Author Topic: Jonathan Issac Thread (Merged)  (Read 50565 times)

Re: Jonathan Isaac at Power Forward
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2017, 10:06:25 AM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I've been to or watched every FSU game this year.  His hands are as good as his feet.

He's successfully stripping ball handlers 15 feet away from the basket.  He's got great body control and for being lanky, has a knack for getting boards.

Two of his shots last night were 3s that came when we really needed them.

I hope he stays another year but I'm dreaming.

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:59 PM »

Offline Coast2Coast

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
High upside prospect but needs to add mass and alpha dog mentality

I want to see him score 30, 40 points a few times before this season is over

His slender frame will prevent him to play pf at the nba level imo. He is a sf at the nba and could be a good one

Agreed. SF in the NBA, think he should be able to add mass before the 17-18 season.  Has the skill and shooting to compensate for being underweight. I think he's just starting to find his swagger.

Depending on what happens over the next couple of months, he could could crack top 5/ maybe 3 and may be worth consideration for the Celts if they're not getting Fultz. We'll see.

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 11:17:15 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Does he have the strength to battle guys inside? You have lanky guys like Manute Bol, Camby  and KG that defends the paint effectively and then, there is Bosh and Durant who are decent, but gets abused by a legit big inside.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:22:31 PM by mr. dee »

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I've been to or watched every FSU game this year.  His hands are as good as his feet.

He's successfully stripping ball handlers 15 feet away from the basket.  He's got great body control and for being lanky, has a knack for getting boards.

I'm a big fan of his, but I havent watched him play in a full game yet, only highlights. What can you say is the reason he appears to not be the #1 option on his team, as it seems Bacon gets moor looks on that team. Is it the coach playing favorites in hopes Bacon stays one more year?

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I'm a big fan of his, but I havent watched him play in a full game yet, only highlights. What can you say is the reason he appears to not be the #1 option on his team, as it seems Bacon gets moor looks on that team. Is it the coach playing favorites in hopes Bacon stays one more year?
I don't think Isaac is a #1 option.  You're not going to run your offense through him.  I haven't seen much shot creation ability for himself or others.  I don't think he's as good or versatile as Brandon Ingram.  He looks like a good 3 and D player with good rebounding which would be quite useful for us. 

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2017, 01:29:44 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

I don't think Isaac is a #1 option.  You're not going to run your offense through him.  I haven't seen much shot creation ability for himself or others.  I don't think he's as good or versatile as Brandon Ingram.  He looks like a good 3 and D player with good rebounding which would be quite useful for us.

Sounds like mid-late 1st round than a lottery pick.

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2017, 01:53:34 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

interesting, I always seem to have the frame of mind that a player needs to dominate the college game to make it in the NBA, but that isnt always the case. I think Isaac might be a perfect fit for us at the 4.

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 02:10:48 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2017, 02:28:03 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

interesting, I always seem to have the frame of mind that a player needs to dominate the college game to make it in the NBA, but that isnt always the case. I think Isaac might be a perfect fit for us at the 4.
19 year old freshman definitely don't have to dominate in college to be a success in the NBA.  I like Isaac's potential.  Apparently he was 6'2" three years ago and had a big growth spurt.  He can add weight/strength.  He's had some very nice games lately.  He's productive without having to handle the ball a lot. 

Both Isaac and Markkanen seem like good fits for us at the 4.  Isaac is a 3/4 whereas Markkanen is a 4/5.  However with the strength of this draft both will probably be outside the top 5.  Of the two, I could see Isaac improving enough to break the top 5. 

Re: Jonathan Isaac
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I watched highlights from his last game, and was definitely impressed by his skill set, very nice quick release on the jumpshot which is tough to contest given his length.  He also had seven blocks, and looked good battling underneath.

The not good is: man is he skinny, not just give the kid a cheeseburger skinny, but really narrow shoulders and frame that make it hard to see him getting significantly stronger.

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
It's really hard to get a read on him. I'm leaning towards him not being good. Seems like a tease. Also, he's hidden on his team. The play him as a role player, so it's hard to capture his true potential. He could turn out to be a stud when he gets in the NBA. Definitely a swing for the fences type of pick.

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
I watched highlights from his last game, and was definitely impressed by his skill set, very nice quick release on the jumpshot which is tough to contest given his length.  He also had seven blocks, and looked good battling underneath.

The not good is: man is he skinny, not just give the kid a cheeseburger skinny, but really narrow shoulders and frame that make it hard to see him getting significantly stronger.
I read that he had a huge growth spurt in high school. I think he went from 6'2 to 6'10. Probably hasnt had time to grow into his body

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Vs unc 17 pts, 12 reb. More and more reminds me of Ingram ..that extra gear to turn the corner and finish around the rim is not there right now...  Can shoot over smaller sfs or against slower pfs

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=6U-zDVEV_OM

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2017, 09:41:46 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Great skillset, but his frame is so narrow that it makes it hard to imagine he can put on the strength needed in the NBA.  Does a pretty good job battling inside at the collegiate level though, so maybe he's stronger than he looks.

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Vs unc 17 pts, 12 reb. More and more reminds me of Ingram ..that extra gear to turn the corner and finish around the rim is not there right now...  Can shoot over smaller sfs or against slower pfs

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=6U-zDVEV_OM

Yeah, he looks to me like he has a frame that can add muscle. He has pretty natural instincts on defense and uses his length well. I love to see a skinny kid like that get on the boards too, because it means his mindset is not the thing holding him back.

He reminds me more of Paul George more than the other comparisons I hear. He has the handles and the shooting mechanics to be a 3 in the NBA. He knows how to use his length on defense and on the boards.

The main concern that I have is his driving ability, but with more muscle and the NBA rules, that probably improves. He is only getting 3 shots at the rim a game, but converting over 70% (for reference, George only converted 55% at the rim in his last season at Fresno State, after he had added more muscle).

Edit: When it comes down to it, Isaac has a lot of the same concerns George had, but you could argue he has been more effective against better competition than George was. He is more advanced of a shot creator, has a better stroke, and is better going to the rim than George was at the same stage. Isaac is not quite the leaper George was, but in many other ways they are comparable.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:58:52 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »