Author Topic: Jonathan Issac Thread (Merged)  (Read 50560 times)

Re: Jonathan Isaac at Power Forward
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Vs unc 17 pts, 12 reb. More and more reminds me of Ingram ..that extra gear to turn the corner and finish around the rim is not there right now...  Can shoot over smaller sfs or against slower pfs

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=6U-zDVEV_OM

Yeah, he looks to me like he has a frame that can add muscle. He has pretty natural instincts on defense and uses his length well. I love to see a skinny kid like that get on the boards too, because it means his mindset is not the thing holding him back.

He reminds me more of Paul George more than the other comparisons I hear. He has the handles and the shooting mechanics to be a 3 in the NBA. He knows how to use his length on defense and on the boards.

The main concern that I have is his driving ability, but with more muscle and the NBA rules, that probably improves. He is only getting 3 shots at the rim a game, but converting over 70% (for reference, George only converted 55% at the rim in his last season at Fresno State, after he had added more muscle).

Edit: When it comes down to it, Isaac has a lot of the same concerns George had, but you could argue he has been more effective against better competition than George was. He is more advanced of a shot creator, has a better stroke, and is better going to the rim than George was at the same stage. Isaac is not quite the leaper George was, but in many other ways they are comparable.

This is a big concern regarding Isaac for me...  He has the kind of frame that makes it real tough to add mass.  He has a thin waist and lower body

think about how many scrawny players ... add scrawny tall players are able to add good amount of mass by the time they get to the NBA

George is a decent comparison....but George is also a SF/SG

Is Isaac a SF/SG at the nba level?

To me he screams out PF on the defensive end but SF at the offensive end.  ... But without ability to add meaningful mass...will be kind of positionless at the defensive end at the next level

He has to put in alot of time at the gym

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Vs unc 17 pts, 12 reb. More and more reminds me of Ingram ..that extra gear to turn the corner and finish around the rim is not there right now...  Can shoot over smaller sfs or against slower pfs

Yeah, he looks to me like he has a frame that can add muscle. He has pretty natural instincts on defense and uses his length well. I love to see a skinny kid like that get on the boards too, because it means his mindset is not the thing holding him back.

He reminds me more of Paul George more than the other comparisons I hear. He has the handles and the shooting mechanics to be a 3 in the NBA. He knows how to use his length on defense and on the boards.

The main concern that I have is his driving ability, but with more muscle and the NBA rules, that probably improves. He is only getting 3 shots at the rim a game, but converting over 70% (for reference, George only converted 55% at the rim in his last season at Fresno State, after he had added more muscle).

Edit: When it comes down to it, Isaac has a lot of the same concerns George had, but you could argue he has been more effective against better competition than George was. He is more advanced of a shot creator, has a better stroke, and is better going to the rim than George was at the same stage. Isaac is not quite the leaper George was, but in many other ways they are comparable.
I've only seen a few of his games but the shots at the rim he got were from offensive rebounds and cuts to the basket.  As I recall, his few iso drive attempts were stopped after a couple dribbles. 

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

This is a big concern regarding Isaac for me...  He has the kind of frame that makes it real tough to add mass.  He has a thin waist and lower body

think about how many scrawny players ... add scrawny tall players are able to add good amount of mass by the time they get to the NBA

To me he screams out PF on the defensive end but SF at the offensive end.  ... But without ability to add meaningful mass...will be kind of positionless at the defensive end at the next level

I don't see George so much as an even skinnier Durant.  The memory is a little hazy, but Durant at least had a relatively wide frame.  But Durant is a great example of a guy who remains lean and is exceptionally successful at the NBA level.

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I've only seen a few of his games but the shots at the rim he got were from offensive rebounds and cuts to the basket.  As I recall, his few iso drive attempts were stopped after a couple dribbles.

He has 39 made shots at the rim this year. 15 were assisted. 17 were putbacks. 7 were unassisted. Still that's not bad.

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »

• Paul Silas

Time will tell. Does he have the work ethic?

George was a 3-4 when he first came into the league. His spotup shooting allowed him to play 2 on a team that bruising and relied on Granger and West to make plays more than the guards. I think Isaac could do that if asked.

Defensively, he has the athleticism is play on the perimeter or inside.

Durant did gain the weight, when many thought he couldn't. Many think Ingram will add weight as he ages. Even Henson has put on some weight. Ed Davis put on weight too. Anthony Davis, Giannis, and Wiggins too.

I don't know that putting on weight is as much of a concern as whether or not he will lose explosiveness when he does. That is somewhat concerning to me. but the great thing about Isaac is that, if he does lose some explosiveness and quickness, he has the size to move up to the 4.

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2017, 11:22:05 AM »

• Paul Silas

I don't see George so much as an even skinnier Durant.  The memory is a little hazy, but Durant at least had a relatively wide frame.  But Durant is a great example of a guy who remains lean and is exceptionally successful at the NBA level.

He looked pretty scrawny with that baggy undershirt. Those shorts look like they have nothing to hang on to to stay up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62rE2AjOPE

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Isaac and FSU host #12 Louisville today at 2pm on ESPN!!!  I am so infatuated with this kid.  I plan to tape the game and analyze and critique his game.  This kid WILL go in the top 5 and I predict the top 3 or 4!!!!

This will be FSU's and Issac's 6th straight game vs. a top 21 ranked team!!!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4065654/jonathan-isaac

I LOVE that he is TRULY playing a tough schedule in the BEST conference in America!!!  (And I don't give a crap about ESPN recently ranking the Big 12 at the top in BPI!!!  Just wait for the NCAA tourney ONCE AGAIN and watch the ACC dominate!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Time will tell. Does he have the work ethic?

George was a 3-4 when he first came into the league. His spotup shooting allowed him to play 2 on a team that bruising and relied on Granger and West to make plays more than the guards. I think Isaac could do that if asked.

Defensively, he has the athleticism is play on the perimeter or inside.

Durant did gain the weight, when many thought he couldn't. Many think Ingram will add weight as he ages. Even Henson has put on some weight. Ed Davis put on weight too. Anthony Davis, Giannis, and Wiggins too.

I don't know that putting on weight is as much of a concern as whether or not he will lose explosiveness when he does. That is somewhat concerning to me. but the great thing about Isaac is that, if he does lose some explosiveness and quickness, he has the size to move up to the 4.

This is a really good point.  The key for many of these kids is to gain strength without losing quickness. 

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »

• Paul Silas
Isaac with 16 and 10 rebounds (7-7 free throws) with two blocks and two assists. He had the last two defensive rebounds of the game to ice two separate possessions for his team. He also hit 2 free throws with less than one minute left to go up by 3.

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Isaac with 16 and 10 rebounds (7-7 free throws) with two blocks and two assists. He had the last two defensive rebounds of the game to ice two separate possessions for his team. He also hit 2 free throws with less than one minute left to go up by 3.

And don't forget the big rebound to ice it!!!  He is the first freshman at FSU since 1994-1995 to have 3 straight double doubles, AND he did it against three highly RANKED teams!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
This kid just seemingly has the intangibles!!!  You cannot teach what this kid seems to have.  Clearly incredible GIFTS and TALENT!!!

Please Danny, get me this kid!!!  He will be our multi-year All-Star!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Jonathan Isaac (FSU) vs Louisville // 1.21.17 // 16 Pts, 10 Reb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Kh_mmmqKE&t=8s

Nice game.  Ingram comparison good?

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I have Isaac ahead of Tatum now... already a better defensive player and 3 pt shooter

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
He came into FSU weighing 185 and is now up to 210!!!  That is a LOT of what appears to be GOOD weight to be gained in LESS than a year!!!!!

He chose FSU due to their tremendous weight training program!!!

I LOVE this kid!!!

Watch the game vs. Louisville and just watch how quickly he moves his feet with his perimeter D!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »

• Paul Silas
He came into FSU weighing 185 and is now up to 210!!!  That is a LOT of what appears to be GOOD weight to be gained in LESS than a year!!!!!

He chose FSU due to their tremendous weight training program!!!

I LOVE this kid!!!

Watch the game vs. Louisville and just watch how quickly he moves his feet with his perimeter D!!!

Smitty77

He is listed at 210, but I'm not convinced. Still, I have faith that he can gain weight.