Author Topic: Ridiculous Post On Trade for Love  (Read 6019 times)

Re: Ridiculous Post On Trade for Love
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

That puts Boston as the clear #2 team in the East something they are not now.

I don't think it really improves their chances of getting out of the East, though, and it probably precludes the possibility of signing a max free agent next summer, so what's the point?

To go from "quite possibly the 2nd best team in the East, anyways" to "clear #2 team in the East"?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jztyxpn

Picks

If Sacramento wants something small (like some seconds) for Rudy Gay we can use him as filler.   Cleveland I think would rather have 21 million off the books next year then keep Love.     Say Lebron (slowing down) would slide in the PF spot.   This would work for them.    KO, Amir are solid and would get paid next year.....    Rudy Gay can still score better than Love in bunches.     Sacramento gets Rozier...     better than some seconds.   We toss in the Clippers and Memphis 1st round picks..... and we got a nice squad. 

TI/Smart/Jackson
Bradely/Green (Young or Hunter)
Jae/Brown
Love/JJ/Mickey
AL/Zeller
Diggles

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I would be open to a trade for Kevin Love if it was for the following package:

Amir Johnson + Jae Crowder + James Young

For

Kevin Love

He is completely wrong on that team and would add another scoring dimension to a team which lacks scoring options.

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Is it possible Love was better when he was fat and could carve out space under the basket better?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 10:19:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

I don't think it really improves their chances of getting out of the East, though, and it probably precludes the possibility of signing a max free agent next summer, so what's the point?
Of course it improves Boston chances because it significantly improves Boston's chances of avoiding Cleveland till the ECF and for Boston to actually be in the ECF to play Cleveland. 

And let's just say Boston can make room for a max free agent, what max free agent is going to come to Boston that is better than Kevin Love?  It wasn't that long ago that most of this board was excited that Kevin Love was maybe going to sign here. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Is it possible Love was better when he was fat and could carve out space under the basket better?
I liked him better back then.  But he was probably better when he first lost his weight.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 11:31:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I liked him better back then.  But he was probably better when he first lost his weight.
You might be right, but I like the idea of the Celtics getting a power forward who fans can complain needs to put on weight.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

To go from "quite possibly the 2nd best team in the East, anyways" to "clear #2 team in the East"?

I don't see that as being worth it, to be honest.

Right now, for me the only two options that are interesting are, "Move that clearly makes the Celts a contender to make the Finals, at least," and "Use and develop the Brooklyn picks and hope at least one turns into an elite player."
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Of course it improves Boston chances because it significantly improves Boston's chances of avoiding Cleveland till the ECF and for Boston to actually be in the ECF to play Cleveland. 

And let's just say Boston can make room for a max free agent, what max free agent is going to come to Boston that is better than Kevin Love?  It wasn't that long ago that most of this board was excited that Kevin Love was maybe going to sign here.

I don't think Kevin Love increases the Celts' chances of getting past Cleveland.  And trading Crowder & Smart to Cleveland makes the Cavs a more challenging opponent.

It'd be nice to make the ECF, but the Celts already have the chance to do that with their current group.  And to me, making the ECF only to be beaten handily by the Cavs is not much better than losing a close-fought matchup with Toronto, Detroit, Atlanta, or Indiana in the second round.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It's pretty rare to have 2 contenders in the same conference make a significant trade with each other so I doubt it would ever happen.  Maybe if the Knicks and somehow the Cavs struggle out of the gate maybe Lebron gets Melo to play with him.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't think Kevin Love increases the Celts' chances of getting past Cleveland.  And trading Crowder & Smart to Cleveland makes the Cavs a more challenging opponent.

It'd be nice to make the ECF, but the Celts already have the chance to do that with their current group.  And to me, making the ECF only to be beaten handily by the Cavs is not much better than losing a close-fought matchup with Toronto, Detroit, Atlanta, or Indiana in the second round.
I don't disagree that Cleveland would be heavily favored and would more than likely beat Boston, but that is a result of Lebron James.  Once James starts to fade, the East will be open again and I think Kevin Love puts Boston in a much better position than Jae Crowder and Marcus Smart going forward, especially since Boston still has its best assets available to do additional roster tinkering (whether via drafting players or trading them for a star). 

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
that site also claims we are looking to trade for Monta Ellis

We could definitely use another combo guard.
Well, at least we're giving up 2 of them in the process ;)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't disagree that Cleveland would be heavily favored and would more than likely beat Boston, but that is a result of Lebron James.  Once James starts to fade, the East will be open again and I think Kevin Love puts Boston in a much better position than Jae Crowder and Marcus Smart going forward, especially since Boston still has its best assets available to do additional roster tinkering (whether via drafting players or trading them for a star).

I was into the idea of getting Love back when our starting bigs were Sullinger and Olynyk / Amir.

Now, we have Horford, who fills a similar role but is immeasurably better defensively. 

The Celts are exceptionally shallow on the wing right now, at a time when it is hugely advantageous to have as many quality two-way wings as possible.

I'd prefer to keep Crowder and Smart and use cap space next summer to add more talent and/or depth in that area.  Love just doesn't make as much sense to me as he once did.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I was into the idea of getting Love back when our starting bigs were Sullinger and Olynyk / Amir.

Now, we have Horford, who fills a similar role but is immeasurably better defensively. 

The Celts are exceptionally shallow on the wing right now, at a time when it is hugely advantageous to have as many quality two-way wings as possible.

I'd prefer to keep Crowder and Smart and use cap space next summer to add more talent and/or depth in that area.  Love just doesn't make as much sense to me as he once did.
Well the trade I proposed in this thread was Love and Smith (around 12 million) for Johnson, Jerekbo, Crowder and Smart

So that would leave Boston's basic rotation as something like this

PG - Thomas 35, Rozier 13
SG - Bradley 32, Green 16
SF - Smith 30, Brown 18
PF - Love 33, Olynyk 15
C - Horford 33, Zeller/Olynyk 15

Deep Bench/DLeague - Mickey, Bentil, Jackson, Hunter, and then Young or Nader

Now obviously that team loses some wing defense, but I think ultimately it is a much better team and a team that is set up much better for future success.  It also has a couple of players that don't need to be on the team and thus could still add a veteran or two to take up some spots.

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Smith hasn't even signed with Cleveland yet, so there's that.

In any case, I don't think Smith can take the biggest-perimeter-player-on-the-floor assignment.  I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of betting on him to fill a major role on a team without a LeBron-type leader and focal point.

I can see where you're coming from on this, I just disagree.  I'd rather keep Crowder and Smart -- maintaining the one major strength this team has, which is multiple aggressive ball-hawk guys on the perimeter -- and then use cap space next summer to go after a wing. 

Maybe next summer the Celts can land Gordon Hayward.  Or perhaps it would be a less costly, less exciting name like Gallinari, Gay, or Casspi, with cap room left over to bolster depth elsewhere.

Bottom line for me is that the Celts need size with shooting at the 3/4.  But where we differ is that I think they need somebody who brings those attributes along with the ability to guard multiple positions in a playoff series -- with an emphasis on switching onto smaller players -- something Love has shown he can't be counted on to do.

In any case, I'd rather move forward with a core of Thomas, Crowder, and Horford with cap space to add more perimeter talent, as opposed to locking into Thomas / Love / Horford.  That trio would place an enormous burden on the SG / SF spots to feature above average size, athleticism, and perimeter defense.  The Celts wouldn't have much money to add talent at those spots outside of the draft.
- Mark Twain