Author Topic: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***  (Read 35335 times)

Re: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
U S A! U S A! U S A!

let's bring home the gold

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Yikes, Demarcus Cousins is injured. Should the C's still go after him now?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Yi has improved a lot. He looks like he could have some success as a stretch 4 in the NBA.

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 07:35:22 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Zhou Qi is a beast

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:29 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Like how they used the classic nbc roundball rock theme to open the game earlier. Brings back memories!

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
Yi has improved a lot. He looks like he could have some success as a stretch 4 in the NBA.

did he improve or does China just suck so much he stands out since he is one of the oldest and most experience player on their roster ?

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

did he improve or does China just suck so much he stands out since he is one of the oldest and most experience player on their roster ?

He looks improved. Seems much more confident and stronger. He was able to absorb contact a lot better than before.

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

He looks improved. Seems much more confident and stronger. He was able to absorb contact a lot better than before.

hmm fair enough, how long has he been gone from the NBA, his last stint was with the Mavs right? 3-4 years ago? I'm still a bit skeptical on Chinese players

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Awesome did not see a win like that coming. First opening game victory since 1996!

Domination. Their off the ball screens and passing were textbook. They were operating on all cylinders. Eager to see them play USA.

Yeah, me too. What do you think the spread will be? -43 USA?

If so, I'll put $ on them not covering.

57 point win over China tonight. Australia is obviously better but I'm not sure they're even expected to contend for a medal. I'd imagine a pretty ugly outcome.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 11:35:25 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Awesome did not see a win like that coming. First opening game victory since 1996!

Domination. Their off the ball screens and passing were textbook. They were operating on all cylinders. Eager to see them play USA.

57 point win over China tonight. Australia is obviously better but I'm not sure they're even expected to contend for a medal. I'd imagine a pretty ugly outcome.

Australia are definitely contending now. That France team had Parker, Batum, Diaw, Lauvergne, Gobert which is a reasonable NBA-team starting roster.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 11:55:21 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Australia are definitely contending now. That France team had Parker, Batum, Diaw, Lauvergne, Gobert which is a reasonable NBA-team starting roster.

France was likely overrated before the Olympics began. Parker and Diaw (esp) have really aged, leaving Batum as their best player. They should've selected Fournier. Both he and Gobert missed qualifying games, yet the coach was quoted saying he left off Fournier due to a commitment to the other 7 guys in the backcourt. Odd decision.

Not sure how Australia could be contending.  Spain is strong, Argentina is solid by default -- they've been playing together for the past 50 years -- and Lithuania is big. Seems doubtful that Bogut, Gobert, Delly, Baynes, and Mills could carry Aussies to medal (no offense to our members in Australia). Maybe I'm biased though because I find Delly to be incredibly annoying. They have some talent. Every team looks silly next to the US, though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:06:10 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 12:34:34 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

France was likely overrated before the Olympics began. Parker and Diaw (esp) have really aged, leaving Batum as their best player. They should've selected Fournier. Both he and Gobert missed qualifying games, yet the coach was quoted saying he left off Fournier due to a commitment to the other 7 guys in the backcourt. Odd decision.

Not sure how Australia could be contending.  Spain is strong, Argentina is solid by default -- they've been playing together for the past 50 years -- and Lithuania is big. Seems doubtful that Bogut, Gobert, Delly, Baynes, and Mills could carry Aussies to medal (no offense to our members in Australia). Maybe I'm biased though because I find Delly to be incredibly annoying. They have some talent. Every team looks silly next to the US, though.

Australia beat a full strength Argentina last week.

Don't think anyone is arguing it is USA  (lightyears) >  everyone else.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 01:11:41 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Australia beat a full strength Argentina last week.

Don't think anyone is arguing it is USA  (lightyears) >  everyone else.

Yeah, they are definitely good. And there are other good teams. It'll be fun to see what happens.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post -- I assumed "contender" implied Gold.

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 09:33:57 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Don't forget Australia also has Ingles and Andersen (who is very good in FIBA). They're a very strong team. They simply out executed France on both ends. If that game was any indication, then a medal looks like a very good possibility and a team that USA can't take lightly.

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Taurasi's going to try her hardest to prove she's better than Elena, Moore, and Griner.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale