 2015 there were multiple OT and close games.  I'm sure that the blowouts in 2016 have nothing to do with the lesser minutes.  I mean that 24 minutes 43 seconds Curry played in game 2 in 2016 had nothing to do with the overall minutes in the series.  Couldn't have been a factor at all.  Curry had 3 30 point games in the Finals, two of them were this year.  Curry had only one Finals game in which he shot over 60% from the floor.  That was this year.  The worst Finals game in Curry's career was Game 2 in 2015.  The best Finals game in Curry's career by most metrics was Game 4 in 2016.  Curry scored more points per minute in 2016 than he did in 2015 (.64 vs. .61 or a point every 1.56 vs. 1.65 minutes).  He played less minutes, in a large part because the margin of victory in the first 3 games of the series was 17, 33, and 30.  The next 3 games weren't under 10 either.  Only game 7 was a down to the wire game.  That means you play less minutes. 

Look I get it, this board hates Lebron James and wants to downgrade his accomplishments, especially as he passes Larry Bird nationally.  I get it, but let's stop taking things away from the Cavs.  The Cavs focused on and punished Curry and Thompson and did so for 2 consecutive Finals.  The results from Curry and Thompson in those Finals are fairly consistent across the board.  Thompson was consistently bad and Curry was consistently inconsistent with some great games and some terrible games both years.  Curry was out there playing 40 minutes a night in the games that mattered and he was doing that against both OKC and Cleveland.  You didn't hear anyone claiming Curry was injured when he torched OKC for 98 points in the final 3 games of that series (at right under 40 minutes a game). 

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The stats say otherwise:

Or it is a clear sign that in 2015 there were multiple OT and close games.  I'm sure that the blowouts in 2016 have nothing to do with the lesser minutes.  I mean that 24 minutes 43 seconds Curry played in game 2 in 2016 had nothing to do with the overall minutes in the series.  Couldn't have been a factor at all.  Curry had 3 30 point games in the Finals, two of them were this year.  Curry had only one Finals game in which he shot over 60% from the floor.  That was this year.  The worst Finals game in Curry's career was Game 2 in 2015.  The best Finals game in Curry's career by most metrics was Game 4 in 2016.  Curry scored more points per minute in 2016 than he did in 2015 (.64 vs. .61 or a point every 1.56 vs. 1.65 minutes).  He played less minutes, in a large part because the margin of victory in the first 3 games of the series was 17, 33, and 30.  The next 3 games weren't under 10 either.  Only game 7 was a down to the wire game.  That means you play less minutes. 

Look I get it, this board hates Lebron James and wants to downgrade his accomplishments, especially as he passes Larry Bird nationally.  I get it, but let's stop taking things away from the Cavs.  The Cavs focused on and punished Curry and Thompson and did so for 2 consecutive Finals.  The results from Curry and Thompson in those Finals are fairly consistent across the board.  Thompson was consistently bad and Curry was consistently inconsistent with some great games and some terrible games both years.  Curry was out there playing 40 minutes a night in the games that mattered and he was doing that against both OKC and Cleveland.  You didn't hear anyone claiming Curry was injured when he torched OKC for 98 points in the final 3 games of that series (at right under 40 minutes a game).

This is really simple and it is clear you are being emotional because you like Lebron. I said the Warrriors were lucky the previous finals (repeatedly) because Irving and Love were injured. Is that cause I want to to take something away from Curry? No it is just because it is a fact and what happened. This year, the opposite happened. The warriors had some bad luck with their one true big getting injured, Curry being banged up and Green getting suspended. In a close series those were all small things that were enough to impact a result. That is not trying to demean Lebron just like pointing out that last year's injuries/luck benefitted the warriors is not demeaning Steph or anyone else. Its facts

It is clear now that you are so sensitive about anyone saying something potentially negative about the Cavs or Lebron that we can't even point out basic facts without you disputing them and putting up twisted weird numbers to try and make points. (Your listing Curry's lower block totals as part of your evidence of him having a worse series was among the most pathetic things I have seen on this board). I get it, you like Lebron and the Cavs. Maybe try and be less defensive.

Also for the record, I don't really put much thought into comparison between Bird and Lebron James. I was young enough that I only caught the second half of Bird's career. As a kid I remember really enjoying watching him play and reading his biography Drive. His career was really cut short by injuries which was disappointing, but also will make trying to compare him to 20 years of Lebron playing in the NBA in a different era a pretty fruitless era. I've occasionally seen a few "what player was better" thread on here in the dogs days of summer, but I am pretty sure the average Celtics fan isn't trying to demean Lebron because they like Bird. I mean, that really doesn't even make sense and is kind of insane proposition.

