Author Topic: Butler at Olympics shows not giving up a lot was smart move Danny  (Read 3498 times)

Re: Butler at Olympics shows not giving up a lot was smart move Danny
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't get why you are so opposed to Kevin Love then.  Love while not a good defender, is the rebounder, scorer, and passing big man that would fit perfectly on Boston, eliminate a lot of the teams real glaring weaknesses, and elevate Boston to the next level (still under Cleveland, GS level but getting close to the LAC level).

Because Thomas - Butler - Horford is WAY BETTER in my opinion than Thomas - Love - Horford.

Especially since you suggested trading Crowder and Smart to get Love.

I think the ceiling for a Thomas - Love - Horford team is getting stomped in the ECF.

The ceiling for a Thomas - Butler - Horford team is making the Finals, with a non-zero chance of getting really lucky, hitting some big shots, and winning a title.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

With that said, we probably win 50 games if Crowder didn't get hurt last season and if all goes well we should do even better this season. Why break the bank for Butler if we could achieve exactly what you said (50-60 wins/good but not great) without him?

I mostly agree, which is why I've said that giving up what Chicago was probably asking for -- all three remaining BRK picks plus Crowder and Bradley / Smart -- would not have been worth it.

That said, I think that as constructed this team is probably gonna lose in the 2nd round, though I think they have a chance of earning the right to be killed by Cleveland in the ECF.

Swap out Bradley for Jimmy Butler and I think the Celts would be clearly the second best team in the conference, with a puncher's chance of beating Cleveland and getting to the Finals. 

Sure, they'd almost certainly get killed there by Golden State, but the most recent Finals have reiterated the age-old lesson that once you get to the Finals, you never know what can happen to turn the tables.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 05:20:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I don't get why you are so opposed to Kevin Love then.  Love while not a good defender, is the rebounder, scorer, and passing big man that would fit perfectly on Boston, eliminate a lot of the teams real glaring weaknesses, and elevate Boston to the next level (still under Cleveland, GS level but getting close to the LAC level).

Because Thomas - Butler - Horford is WAY BETTER in my opinion than Thomas - Love - Horford.

I think the ceiling for a Thomas - Love - Horford team is getting stomped in the ECF.

The ceiling for a Thomas - Butler - Horford team is making the Finals, with a non-zero chance of getting really lucky, hitting some big shots, and winning a title.

Agree Thomas, Butler Horford is a lot better trio and I think Love is not going to age very gracefully. If we have our bulldogs defensively against Golden State anything is possible (though presumably we would lose some in a trade for butler.

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Agree Thomas, Butler Horford is a lot better trio and I think Love is not going to age very gracefully. If we have our bulldogs defensively against Golden State anything is possible (though presumably we would lose some in a trade for butler.
Thomas and Butler aren't going to age well either.  And Horford is already old.

For me, Love is the exact type of player this team needs.  Rebounder and interior scorer (that can also bomb three's).  Love ticks off pretty much every major weakness on the team except rim protector. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

With that said, we probably win 50 games if Crowder didn't get hurt last season and if all goes well we should do even better this season. Why break the bank for Butler if we could achieve exactly what you said (50-60 wins/good but not great) without him?

I mostly agree, which is why I've said that giving up what Chicago was probably asking for -- all three remaining BRK picks plus Crowder and Bradley / Smart -- would not have been worth it.

That said, I think that as constructed this team is probably gonna lose in the 2nd round, though I think they have a chance of earning the right to be killed by Cleveland in the ECF.

Swap out Bradley for Jimmy Butler and I think the Celts would be clearly the second best team in the conference, with a puncher's chance of beating Cleveland and getting to the Finals. 

Sure, they'd almost certainly get killed there by Golden State, but the most recent Finals have reiterated the age-old lesson that once you get to the Finals, you never know what can happen to turn the tables.
Butler will cost a lot more than just Bradley though.  What else you giving up to lose to Cleveland because there is no way that team gets by Cleveland with James?  None at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip