Author Topic: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***  (Read 35351 times)

Re: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2016, 05:11:20 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Where did all the "US is prime to be beat" folks run off to? I guess it really was a matter of effort and motivation, in the end.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That Kevin Durant guy is pretty good.

What team is he on again?  If he has some help he could take a team all the way, I bet.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Where did all the "US is prime to be beat" folks run off to? I guess it really was a matter of effort and motivation, in the end.

who posted US is prime to be beat? Nobody can beat the US in basketball if they put in half the effort necessary to win - Nobody !!!!

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

who posted US is prime to be beat? Nobody can beat the US in basketball if they put in half the effort necessary to win - Nobody !!!!

I believe in this statement as well. I remember watching the documentary on the dream team and how they said the Dream Team had too much ego so Chuck Daly messed up the lineup on purpose so they can lose to college players on purpose. All these players has some sort of egos and want to showoff to the world any one of them are superstars, hence the one on ones. What matters most is that they all came together when it mattered most, turned up the defense and shared the ball at the end to get us the gold

« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2016, 07:34:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

who posted US is prime to be beat?

I might've posted that. Even if I didn't, I sure thought it. They looked pretty shaky in earlier games, but of course it is great that they pulled it all together in the end and won the gold.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I believe in this statement as well. I remember watching the documentary on the dream team and how they said the Dream Team had too much ego so Chuck Daly messed up the lineup on purpose so they can lose to college players on purpose. All these players has some sort of egos and want to showoff to the world any one of them are superstars, hence the one on ones. What matters most is that they all came together when it mattered most, turned up the defense and shared the ball at the end to get us the gold

Agreed, I'm glad they locked in and finished the job with grace. For as much as they may have lacked motivation individually, I did believe it meant a lot to the team collectively, and especially Coach K, who I had confidence would ensure we brought home Gold.

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2016, 08:25:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

That's weird. Didn't they just beat Spain by just 6 pts? I give them credit because they absolutely steamrolled Serbia, but to say they weren't putting in effort simply because games were close is a copout. It's like the international losses of the past, including 3 losses and a Bronze medal finish in 2004, didn't happen. The fact is that foreign teams are closing ground every year and their style of play, as well as talent, makes it less of a certainty that USA winning yearly is simply a foregone conclusion.

« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

That's weird. Didn't they just beat Spain by just 6 pts? I give them credit because they absolutely steamrolled Serbia, but to say they weren't putting in effort simply because games were close is a copout. It's like the international losses of the past, including 3 losses and a Bronze medal finish in 2004, didn't happen. The fact is that foreign teams are closing ground every year and their style of play, as well as talent, makes it less of a certainty that USA winning yearly is simply a foregone conclusion.

I don't think we're going to get anywhere on this. Not trying to incite you (or others), though. So agree to disagree. That was my subjective impression, and while I did think there was a slight chance they could drop a game prior to elimination round, I expected the "shellacking" (in another thread I think) that we saw in the Gold medal game. They finally locked in on defense and the rest took care of itself.

I agree that international teams will be better in future years. Lots of young international talent coming to the US now. But they're still too young, reflected by lack of minutes and subpar performances from many of these guys (e.g., Hezonja) than to be expected in the future. Spain, Argentina, etc. have just aged, that's all. It was cool to out what was essentially the same Argentinian team of 2004, too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:50:55 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

It's weird that you say foreign teams are closing ground every year, but talk about a bronze medal finish 12 years ago.