Poll

What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?

2018 Brooklyn Pick
4 (7.1%)
2018 Brooklyn Pick + Terry Rozier
3 (5.4%)
Marcus Smart (straight up)
13 (23.2%)
2017 Brooklyn Pick Swap
5 (8.9%)
No thanks, I don't want him.
31 (55.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?  (Read 15247 times)

What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
We all agree Philly has to drop one of its big men. Debatable who this will be and who would provide more value.

Focusing on Noel given his ability to impact our defense, what are you willing to forfeit if he is the return? Keeping in mind he is a 1 year rental setting up to get paid well in pending free agency.

Re: What would it take to land Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No. Why would the Celts want a guy that cant shoot , trashes a house and threatens the landlord?

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:18:24 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Well the options listed are all overpays from our perspective. We are a team that wants to preserve cap space next summer to chase a top tier free agent, adding Noel greatly hinders that.

From the Philly side, there is no particular reason to sell low on him, they can match next summer with little downside. The only reason they would trade him now is if they got a no brainer deal or they thought he would take the QO and leave the year after.

For us though his value is Rozier + Young level and that's not going to get a deal done

Edit: Including anything close to a Brooklyn pick for Noel is madness. Maybe is he had multiple years on his rookie scale left but even then I doubt he's worth a top-5 draft pick

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
You'd have to have a significant illness, from the ears up, to trade BKN 17 for Noel.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rozier, Clippers & Grizz 1st

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:54:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

That's about what I'd give up.  Actually, two 1sts plus Rozier is a little bit steep, considering that trading for Noel would basically kill the team's chances of signing a max FA next summer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
How would trading for Noel screw up our ability to sign a max free agent again??

We have UFA's in Amir Johnson ($12m), Jonas Jerebko ($5m) and Gerald Green ($1m) totaling $18m in cap space.

Add this to a rising salary cap of anywhere from $102m - $107m and we should have plenty of room for a max.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

That's about what I'd give up.  Actually, two 1sts plus Rozier is a little bit steep, considering that trading for Noel would basically kill the team's chances of signing a max FA next summer.
I'm not totally sure about not being able to get a max player. JJ, Zeller, AJ, and Green are probably all FAs. You would have to decide on the young guys though as in Young and Hunter due to cap holds/ rfa QO for KO and Noel. I believe it is roughly 4.5 million for KO and 5.5 for Noel as QOs. Normal cap holds would be 6 million and 10 million but not sure which would apply in this case. Still total salary is still enough to cover both guys cap holds and sign a max guys as the roster is

IT(6.2), Al(27.7), AB(8.8 ), MS(4.5), JB(4.9), DJ(1.4), Ben(.9), JM(1.3), JC(6.8 )=62.5 million.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
the poll is restoring my faith in CB.  80% don't want him.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yup, Rozier and either Clips OR Grizz 1st is my price.  Given 'em Young too if they want.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
You'd have to have a significant illness, from the ears up, to trade BKN 17 for Noel.

Yea.. you can't give up what even the most pessimistic person projects as a top 5 pick with rookie control for 1 year of Noel on a rookie salary and the chance to pay him max or near max. Why is that even an option?

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's going to cost money next year (unrestricted free agent) which is why there was rumors he could be had for the 3rd pick (kris dunn).  Colangelo since came out and seemed to suggest all the rumors were false, but the contract situation definitely impacts his value.  I'd guess he can be had for less than okafor. 

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 01:51:25 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Philly really does like him, then they have no reason to deal him since they seem to have unlimited cap space in the near future. They will finally be able to spend some of it on a young player they actually want.

It is also my understanding that even KO's QO would (barely) put us over the top for a 7-9 yr max contract player even after renouncing all of our other free agents; I have to imagine Noel will certainly make it near impossible. Also, I like Noel, but he is going to get paid $20M+/yr. With Bradley, Smart, and IT on the horizon for 2018, we would have a lot of non-max type players being paid an awful lot of money. I am not particularly concerned with our cap space or paying the luxury tax, but we better be sure that Noel is going to be great because he will be expensive.

One last thing, the options are far too rich for me.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
He's going to cost money next year (unrestricted free agent) which is why there was rumors he could be had for the 3rd pick (kris dunn).  Colangelo since came out and seemed to suggest all the rumors were false, but the contract situation definitely impacts his value.  I'd guess he can be had for less than okafor.

it was actually the 3rd pick, two late first rounders (21 and 24?) and covington (an ok bench player).

Colangelo denying he would have traded one year of Rookie contract Noel for the 3rd pick either shows he is a moron or a liar. Perhaps he is both.

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
What would it take to stop these threads about Noel, who clearly is never going to be anything more than a shot blocking defensive center with no room for growth on the offensive end?

J/K btw lol.  ;)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different