Author Topic: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***  (Read 35330 times)

Re: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Love the headline of this article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saric-justifies-hype-with-game-winning-swat-in-croatias-upset-of-spain-004719433.html?nhp=1

So there you have it, with that last second block the hype is justified.  ;D

I think many people on this forum aren't that familiar with Dario Šarić's game.
His stats don't jump out of the boxscore and he isn't very athletic.
But his willpower, leadership and mentality are extraorinaire.
It is hard to see those in the boxscore, but those usualy win in the longterm.
He is one of those guys that are champions, winners.
There is one similar player on our team in that regard that has some historicaly bad stats, but we still adore him and we swear that he is a stud.
Fans will love Šarić for his commitment and sincereness, even if he avarages 5 points and 3 rebounds in his rookie year.
As a Croatian I know a bit more about his national squad. Fact is that we don't have any penetrating guards that can keep a defense on its heels. We don't have that kind of player for 15 years (since Damir Mulaoverović, excellent Euroleague player back in a day)
With that said it is hard for a player like Šarić to generate some easy baskets, since he is not an ISO threat like Bojan Bogdanović. Šarić is a rhythm shooter.
But he will often make the right pass, box out, hustle on D and if his team is unselfish as a whole he will flourish.
I don't know if he will be a starter or a role player in the NBA, but I am sure he will impact winning in a positive way.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2016, 01:36:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Love the headline of this article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saric-justifies-hype-with-game-winning-swat-in-croatias-upset-of-spain-004719433.html?nhp=1

So there you have it, with that last second block the hype is justified.  ;D

I think many people on this forum aren't that familiar with Dario Šarić's game.
His stats don't jump out of the boxscore and he isn't very athletic.
But his willpower, leadership and mentality are extraorinaire.
It is hard to see those in the boxscore, but those usualy win in the longterm.
He is one of those guys that are champions, winners.
There is one similar player on our team in that regard that has some historicaly bad stats, but we still adore him and we swear that he is a stud.
Fans will love Šarić for his commitment and sincereness, even if he avarages 5 points and 3 rebounds in his rookie year.
As a Croatian I know a bit more about his national squad. Fact is that we don't have any penetrating guards that can keep a defense on its heels. We don't have that kind of player for 15 years (since Damir Mulaoverović, excellent Euroleague player back in a day)
With that said it is hard for a player like Šarić to generate some easy baskets, since he is not an ISO threat like Bojan Bogdanović. Šarić is a rhythm shooter.
But he will often make the right pass, box out, hustle on D and if his team is unselfish as a whole he will flourish.
I don't know if he will be a starter or a role player in the NBA, but I am sure he will impact winning in a positive way.

He does play the game the right way. However, his athleticism and shooting our question marks at the next level.

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Really good game going on between Australia and Serbia.

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Before the Olympics began I would've been happy to split the games against France and Serbia 1-1. To win them both by 21 and 15 points respectively is amazing. Delly with 23 points, 13 assists and 0 turnovers against Serbia.

Coming out of the game against the USA with no injuries will be very important, hopefully keep the margin respectable. I'm staying with my prediction we'll keep the margin under 30 - USA to win by 29.  ;)
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Before the Olympics began I would've been happy to split the games against France and Serbia 1-1. To win them both by 21 and 15 points respectively is amazing. Delly with 23 points, 13 assists and 0 turnovers against Serbia.

Coming out of the game against the USA with no injuries will be very important, hopefully keep the margin respectable. I'm staying with my prediction we'll keep the margin under 30 - USA to win by 29.  ;)
Congrats to Aussies on 2 big wins and great play.
France and Serbia are int. powerhouses.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
US and Venezuela close 1st quarter game...and then Carmelo Anthony happened in the 2nd.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21

it was a close game against Serbia, Best of luck in the the Knockout rounds...

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's definitely not fair to judge the quality of a win against any opponent that would allow Delly to go for 23 and 13. Come on, now!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2016, 12:50:05 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
US and Venezuela close 1st quarter game...and then Carmelo Anthony happened in the 2nd.

So weird. Is Melo even a Top 20 guy still?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:28 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

No, but are you, billy? Tired of your frieken tricks. If it's not shenanigans, it's tomfooleries with you.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2016, 08:25:18 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
Disappointed with the 2nd half but pleased with the fight our guys showed. Nothing better than watching the legend that is Patty Mills lead his country, on his birthday no less. He should be getting more of Tony Parker's minutes next season.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:31:36 PM by Adelaide Celt »
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Disappointed with the 2nd half but pleased with the fight our guys showed. Nothing better than watching the legend that is Patty Mills lead his country. He should be getting more of Tony Parker's minutes next season.

Remember that Australia uses him far different than SA does. Australia has been playing exclusively as a 2 and he's usually off the ball. He's their Iverson. Pop will never let him have the freedom he plays with in FIBA.

Anyways, great job by your team! I told they were for real despite some of the naysayers on the blog. It looks like they're a lock to go 4-1 and finish as the second seed, which means they would take on the 3rd seed from the other group in the knockout round. 

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2016, 08:53:27 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
Disappointed with the 2nd half but pleased with the fight our guys showed. Nothing better than watching the legend that is Patty Mills lead his country. He should be getting more of Tony Parker's minutes next season.

Remember that Australia uses him far different than SA does. Australia has been playing exclusively as a 2 and he's usually off the ball. He's their Iverson. Pop will never let him have the freedom he plays with in FIBA.

Anyways, great job by your team! I told they were for real despite some of the naysayers on the blog. It looks like they're a lock to go 4-1 and finish as the second seed, which means they would take on the 3rd seed from the other group in the knockout round.

Yep, too true about Pop. I just think Mills could be better in a slightly bigger role.

TP for the respect, much appreciated. The knock out rounds will be extremely tough. Spain obviously very good, Lithuania are always strong. Add to that host nation Brazil, Argentina and Croatia... A medal is still going to be an extremely tall order but this team is probably playing at the highest level the national side ever has.

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Can't believe USA almost lost to Australia. Gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

Melo's 27 of his 31 points came from the 3. Kyrie with 19. Golden State players sure made a difference tonight...combined for 27 points lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

He was incredible in that game. That's what counts. Melos never been on really good teams. Imagine if he'd been in MIA w wade and Bosh. It'd be a very different perception of him.
Celtics fan for life.