Poll

What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?

2018 Brooklyn Pick
4 (7.1%)
2018 Brooklyn Pick + Terry Rozier
3 (5.4%)
Marcus Smart (straight up)
13 (23.2%)
2017 Brooklyn Pick Swap
5 (8.9%)
No thanks, I don't want him.
31 (55.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?  (Read 15233 times)

Re: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 02:47:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
What would it take to stop these threads about Noel, who clearly is never going to be anything more than a shot blocking defensive center with no room for growth on the offensive end?

J/K btw lol.  ;)

We are in for these until one (if not both) of Okafor and Noel are traded or they decide to not match an offer on Noel next offseason.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 05:20:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's going to cost money next year (unrestricted free agent) which is why there was rumors he could be had for the 3rd pick (kris dunn).  Colangelo since came out and seemed to suggest all the rumors were false, but the contract situation definitely impacts his value.  I'd guess he can be had for less than okafor.

it was actually the 3rd pick, two late first rounders (21 and 24?) and covington (an ok bench player).

Colangelo denying he would have traded one year of Rookie contract Noel for the 3rd pick either shows he is a moron or a liar. Perhaps he is both.

RIght, so basically Nerlens for #3.  Which wouldn't have been a bad deal for Philly considering the money they need to pay Nerlens next Summer.  Their price for Okafor should be higher.

At this point, I figure a deal around someone like Bradley and picks might intrigue them, but they are probably just better off waiting to see how this team plays together.  Also, I don't think it makes much logical sense for Boston to go after Nerlens at this point if they want to maintain cap flexibility next year.

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He's going to cost money next year (unrestricted free agent) which is why there was rumors he could be had for the 3rd pick (kris dunn).  Colangelo since came out and seemed to suggest all the rumors were false, but the contract situation definitely impacts his value.  I'd guess he can be had for less than okafor.

it was actually the 3rd pick, two late first rounders (21 and 24?) and covington (an ok bench player).

Colangelo denying he would have traded one year of Rookie contract Noel for the 3rd pick either shows he is a moron or a liar. Perhaps he is both.

RIght, so basically Nerlens for #3.  Which wouldn't have been a bad deal for Philly considering the money they need to pay Nerlens next Summer.  Their price for Okafor should be higher.

At this point, I figure a deal around someone like Bradley and picks might intrigue them, but they are probably just better off waiting to see how this team plays together.  Also, I don't think it makes much logical sense for Boston to go after Nerlens at this point if they want to maintain cap flexibility next year.
Saying "could be had" is a bit misleading because he also "could be had" for Steph Curry.

At this point I wouldn't give much for an expiring Noel. Also he will be restricted won't he?

I'd rather trade for Okafor. I don't want to have 20+mil tied up with Noel unless we have our superstar in hand... Which we don't atm.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

So pretending later first round picks are worthless now? Got it.

Side note: Pretty hilarious we constantly heard about Philly having 4 first round picks as assets, but when they were prepared to be traded to the celtics they were worthless. I mean.. lulz

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 07:20:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

but it's not, couldn't even get a top 6 for him. Sux..

From your favorite site

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/6/16/11957196/nba-trade-rumors-jahlil-okafor-top-five-pick-nerlens-noel

The comedy of this is pure gold with you. You use Chad Ford's tiers to make arguments about player values but then when he discusses the value of a player you like "Okafor" you dismiss it. It is like you are making a parody of yourself.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
We need to stay far away from Noel and Okafor.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Either Noel or Okafor makes us the probable favorite to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals against Cleveland. I prefer Noel because of his rebounding and defense but Okafor is already an accomplished interior scorer and makes more sense capwise for us. Noel will probably get $20 million+/year starting with the 2017-2018 season. Okafor will only get $5 million. With Okafor we could still be in the market for a max guy like Hayward or Westbrook by trade since right now we have only $55 million in guaranteed contracts against a projected $102 million cap.

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Side note: Pretty hilarious we constantly heard about Philly having 4 first round picks as assets, but when they were prepared to be traded to the celtics they were worthless. I mean.. lulz

In fairness those two 2016 firsts were pretty much worthless TO US, unless we could've rapidly flipped them.  We had too many picks as it was, two guaranteed contracts to bottom-10 first rounders would probably be a net negative at that moment.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

In fairness those two 2016 firsts were pretty much worthless TO US, unless we could've rapidly flipped them.  We had too many picks as it was, two guaranteed contracts to bottom-10 first rounders would probably be a net negative at that moment.

I agree they have a little less value to us because of our roster situation, but in general the value of picks in the early and mid 20's has only increased because you have a potential role or bench player you are paying peanuts for 4 years while the exploding cap pays a veteran bench player 6-8 million a year. It is also just a classic inconsistency that is worth pointing out. When people were discussing the 76ers assets ad nauseum on this forum the last 1-2 years their late first round picks were always written out as assets (including by Larbrd). When they are offered to us having them dismissed as worthless is kind of garbage.