I would hope you can take a step back from your Lebron fandom or Cleveland roots for a moment and realize that every team needs some luck and small breaks on their way to a championship. These things get pointed out every single year. Heck we are still talking about how things would have been different in the big 3 era if KG hadn't gotten hurt. That is how sports and discussions work. If you view these acknowledgements of injuries and suspensions that happened as somehow diminishing your teams accomplishments you are going to be constantly miserable (which from this thread and others, it appears that you are).

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

The stats say otherwise:

Here are the links. Those stats were more than he gave, so he didn't deserve more. It was obvious Curry wasn't right without even knowing the stats.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2016-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The stats say otherwise:

Here are the links. Those stats were more than he gave, so he didn't deserve more. It was obvious Curry wasn't right without even knowing the stats.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2016-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html

Thank you. He has now made it clear he has an agenda to protect Lebron and acting like Steph was fine is part of that. Thanks for sharing the stats, this supports what the eye test  and Kerr said, Curry wasn't himself (his crazy block shots decrease not withstanding)

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The stats say otherwise:

Thank you. He has now made it clear he has an agenda to protect Lebron and acting like Steph was fine is part of that. Thanks for sharing the stats, this supports what the eye test  and Kerr said, Curry wasn't himself (his crazy block shots decrease not withstanding)
Where do you think I got the stats from?  The minutes skew the total stats though and the minutes are skewed because of the nature and closeness of the games. 

The simple reality is, Curry scored more points per minute in the Finals in 2016 than he did in 2015.  Unless I'm mistaken, you want your go to scorer to score more points more often. 

Steph was playing 40 minutes a night in the games that mattered.  I can't call someone that plays that many minutes and does so at a pretty high level injured.  I'm sure he wasn't 100%, but I'd be hard pressed to call anyone in the Finals 100%.  He was likely a bit more banged up than some of the other players, but he wasn't injured enough to miss games in the Finals like Kevin Love or Andrew Bogut.  He certainly wasn't injured enough to claim he was injured.  In fact, all he said all series was he was healthy and ready, which pretty much matches with him basically playing 40 minutes a game over the final 4 games of the series (or the final 3 games against OKC when he was torching Westbrook and leading his team back from the brink of disaster). 

Of course the Cavs had some luck.  I mean expecting Draymond Green to develop a groin fetish and get himself suspended a game is pretty lucky.  And Bogut getting hurt and missing the last two games was a big help to the Cavs because it meant their old friend Side Show Bob (aka Varejao) played a lot more minutes.  I just don't buy this nonsense that Curry was injured, which is why he played so badly, when he was just as bad the prior year when he didn't have do anything defensively (because Delly is no Irving on that end of the floor). 

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The stats say otherwise:

Where do you think I got the stats from?  The minutes skew the total stats though and the minutes are skewed because of the nature and closeness of the games. 

The simple reality is, Curry scored more points per minute in the Finals in 2016 than he did in 2015.  Unless I'm mistaken, you want your go to scorer to score more points more often. 

Steph was playing 40 minutes a night in the games that mattered.  I can't call someone that plays that many minutes and does so at a pretty high level injured.  I'm sure he wasn't 100%, but I'd be hard pressed to call anyone in the Finals 100%.  He was likely a bit more banged up than some of the other players, but he wasn't injured enough to miss games in the Finals like Kevin Love or Andrew Bogut.  He certainly wasn't injured enough to claim he was injured.  In fact, all he said all series was he was healthy and ready, which pretty much matches with him basically playing 40 minutes a game over the final 4 games of the series (or the final 3 games against OKC when he was torching Westbrook and leading his team back from the brink of disaster). 

Of course the Cavs had some luck.  I mean expecting Draymond Green to develop a groin fetish and get himself suspended a game is pretty lucky.  And Bogut getting hurt and missing the last two games was a big help to the Cavs because it meant their old friend Side Show Bob (aka Varejao) played a lot more minutes.  I just don't buy this nonsense that Curry was injured, which is why he played so badly, when he was just as bad the prior year when he didn't have do anything defensively (because Delly is no Irving on that end of the floor).

You have basically acknowledged most of the points I have been making throughout this thread here, which by the way, does not take anything away from the Cavs. I don't think we need to continue this further based on cherry picking stats to argue the degree to which Curry was banged up or injured. I also wish you wouldn't take bizarre stances like people think Curry was hurt because they want to diminish Lebron's accomplishments because they like Bird and there is concern about their historical standing or something. That was just a trainwreck of a thought process and off the mark.