Author Topic: Butler at Olympics shows not giving up a lot was smart move Danny  (Read 3497 times)

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I think that Butlers performance and presence at the Olympics solidifies Danny's decision not to give up too much in order to get him. When you put him out there with actual stars he looks like he's at the tail end of the pack. Overpaying for a guy who really wasn't going to push us over the edge would have been a franchise killer. Danny has his eyes on a Championship, not a perennial conference finals ousting which is at best what Butler would have given. Count me as not impressed.

Re: Butler at Olympics shows not giving up a lot was smart move Danny
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I understand what you're suggesting, and you may not be wrong, but on the other hand, nobody the Celts have right now is on Butler's level, and there's nothing like a guarantee that they'll get anybody in the next 3-4 years that approaches his value.

I think Butler is at a bit of a disadvantage in a team USA type setting because his shooting is less than phenomenal and his on-ball skills, while excellent, are not quite at the same level as, say, KD or Irving.  He's just not going to "pop" when he's playing mostly off-ball in a lesser offensive role.

Butler's value really shows through when he's utilized as "the guy" on both ends.  Which is another way of saying that his value lies in the fact that he can carry that kind of heavy load (ie he's exactly the kind of wing the Celts are missing).  If he's the 4th option out on the floor and doesn't handle the ball much, yeah, he's kind of an extreme luxury.

Would swapping Jaylen Brown and Avery Bradley -- for example -- for Jimmy Butler make the Celts a contender?

Probably not, but they'd be the clear-cut 2nd best team in the East, with a core trio that forms the holy trinity of All-Star talent at guard, wing, and big.  Not a bad spot to be in.

I tend to think the Bulls were asking for all of the BRK picks plus Bradley or Crowder, maybe more.  Not worth it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
pulling too much out of olympic ball. he'll be fine if he's healthy.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It was our understanding that Danny was willing to give up Bradley and Brown (the #3), but the Bulls wanted considerably more. I would have been okay with that deal and am not psyched about paying Bradley 20 something million dollars a year in two years, but that is two years away. I am also now aboard the Brown train.

Still, this is supposed to be 'our' time and I will take all-stars without it being an extreme overpay. With two more Brooklyn picks on the horizon, we should be okay now and in the future. The one thing about Butler is while he is used to be the 'the guy', I am not sure I want him as my absolute #1 if we are contending for a championship.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I understand what you're suggesting, and you may not be wrong, but on the other hand, nobody the Celts have right now is on Butler's level, and there's nothing like a guarantee that they'll get anybody in the next 3-4 years that approaches his value.

I think Butler is at a bit of a disadvantage in a team USA type setting because his shooting is less than phenomenal and his on-ball skills, while excellent, are not quite at the same level as, say, KD or Irving.  He's just not going to "pop" when he's playing mostly off-ball in a lesser offensive role.

Butler's value really shows through when he's utilized as "the guy" on both ends.  Which is another way of saying that his value lies in the fact that he can carry that kind of heavy load (ie he's exactly the kind of wing the Celts are missing).  If he's the 4th option out on the floor and doesn't handle the ball much, yeah, he's kind of an extreme luxury.

Would swapping Jaylen Brown and Avery Bradley -- for example -- for Jimmy Butler make the Celts a contender?

Probably not, but they'd be the clear-cut 2nd best team in the East, with a core trio that forms the holy trinity of All-Star talent at guard, wing, and big.  Not a bad spot to be in.

I tend to think the Bulls were asking for all of the BRK picks plus Bradley or Crowder, maybe more.  Not worth it.
Not disagreeing that he is a very good player. I think the main point which it appears that you are agreeing with is that he doesn't make us a championship team. Danny doesn't want to be a few games better and clearly his talent doesn't equal more than that. To give up a little in order to get him is fine. To give up more would have killed us and locked us into that also ran category. I want a title, not a conference championship appearance. Butler is a tier 2 star and we've got 2 of those already in Thomas and Horford. We need a tier one and right now our best bet is to draft one.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Not disagreeing that he is a very good player. I think the main point which it appears that you are agreeing with is that he doesn't make us a championship team. Danny doesn't want to be a few games better and clearly his talent doesn't equal more than that. To give up a little in order to get him is fine. To give up more would have killed us and locked us into that also ran category. I want a title, not a conference championship appearance. Butler is a tier 2 star and we've got 2 of those already in Thomas and Horford. We need a tier one and right now our best bet is to draft one.

He's still capable of being the 2nd best player on a championship team and would be a massive upgrade for us. Butler is a tier above Horford and IT because he's a better offensive player than Horford and a better defender than both  IT and Horford. Horford is close behind defensively but Jimmy is also quite a bit younger.

He's an All defensive player and was until he became injured, a top 10 scorer...I'm not sure how many of those kinda two way guys are in the NBA right now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:13:12 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I agree. Butler is very good, but the reported asking price was crazy, and Kevin Durant he ain't.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 02:15:04 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

He's still capable of being the 2nd best player on a championship team and would be a massive upgrade for us. Butler is a tier above Horford and IT because he's a better offensive player than Horford and a better defender than both  IT and Horford. Horford is close behind defensively but Jimmy is also quite a bit younger.

He's an All defensive player and was until he became injured, a top 10 scorer...I'm not sure how many of those kinda two way guys are in the NBA right now.
Great.  So we get a 2nd best guy and give up all our chances at any one who could be a number one.  You're making my point.  We're also rans then and not champions.  The only way we get a number one is to draft him and you don't do that by trading your top picks and multiple #3s for a #2 guy.  You have to keep rolling the dice for a #1 in the draft.  We are in a unique position where we have a bunch of #3s and 4s yet still have high draft picks coming.  We just have to get lucky on one of them and we're good.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
on a team where Carmelo is the leader, I wouldn't take too much stock in a players nba worth. But yeah, I think Danny made the right move in not overpaying for Butler... Crowder, Avery and 3 was too much.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 10:04:22 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Butler is still very good but I agree with thinking he needs to be properly valued.  Chicago is asking for superstar price and he's not a superstar.  Didn't need the Olympics to see that but I think it shows.

At the right price he is a player I like so I don't mean to tear him down but I think it showed Chicago was asking for a lot.  They really don't want to trade him at all it seems but will take the call if you want to pay that much.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:11:01 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 01:36:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A shorter version of the point I made earlier, to reiterate:

Butler is really, really good, and he's exactly the kind of player the Celts need.

But on the other hand, he probably doesn't make the Celts a contender.

Yet, imagine for a second that the outcome of this post-Pierce/Garnett rebuild is that we get to watch a not-quite-contender win 50-60 games a season and numerous playoff series over the course of 4-5 years.

Would it be the worst thing in the world to peak as a not-quite-elite team with 3 super-complementary All-Stars? 

I agree that winning a title is the #1 goal, but we should acknowledge that it's possible that if the Celts hold out indefinitely for that guy who will make the team a contender, they may never get that guy.  And while they wait for that guy, they may miss out on adding the kinds of players who would make them very good, albeit a step below the very best.

Peaking at "very good with an outside chance of making the Finals and maybe winning it all" is pretty good, if you ask me.  Occasionally teams like that actually do win.  Even without a title, that's probably better than holding out forever for an MVP type player and never getting past the second round.

None of this is to say that the Celts necessarily should have gone all-in on Butler.  I just don't agree  with the idea that the only major move worth making is one that makes the Celts a no-doubt contender.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Butler is really, really good, and he's exactly the kind of player the Celts need.

Yet, imagine for a second that the outcome of this post-Pierce/Garnett rebuild is that we get to watch a not-quite-contender win 50-60 games a season and numerous playoff series over the course of 4-5 years.

Would it be the worst thing in the world to peak as a not-quite-elite team with 3 super-complementary All-Stars? 

I agree that winning a title is the #1 goal, but we should acknowledge that it's possible that if the Celts hold out indefinitely for that guy who will make the team a contender, they may never get that guy.  And while they wait for that guy, they may miss out on adding the kinds of players who would make them very good, albeit a step below the very best.

Peaking at "very good with an outside chance of making the Finals and maybe winning it all" is pretty good, if you ask me.  Occasionally teams like that actually do win.  Even without a title, that's probably better than holding out forever for an MVP type player and never getting past the second round.

None of this is to say that the Celts necessarily should have gone all-in on Butler.  I just don't agree  with the idea that the only major move worth making is one that makes the Celts a no-doubt contender.

I want the chip just like everyone else but I have long stated that I would rather enjoy good basketball even if we don't get the chip than watch a lot of losing and still never get the chip.

With that said, we probably win 50 games if Crowder didn't get hurt last season and if all goes well we should do even better this season. Why break the bank for Butler if we could achieve exactly what you said (50-60 wins/good but not great) without him?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'll keep Crowder and Bradley over what Butler would cost.

It isn't like Crowder and Bradley are slouchers either... Two of them is probably almost as good as Butler, so why overpay so much for a marginal upgrade?

And jeez Louise, this topic has been beaten to death lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'll keep Crowder and Bradley over what Butler would cost.

It isn't like Crowder and Bradley are slouchers either... Two of them is probably almost as good as Butler, so why overpay so much for a marginal upgrade?

And jeez Louise, this topic has been beaten to death lol.

And you aren't even mentioning the #3 pick as part of that package. I like Butler, but like you said he isn't going to provide any more than a Crowder/AB combo and we would have also given up one of our only chances at a potential MVP in such a high pick.

Now, if Durant would have chosen us with Butler, then that was a colossal miscalculation on Ainge's part, but I doubt that he didn't already have his mind made up with GSW.

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I don't get why you are so opposed to Kevin Love then.  Love while not a good defender, is the rebounder, scorer, and passing big man that would fit perfectly on Boston, eliminate a lot of the teams real glaring weaknesses, and elevate Boston to the next level (still under Cleveland, GS level but getting close to the LAC level). 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:49:10 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip