Poll

What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?

2018 Brooklyn Pick
4 (7.1%)
2018 Brooklyn Pick + Terry Rozier
3 (5.4%)
Marcus Smart (straight up)
13 (23.2%)
2017 Brooklyn Pick Swap
5 (8.9%)
No thanks, I don't want him.
31 (55.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?  (Read 15173 times)

Re: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 04:05:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Marcus Smart and a 1st probably gets it done

I've decided that from now on I'm only going to respond to your posts in memes or gifs. That's the only way I can properly demonstrate my angst when you say these types of things.

But still... it would probably get it done.

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 04:24:13 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I've decided that from now on I'm only going to respond to your posts in memes or gifs. That's the only way I can properly demonstrate my angst when you say these types of things.

So would IT, Crowder, and Bradley, too, yet nobody is proposing that.  ;)

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 04:25:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yeah... IT, Crowder and Bradley would be a bit of an overpay for Nerlens.  I'd rather keep the three of them than package them together for Nerlens.  It would probably get it done, though.

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2016, 12:26:18 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Yeah... IT, Crowder and Bradley would be a bit of an overpay for Nerlens.  I'd rather keep the three of them than package them together for Nerlens.  It would probably get it done, though.
Okafor should be our guy and in IMO is the most undervalued asset/player in the league. So, renting Noel makes no sense when we could get Okafor for the same price or a little more.

Marcus Smart
Jahlil Okafor

IMO Okafor could be the best BIG in the league and he would be exactly what this team needs. IMO his defense will get much better, 19 year old 280lb CENTERS usually (almost always) struggle defensively....especially when the team they are playing for is literally the worst case scenario for and exploited Okafors weaknesses.......BUT THAT LOWERED HIS VALUE AND IS A GOOD THING.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2016, 12:50:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, call me an idiot, I guess, but Marcus Smart plus a non-BRK 1st seems like what Philly would expect at the very least.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 12:56:18 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Yeah, call me an idiot, I guess, but Marcus Smart plus a non-BRK 1st seems like what Philly would expect at the very least.
Based on what both have shown so far, I'd say this is accurate... Though I don't know why Philly would want Smart.  Simmons is their point forward.  They need shooters.

And in defense of Smart, a lot of people here are basing his trade value on the leap they expect him to make this year.   If he makes the leap, the discussion changes.  But if we are looking at these two prospects right now, Smart + a 1st for Noel makes sense as a pure value swap.  Noel takes a little hit because he's getting paid a year from now.  If they were both at the same points in their rookie contracts, philly would probably expect even more than that. 

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2016, 04:54:59 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I'll take that.

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 06:00:35 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

It was widely reported that they couldn't get a top-ten pick for him in this past draft, and they were ultimately going to trade him straight up for Teague, who was ultimately traded for the 12th pick. So his trade value is pretty well set right now around the league, i.e. a mid to late lottery pick. So Smart and a first is most definitely an overlay at this point all things/context considered.

Of course, you said what "they'd expect," which is totally different than what his trade value across the league is, or at least what they'd end up getting for him.

But I agree with LarBrd33 that I don't think Smart is that great of a fit for them anyways. They need more shooting, and while they could surely use his perimeter D, they have bigger holes to fill. Rozier's offensive potential and better shooting makes him more of a realistic trade target than Smart, and he's more in line with Noel's value - Rozier, Young, and a non-Brooklyn pick for Noel.

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 04:01:42 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The Philly bigs are an interesting situation. Everyone thinks they need to move one before the start of the season but the problem is that right now getting fair value from their perspective is impossible. I don't mean winning the trade I just mean coming out of the trade feeling like you still have a future piece.

Noel is going to be hard to move for the simple reason that he had 1 year left on his rookie deal. GMs around the league will be wary of trading too much because they know it's going to affect their 2018 cap space in a big way. Teams like Boston who are still looking to add a top tier player don't want to take themselves out of the FA market just yet. So for Philly it's probably easier to pay him and then look at trading him after he's signed that contract, if at all.

Okafor is the more sensible one to move but he's only had one year in the league and was a top 4 pick so they aren't letting him go for the sake of it. Really they would need either a pg of the future (Kris Dunn) or a serious wing prospect in return. Neither of those is really out there right now, so why rush?
They can throw out some goofy lineups this year and see how it goes. Let's be honest they are still looking at a too pick in this year's draft so they aren't going to suddenly try to win 30 games.

Here's a thought, post lottery we have the 1st pick, Philly have the 4th, LA have the 3rd. Would you trade the 1st pick for the Philly pick + Okafor?

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 04:44:37 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Which of our rookies is an RFA this season? Olynyk?

What if we offered Olynyk, filler and 1st for  Noel? Is that a fair deal
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I think that's a fair deal. I think Philly fans are of the opinion that a trade shouldn't return a big. Also I don't think we should dismiss KOs importance to us, he does a great job keeping our offense flowing. But yeah value wise I call that fair

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2016, 07:58:01 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
He's going to cost money next year (unrestricted free agent) which is why there was rumors he could be had for the 3rd pick (kris dunn).  Colangelo since came out and seemed to suggest all the rumors were false, but the contract situation definitely impacts his value.  I'd guess he can be had for less than okafor.

it was actually the 3rd pick, two late first rounders (21 and 24?) and covington (an ok bench player).

Colangelo denying he would have traded one year of Rookie contract Noel for the 3rd pick either shows he is a moron or a liar. Perhaps he is both.

RIght, so basically Nerlens for #3.  Which wouldn't have been a bad deal for Philly considering the money they need to pay Nerlens next Summer.  Their price for Okafor should be higher.

At this point, I figure a deal around someone like Bradley and picks might intrigue them, but they are probably just better off waiting to see how this team plays together.  Also, I don't think it makes much logical sense for Boston to go after Nerlens at this point if they want to maintain cap flexibility next year.

So pretending later first round picks are worthless now? Got it.

Side note: Pretty hilarious we constantly heard about Philly having 4 first round picks as assets, but when they were prepared to be traded to the celtics they were worthless. I mean.. lulz
That's on you.  Can't change your rules because it doesn't fit your agenda.   There's been a full year of spew from folks like you saying how worthless Philly's late picks were.   So fine... they were worthless.  Especially to us, considering we had to use both of our late 1sts on draft-and-stash, had to trade our two borderline 1st rounders for a future pick, and will likely end up waiving the guys we took in the 2nd round. 

So the rumor was they were willing to trade Noel (restricted free agent at the end of the year who might count as 20 mil per year on their cap) for Kris Dunn.   Philly came out and said all the rumors were just coming from other teams trying to push their own story.   But let's assume the offer actually happened.  That gives you a sense of what they want for Noel.   Okafor will probably cost more than that.  BUt I don't really expect them to trade Okafor unless they get a serious player/asset in return, so it's a moot point.
You cant change the rules to fit your agenda either. Why are we all of a sudden believing a rumor that was shot down by both sides?
You're right.  The rumor was probably nonsense. Most of the rumors we hear regarding Philly are probably nonsense.   It will be fun to see how they play together this year.  Sounds like there's some optimism about how Simmons and Okafor will play together.  Embiid will probably be on a minutes restriction.  Noel will continue being a big help defensively.  Lots of young talent on that team.
Keeping all the bigs into the season is a bit of a risk, as I do think it will be really hard to keep everyone happy and playing well. I do agree with your key premise. Why trade Okafor or Noel for garbage? If they are only worth garbage now than the risk is way greater than reward of trading them now.

I hope it fails in Philly. I think theres a good chance it could. So much talent though. Team could be scary if things they can manage it correctly.
I hope it fails for Philly as well.   Though, I don't think the log jam is as big an issue as people are making it out to be.   Maybe they are built old-school, but whatever.  Bird was basically a 6'9 point-forward with two 7 footers by his side (with another 7 footer off the bench).   

I was just reading a pretty nice article in in thesixerssense.com that talked about how all of these pieces could fit together.  For one thing, they seem to think Gerald Henderson might flourish in his role (with Sergio Rodriguez getting solid minutes off the bench).   They expect Ben Simmons to get something like 34mpg as the point forward.   They expect Saric to come off the bench giving like 21mpg.   They expect Embiid to get around 24mpg due to his minutes restriction.   So there will still be plenty of minutes for Okafor and Noel.   SImmons passing mixed with Okafor's interior offensive game/cutting could work out well for them.   If we were in charge of Philly, we'd probably wait to see how these guys fit together before making any moves.   Perceived trade value can only go up if Philly starts looking like a competent basketball team.
Excellent point. Having 5 talented bigs is not the worst thing for Philly with Embiid playing less and Simmons could probably play point in stints. Just getting these guys minutes, see who Embiid can be, showcasing these guys.. Bright future. Henderson I think is a great reliable pickup for them too.

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If you're spending assets to acquire Noel, you obviously plan to sign him long term. Can we afford to spend about $25 million/year on Noel plus $28 million/year on Horford, half our cap space, and not have a top twenty player? It just seems like a counterintuitive way to build a contender. Taking more flyers on shot blockers with our late 1st round picks and many of our 2nd rounders might have been a more cost efficient way to go. Hopefully, the Mickey pick, though undersized, may be part of the answer, if they would actually play him. 

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

A package with KO would make sense to see what type of big works best with Simmons. Embid the physical shot blocking Center, Okafor the ISO center, KO the stretch five. If Embid is healthy he can do 70% of what Noel does so it's interesting idea. So yes with Embid indeed healthy then I believe Rozier and KO for Noel would be a great deal for 76ers. As far as C's losing a stretch five AJ, JJ, and Hordford aren't too bad stretching the floor either so the loss isn't too bad.

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think patience is important in this case, they have no leverage. We can just wait and offer him a contract. But there are multiple better scenarios to upgrade our frontcourt a noel trade would hinder.

1. We draft Giles
2. We trade for Cousins
3. Blake wants to sign with us

I would offer nothing more than rozier and a second rounder. Don't waste our ammo for him.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd