Author Topic: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***  (Read 35329 times)

Re: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Sabonis struggling early against more mature players. Taken out after 3 minutes.

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Brazil was down 30, now down 11 and storming back.  Plus you will recognize the play by play man.  Turn it on now (NBC Sports).
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 06:03:42 PM »

Offline go11celtics

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Mike needs Tommy next to him for these games! Although I don't know how Tommy could commentate without being biased...

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Spain looking good as usual. Saric looks blah.

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Saric is garbage. 

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Spain has a top-5 that can give the US fits.

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Saric is garbage.

Fran Fraschilla, who is ESPN's international expert, just had an interesting comment on Saric.

Paraphrasing...

He's an energy guy. A role player. He's not a savior. He's a second unit, small ball 4 man.

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Saric is garbage.

Fran Fraschilla, who is ESPN's international expert, just had an interesting comment on Saric.

Paraphrasing...

He's an energy guy. A role player. He's not a savior. He's a second unit, small ball 4 man.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Fran Fraschilla, who is ESPN's international expert

I see him more as hype generator than a true expert.

Olympic basketball is junk,  USA will win and the only fight is for silver and bronze.  That is boring and I am a USA citizen.

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Love the headline of this article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saric-justifies-hype-with-game-winning-swat-in-croatias-upset-of-spain-004719433.html?nhp=1

So there you have it, with that last second block the hype is justified.  ;D
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Olympic basketball is junk,  USA will win and the only fight is for silver and bronze.  That is boring and I am a USA citizen.
Awesome job generating hype for Saric!

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2016, 10:15:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Then why bother clicking on a thread that's titled, "***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***"? I find that odd and I too am a USA citizen.

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2016, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Awesome did not see a win like that coming. First opening game victory since 1996!

Domination. Their off the ball screens and passing were textbook. They were operating on all cylinders. Eager to see them play USA.

Yeah, me too. What do you think the spread will be? -43 USA?

If so, I'll put $ on them not covering.

57 point win over China tonight. Australia is obviously better but I'm not sure they're even expected to contend for a medal. I'd imagine a pretty ugly outcome.

Australia are definitely contending now. That France team had Parker, Batum, Diaw, Lauvergne, Gobert which is a reasonable NBA-team starting roster.

France was likely overrated before the Olympics began. Parker and Diaw (esp) have really aged, leaving Batum as their best player. They should've selected Fournier. Both he and Gobert missed qualifying games, yet the coach was quoted saying he left off Fournier due to a commitment to the other 7 guys in the backcourt. Odd decision.

Not sure how Australia could be contending.  Spain is strong, Argentina is solid by default -- they've been playing together for the past 50 years -- and Lithuania is big. Seems doubtful that Bogut, Gobert, Delly, Baynes, and Mills could carry Aussies to medal (no offense to our members in Australia). Maybe I'm biased though because I find Delly to be incredibly annoying. They have some talent. Every team looks silly next to the US, though.

Don't forget Australia also has Ingles and Andersen (who is very good in FIBA). They're a very strong team. They simply out executed France on both ends. If that game was any indication, then a medal looks like a very good possibility and a team that USA can't take lightly.

I still don't think that ever elusive Bronze medal (not even considering getting to the Gold/Silver playoff) is quite within Australia's reach this year.

I think for that to happen we really needed a 100% perfect preparation. That means no Dante Exum tearing his ACL 12 months before the games. No Andrew Bogut injuring his knee 2 months before the games (though he's not showing any ill effects of that at this stage) and no Ben Simmons allowing his now blimp-like ego to get in the way of representing his country.

IMO Simmons won't play for Australia again until he has signed his first big contract and has that financial security behind him. Same sort of deal with Steven Adams and New Zealand. He often goes on about what a proud Kiwi he is yet has never represented the New Zealand national team, despite not being injured. I think once he's signed his first big contract he'll be prepared to take the risk of representing his country.

Big test against Serbia later tonight, who will undoubtedly be a stronger opponent than France. Some of the French defending was laughable. Can't see the Serbs being like that.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 09:22:02 AM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
Let s go Serbia. Bronze medal at least.  :D