Poll

What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?

2018 Brooklyn Pick
4 (7.1%)
2018 Brooklyn Pick + Terry Rozier
3 (5.4%)
Marcus Smart (straight up)
13 (23.2%)
2017 Brooklyn Pick Swap
5 (8.9%)
No thanks, I don't want him.
31 (55.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?  (Read 15235 times)

Re: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
A mid first rounder should do it.

Maybe only a late first closer to the trade deadline.

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If a mid 1st would have done it, I see very little reason to believe we wouldn't have jumped on trading #16 for him at the draft.  There's no point to Philly doing that.

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

If a mid 1st would have done it, I see very little reason to believe we wouldn't have jumped on trading #16 for him at the draft.  There's no point to Philly doing that.

Last year of his contract.

They are not going to pay him in 12 months time. And everyone knows it.

His value is a lot lower than it should be.

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2016, 05:22:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Why wouldn't they pay him?  They gotta pay someone... might as well be Noel.

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2016, 05:25:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Pass on Noel. No interest in paying what he will command on the open market. Not a real game changer in my book.

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Noel is not in their long term plans. He cannot play with J.Okafor. Or Embiid.

They are not giving Noel a max contract in this situation.

Nor would his trade value improve much beyond where it is now if they did give the max and tried to trade him afterwards.

Noel cannot do much to improve his trade value while playing at PF next to J.Okafor either. Noel needs to be playing 30+ minutes a night at center to raise his value. That is not going to happen.

Philly are blocked in. Not much they can do to change his trade value.

Only option they have is to keep Noel and trade J.Okafor + J.Embiid instead. That would be my choice if I were them. I think Noel is the best player of the trio (after Embiid's injuries). But I do not believe Philly will do that.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Nor would his trade value improve much beyond where it is now if they did give the max and tried to trade him afterwards.

All of that is speculation at this point.  They might find that Noel and Okafor flourish together in year 2.  They might find that Noel and Embiid are formidable together defensively.  They might find that Noel is valuable off the bench backing up Okafor and Embiid.   Too early to make a real definitive statement one way or the other... but even retaining him Summer 2017 and then shopping him at the deadline in Feb 2018 is definitely going to net more than they'd get by letting him walk, and I'd assume a lot more more than they'd get by giving him away for a #16 pick just for the sake of trading him.

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

All of that is speculation at this point.  They might find that Noel and Okafor flourish together in year 2.  They might find that Noel and Embiid are formidable together defensively.  They might find that Noel is valuable off the bench backing up Okafor and Embiid.   Too early to make a real definitive statement one way or the other... but even retaining him Summer 2017 and then shopping him at the deadline in Feb 2018 is definitely going to net more than they'd get by letting him walk, and I'd assume a lot more more than they'd get by giving him away for a #16 pick just for the sake of trading him.
I disagree with this. Its entirely possible they are forced to overpay him in order to keep him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It would probably take Embiid proving himself both healthy and good.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2016, 06:31:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I disagree with this. Its entirely possible they are forced to overpay him in order to keep him.
Only if someone else is willing to overpay him... which would prove there is a market for him.  No point to letting him walk.  Worst-case, they match an offer and trade him at the deadline like what happened with Tobias Harris last year.   That's a problem for trade deadline 2018.  Not really something they need to worry too much about in Summer 2016.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2016, 06:45:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Only if someone else is willing to overpay him... which would prove there is a market for him.  No point to letting him walk.  Worst-case, they match an offer and trade him at the deadline like what happened with Tobias Harris last year.   That's a problem for trade deadline 2018.  Not really something they need to worry too much about in Summer 2016.
Its a little different with Harris because he was signed in a rising cap with a max salary that made him basically impossible to overpay. Also, Orlando didnt get Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. for Tobias Harris. Furthermore, Detroit had two supertalented young bigs in Monroe and Drummond. Monroe decided he did not want to be tied into a roster jam where he would be forced to play outside his best position, so he signed the QO and left as a UFA. Lots of parallels there.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 02:31:30 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

This sounds about right

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 02:32:41 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Its a little different with Harris because he was signed in a rising cap with a max salary that made him basically impossible to overpay. Also, Orlando didnt get **** for Tobias Harris. Furthermore, Detroit had two supertalented young bigs in Monroe and Drummond. Monroe decided he did not want to be tied into a roster jam where he would be forced to play outside his best position, so he signed the QO and left as a UFA. Lots of parallels there.
but that isn't the ideal outcome for philly so a guy with hinkie as his profile pic doesn't want to discuss the possibility

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2016, 02:45:51 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Marcus Smart and a 1st probably gets it done

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 04:02:34 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Marcus Smart and a 1st probably gets it done

I've decided that from now on I'm only going to respond to your posts in memes or gifs. That's the only way I can properly demonstrate my angst when you say these types of things.