Author Topic: Did OKC make a mistake not trading Durant at the 2015-2016 trade deadline?  (Read 5575 times)

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
What would have they gotten?

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Their mistake was not getting a good enough supporting cast around Durant. Keeping him until the end was the right move.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Let's just say they would have moved him at the deadline, what kind of package are they actually going to get for a guy that was going to be a free agent in the summer.  I have no doubt Boston would have given up the 2016 Brooklyn pick and probably Crowder and then Johnson for salary purposes, but how much more than that would Boston give up?  Would the Lakers have given up Russell or Randle for Durant to come to that non-contending team?  Would the Knicks have given up Porzingis?  Was Golden State going to break up a team on pace for the all time win record?  Washington wasn't going to give up Wall, but maybe Beal.  The only team where I think a deal might have been realistically possible that would have theoretically been enough value for OKC would have been the Clippers and Griffin.  I think LAC takes the risk on Durant and would have traded Griffin.  Griffin would have made sense for OKC as well in that scenario, but outside of that (and who knows if it happens), no other team really made sense. 

When you start looking at it like that, unless Griffin was available why would OKC trade Durant?  They were better off going for it and taking their chances, then settling for 2nd rate assets, which is all you really get with an impending free agent. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip