Author Topic: If you could only have 15 movies  (Read 20940 times)

Re: If you could only have 15 movies
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 07:33:28 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Color Purple
Shawshank Redemption
Slingblade
The Temptations
(I would be fine w/ The Five Heartbeats or Jacksons: an american dream but you asked for 15 and I can't take them all sadly)
Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood
The Lion King
Ray
A Time To Kill
Grease Good Will Hunting
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
(I would be happy with most of Leo's movies though)
John Q or Man on Fire (Denzel should count as 1 movie because I love all his stuff and would take them all)
Bustin' Loose
The Marva Collins Story
(I feel about her work the way I do Denzel's, "Queen Cicely" is how I see her)
What's Love Got to Do With It (any Angela Bassett movie)
The Golden Child Coming To America (I would be happy with most of his stuff including comedy specials)

This is the worst thread ever (jk lol)! I am literally going crazy about all the movies I can't have!! Thank God this is not reality!

Ugh... this hurt haha SMH.

Edit: had to make changes. thanks for the reminders people, there are a lot of good lists!

Coming to America is such a classic. The first R rated movie my dad took us too.

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 07:40:01 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
To this day in remembrance of Coming to America I joke a good pinishment for annoying, inconsiderate behavior towards others should be a drive by strawberry shake thrown off their chest. Non violent yet they wear the humiliation and everyone knows thT person was a jerk to someone. Ha.

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 07:43:49 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I have to compile my list but two I like for rewatching are Scrooge with Albert Finney. It's the only musical where I don't mind the songs and wow does Finny do a great job at playing an old man. Uplifting for me, and I wanted a Christmas movie in hand. Another is jaws. I could have that playing in the background almost every day when in the cape during summer.

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2016, 07:46:55 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Maybe it's better that you get every movie from a collection like marvel/DC, hobbit etc. also everyone got Star Wars and Indy jones as freebies anyways.

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Tp
Have to give this thought.  Will add as I think:

Godfather I and II
The Deer Hunter
Shawshank Redemption
Lost in Translation
The Royal Tenebaums
Pulp Fiction
Step Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Moonrise Kingdom
Death to Smoochie
Unforgiven
Glory
No Direction Home
The Town

Death to Smoochie had two parts where a drink almost came up laughing for me. Robin Williams: " it's a c##k!" And " I gotta go take a dump." So funny.
robin williams was amazing in it but also edward norton he plays smoochie to a T, wide eyed and innocent
step brothers has the "battle scene" between will farrell and john reilly that i cannot watch without laughing so hard i cry

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 08:23:28 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
In step brothers, what  they did to the dad while sleepwalking? I lose it every time.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
..as your home collection, what would they be? By my friends rules we thought  up , we granted everyone the Star Wars trilogy and the Indiana jones first 3 films because we're all dorks and consider them holy trilogies.
  Different things we thought up is considering rewatchability, just having as part of the collection cuz you loved it that much, and you may or may not want to consider genres. Like you may want to have a Christmas movie on hand or a horror. To each his/ her own.

So it's not just about quality, but rewatchability, too? And Star Wars and Indy are free? Hmm, still pretty hard to whittle it down to 15...

Oldboy (korean version)
Trainspotting
City of God
Pulp Fiction
Shaun of the Dead
Amélie
Mutiny on the Bounty (Brando version)
Irma la Douce
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Boogie Nights
Magnolia
The Muppet Christmas Carol (don't laugh)
Life Is Beautiful
Hurlyburly

and one of the many italian Spencer/Hill movies nobody in the US has ever heard of. Probably "Il Soldato di Ventura", although it's only Spencer without Hill...so maybe "...altrimenti ci arrabbiamo!" or "Nati con la camicia".
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2016, 08:29:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
COMEDIES
Spaceballs
Tommy Boy
The Proposal
Talladega Knights
A Knights Tale

DRAMAS
Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
Gladiator
Fight Club
The Natural

FANTASY
Lord of the Rings 1, 2, 3
The Last Dragon
Batman Begins

Think that about covers them.  I generally watch any Ferrell or Sandler comedy that comes on, but enjoy Talladega Knights the most.
Gave this some thought and realized that I have to watch Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon every single time they are on tv.  Now I don't know if that means they should be movies I would want in my collection, but it probably does.  I'd probably knock Fight Club and Usual Suspects out as while great movies, once you know the twist a bit is taken from the overall movie experience.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2016, 08:51:42 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
..as your home collection, what would they be? By my friends rules we thought  up , we granted everyone the Star Wars trilogy and the Indiana jones first 3 films because we're all dorks and consider them holy trilogies.
  Different things we thought up is considering rewatchability, just having as part of the collection cuz you loved it that much, and you may or may not want to consider genres. Like you may want to have a Christmas movie on hand or a horror. To each his/ her own.

So it's not just about quality, but rewatchability, too? And Star Wars and Indy are free? Hmm, still pretty hard to whittle it down to 15...

Oldboy (korean version)
Trainspotting
City of God
Pulp Fiction
Shaun of the Dead
Amélie
Irma la Douce
Boogie Nights
Magnolia
Life Is Beautiful
Hurlyburly

and one of the many italian Spencer/Hill movies nobody in the US has ever heard of. Probably "Il Soldato di Ventura", although it's only Spencer without Hill...so maybe "...altrimenti ci arrabbiamo!" or "Nati con la camicia".

Old Boy was awesome! but creepy in a way. The American remake wasn't too bad. Elizabeth Olsen is a wonderful actress

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2016, 08:55:46 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I know there are a ton of marvel fans, Star Wars , Star Trek, maybe Rambo, rocky. I'm thinking outside of what we deemed the two holy trilogies of Star Wars and Indy that any other collection of sequels only counts as 1 pick. Just making this up as I go along to make it more interesting.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2016, 08:56:59 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I saw the original old boy as well and yikes  was it creepy but really good.

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Step brothers is currently my favorite comedy ever but it changes a lot.

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2016, 09:02:25 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Color Purple
Shawshank Redemption
Slingblade
The Temptations
(I would be fine w/ The Five Heartbeats or Jacksons: an american dream but you asked for 15 and I can't take them all sadly)
Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood
The Lion King
Ray
A Time To Kill
Grease Good Will Hunting
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
(I would be happy with most of Leo's movies though)
John Q or Man on Fire (Denzel should count as 1 movie because I love all his stuff and would take them all)
Bustin' Loose
The Marva Collins Story
(I feel about her work the way I do Denzel's, "Queen Cicely" is how I see her)
What's Love Got to Do With It (any Angela Bassett movie)
The Golden Child Coming To America (I would be happy with most of his stuff including comedy specials)

This is the worst thread ever (jk lol)! I am literally going crazy about all the movies I can't have!! Thank God this is not reality!

Ugh... this hurt haha SMH.

Edit: had to make changes. thanks for the reminders people, there are a lot of good lists!

Coming to America is such a classic. The first R rated movie my dad took us too.

Morgan Freeman in shawshank is where I first realised how amazing he is. What a presence that guy has.

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

Oldboy (korean version)
Trainspotting
City of God
Pulp Fiction
Shaun of the Dead
Amélie
Irma la Douce
Boogie Nights
Magnolia
Life Is Beautiful
Hurlyburly

Old Boy was awesome! but creepy in a way. The American remake wasn't too bad. Elizabeth Olsen is a wonderful actress

I didn't even like pulp fiction when I first saw it, then by the next night I had to go see it again. Great one.

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Tp
Have to give this thought.  Will add as I think:

Godfather I and II
The Deer Hunter
Shawshank Redemption
Lost in Translation
The Royal Tenebaums
Pulp Fiction
Step Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Moonrise Kingdom
Death to Smoochie
Unforgiven
Glory
No Direction Home
The Town

Death to Smoochie had two parts where a drink almost came up laughing for me. Robin Williams: " it's a c##k!" And " I gotta go take a dump." So funny.
robin williams was amazing in it but also edward norton he plays smoochie to a T, wide eyed and innocent
step brothers has the "battle scene" between will farrell and john reilly that i cannot watch without laughing so hard i cry

The deer hunter is so brilliant. It almost seems boring at first but as the movie goes on you feel you really know the characters. Chilling movie. My dad can't watch it because he says it's TOO real. I feel it's like a must see and at the same time there's never a GOOD time to watch it because if you're down its gonna make you depressed and if you're happy it's gonna bum you out too. But just a beautiful, sad tale.