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Rozier , young , Hunter , and non Nets picks.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

That's on you.  Can't change your rules because it doesn't fit your agenda.   There's been a full year of spew from folks like you saying how worthless Philly's late picks were.   So fine... they were worthless.  Especially to us, considering we had to use both of our late 1sts on draft-and-stash, had to trade our two borderline 1st rounders for a future pick, and will likely end up waiving the guys we took in the 2nd round. 

So the rumor was they were willing to trade Noel (restricted free agent at the end of the year who might count as 20 mil per year on their cap) for Kris Dunn.   Philly came out and said all the rumors were just coming from other teams trying to push their own story.   But let's assume the offer actually happened.  That gives you a sense of what they want for Noel.   Okafor will probably cost more than that.  BUt I don't really expect them to trade Okafor unless they get a serious player/asset in return, so it's a moot point. 

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

That's on you.  Can't change your rules because it doesn't fit your agenda.   There's been a full year of spew from folks like you saying how worthless Philly's late picks were.   So fine... they were worthless.  Especially to us, considering we had to use both of our late 1sts on draft-and-stash, had to trade our two borderline 1st rounders for a future pick, and will likely end up waiving the guys we took in the 2nd round. 

So the rumor was they were willing to trade Noel (restricted free agent at the end of the year who might count as 20 mil per year on their cap) for Kris Dunn.   Philly came out and said all the rumors were just coming from other teams trying to push their own story.   But let's assume the offer actually happened.  That gives you a sense of what they want for Noel.   Okafor will probably cost more than that.  BUt I don't really expect them to trade Okafor unless they get a serious player/asset in return, so it's a moot point.
You cant change the rules to fit your agenda either. Why are we all of a sudden believing a rumor that was shot down by both sides? What about the earlier rumor that Noel and change was going to be moved for Jeff Teauge? Teague was flipped for the #12 pick.

So is #3 or #12 a good barometer for Noel? or are you going to take one rumor and 1 quote and say everything else is just unreliable and draftnight BS? That sounds like changing the rules to fit your agenda.

It seems pretty clear that Philly really doesnt want to move Okafor or Noel for peanuts. It also seems pretty clear that the rest of the NBA isnt real interested in giving up a whole lot more than peanuts for Okafor or Noel.

I get it from Philly's perspective. I get it from Boston's. so, what would it take to land Nerlens Noel?

more than is worth it.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

You cant change the rules to fit your agenda either. Why are we all of a sudden believing a rumor that was shot down by both sides?
You're right.  The rumor was probably nonsense. Most of the rumors we hear regarding Philly are probably nonsense.   It will be fun to see how they play together this year.  Sounds like there's some optimism about how Simmons and Okafor will play together.  Embiid will probably be on a minutes restriction.  Noel will continue being a big help defensively.  Lots of young talent on that team. 

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

You cant change the rules to fit your agenda either. Why are we all of a sudden believing a rumor that was shot down by both sides?
You're right.  The rumor was probably nonsense. Most of the rumors we hear regarding Philly are probably nonsense.   It will be fun to see how they play together this year.  Sounds like there's some optimism about how Simmons and Okafor will play together.  Embiid will probably be on a minutes restriction.  Noel will continue being a big help defensively.  Lots of young talent on that team.
Keeping all the bigs into the season is a bit of a risk, as I do think it will be really hard to keep everyone happy and playing well. I do agree with your key premise. Why trade Okafor or Noel for garbage? If they are only worth garbage now than the risk is way greater than reward of trading them now.

I hope it fails in Philly. I think theres a good chance it could. So much talent though. Team could be scary if things they can manage it correctly. 

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Keeping all the bigs into the season is a bit of a risk, as I do think it will be really hard to keep everyone happy and playing well. I do agree with your key premise. Why trade Okafor or Noel for garbage? If they are only worth garbage now than the risk is way greater than reward of trading them now.

I hope it fails in Philly. I think theres a good chance it could. So much talent though. Team could be scary if things they can manage it correctly.
I hope it fails for Philly as well.   Though, I don't think the log jam is as big an issue as people are making it out to be.   Maybe they are built old-school, but whatever.  Bird was basically a 6'9 point-forward with two 7 footers by his side (with another 7 footer off the bench).   

I was just reading a pretty nice article in in thesixerssense.com that talked about how all of these pieces could fit together.  For one thing, they seem to think Gerald Henderson might flourish in his role (with Sergio Rodriguez getting solid minutes off the bench).   They expect Ben Simmons to get something like 34mpg as the point forward.   They expect Saric to come off the bench giving like 21mpg.   They expect Embiid to get around 24mpg due to his minutes restriction.   So there will still be plenty of minutes for Okafor and Noel.   SImmons passing mixed with Okafor's interior offensive game/cutting could work out well for them.   If we were in charge of Philly, we'd probably wait to see how these guys fit together before making any moves.   Perceived trade value can only go up if Philly starts looking like a competent basketball team.