Author Topic: Jonathan Issac Thread (Merged)  (Read 50564 times)

Re: Jonathan Isaac at Power Forward
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2016, 02:19:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Anyone like they Idea of Isaac being a future stretch four for the Celtics.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=TASD93Mn9t8

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2016, 02:24:41 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think by seasons end he might be the 3rd best player in the draft

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Might want to merge this with this other thread that I remembered from early December and bumped a couple of days ago:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=88005.0

I said this in that thread:

I think that Isaac could go top 5, depending on how long it takes to fully recover from his hip flexor injury suffered a few weeks ago.

He came back and was invisible for two games, but I think that they rushed him back to get some PT before the Conference games start this week. He will be on at 5 today on ESPN2

Here's an excellent article on him:

https://theringer.com/jonathan-isaac-is-an-elite-nba-prospect-hiding-in-plain-sight-cef54ab82d4#.qnewqcitm

Lots of great gifs in the article, too. Highly recommend.

Isaac is a lot like Brandon Ingram, the no. 2 pick in last year’s draft. Neither player possesses the ideal frame to support a ton of extra weight, which means adding core strength will be extremely important for them to reach their potential in the NBA. Guys like Markelle Fultz, Dennis Smith Jr., and Miles Bridges have mature bodies that will allow them to physically compete at the next level right away. Isaac is still growing into his body, and, as such, will need more time to develop. Considering the impatience of most NBA franchises, that fact alone will make him one of the more polarizing prospects in this year’s draft. The good news is he already has 14 pounds on Ingram, who weighed only 196 pounds at the draft combine.

Unlike Ingram, who averaged nearly 35 minutes a game and got to dominate the ball on a Duke team with a short rotation last season, Isaac’s talents could be somewhat hidden on a deep Florida State team with a lot of other options on offense. If he doesn’t consistently put up big statistics, it will be hard for teams at the top of the lottery to take him over some of his more highly touted peers. DraftExpress has Isaac as the no. 7 pick in its mock draft, and he may end up being a steal if that’s the range he winds up being taken.

At the age of 19, he has shown the ability to defend multiple positions, shoot the ball, put it on the floor, create for himself and others, rebound, and protect the rim. His skill set would allow him to fit on almost any team in the lottery, and a player with his combination of size, shooting ability, and athleticism makes for a useful NBA player, even if he never develops any further. Isaac has a high floor, and an even higher ceiling. He’s a 6-foot-10 player who can do everything on the basketball court well, and there aren’t many players like that at any level of the game. Jonathan Isaac is not being talked about a lot right now, but that will change soon enough

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I liked the idea a lot last year at this time.  I actually liked him as a SF, in the Durant mold.   I have Sling TV and it comes with the ACC ESPN so I can actually watch his games.    Honestly I turned off his last game and watched a movie, ... boring.  He has talent but he's not as dynamic as his highlights.  With his size and skill level he should really be dominating his opponents more that he is.  maybe its like Turner in TX and the system is holding him back.  The offense is running thorough Bacon not Isaac. I wouldn't take him 5th.  Here's my top 10.
1. Ball
2. Fultz
3. Tatum
4. Jackson
5. Smith
6. Fox
7. Markkanen
8. Isaac
9. Monk
10. OG Anunoby

This is not a big man draft, but next year is.   

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I liked the idea a lot last year at this time.  I actually liked him as a SF, in the Durant mold.   I have Sling TV and it comes with the ACC ESPN so I can actually watch his games.    Honestly I turned off his last game and watched a movie, ... boring.  He has talent but he's not as dynamic as his highlights.  With his size and skill level he should really be dominating his opponents more that he is.  maybe its like Turner in TX and the system is holding him back.  The offense is running thorough Bacon not Isaac. I wouldn't take him 5th.  Here's my top 10.
1. Ball
2. Fultz
3. Tatum
4. Jackson
5. Smith
6. Fox
7. Markkanen
8. Isaac
9. Monk
10. OG Anunoby

You don't have Giles in your top 10?

Personally I think Giles will end up going in the top 3. He is going to get better and better as the season goes on. He had a pretty good game today with 4 points, 8 rebounds and an assist while only shooting 2/6 from the field in 13 minutes. He needs to work on playing defense without fouling and he will be a high level prospect.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
1. Ball
2. Fultz
3. Tatum
4. Jackson
5. Smith
6. Fox
7. Markkanen
8. Isaac
9. Monk
10. OG Anunoby

The one thing I LOVE about this year's draft, is that you can argue that any of the Top-10 can become legitimate stars in the NBA.

This is a DEEP draft. It's just up to Ainge and the C's to identify that guy over the summer/off season. I truthfully have Fultz over Ball at #1 but it's still a bit early to call who is #1 just yet.

Harry Giles I think with more playing time would be Top 10 as well I believe (maybe between #4-#7).

Like I wouldn't mind Tatum or Jackson at all. Worst case scenario, Isaac at #5? Not bad.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Isaac is a really intriguing pick.  Would need to bulk up for the NBA game but you can say that about most college freshman.

I think the C's first goal is to add a player to their current core, not draft another a rookie.  If they land a top pick in 2017 I would expect it to be moved as part of a package deal.  Isaac would not be a bad pickup though if they did keep their pick.  It will be interesting to see where he lands on draft boards come next June, as I see him as one of the climbers during the season.

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
1. Ball
2. Fultz
3. Tatum
4. Jackson
5. Smith
6. Fox
7. Markkanen
8. Isaac
9. Monk
10. OG Anunoby

You don't have Giles in your top 10?

Personally I think Giles will end up going in the top 3. He is going to get better and better as the season goes on. He had a pretty good game today with 4 points, 8 rebounds and an assist while only shooting 2/6 from the field in 13 minutes. He needs to work on playing defense without fouling and he will be a high level prospect.

His injury history scares me.  There are so many other players without that health risk.  He had two knee surgeries in HS and the NBA is so much more physical the HS.  I don't think he can handle it physically. History has shown too many great players amount to nothing because of injuries. 

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see Giles as this years Labissiere. He will have bad stats and fall down the draft boards. As for Issac, I think he still needs to show a whole lot more before he can break the top 5.

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I see Giles as this years Labissiere. He will have bad stats and fall down the draft boards. As for Issac, I think he still needs to show a whole lot more before he can break the top 5.

Giles fell due to injury, Labissiere fell due to poor performance. I don't understand how you could compare the two.

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This kid is heating up...23 pts last night.

Oh and SEVEN BLOCKS!   :o :o :o  That's cuckoo bananas!!

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Isaac did his thing in only 25 minutes of work. He also had 5 turnovers, which is very unusual for him and 10 boards. Seven block though!

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
High upside prospect but needs to add mass and alpha dog mentality

I want to see him score 30, 40 points a few times before this season is over

His slender frame will prevent him to play pf at the nba level imo. He is a sf at the nba and could be a good one

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I have been an Issac fan since watching him early in the season. He has the game and length to fit nicely as a face up 4. Like a lot of young lengthy players he needs to add strength. Where last draft Ingram really is a 6'9 long 3/4 I personally think while issac isn't as dynamic off the dribble he is more willing to mix it up in the paint and will be able to play a 4/3 role in the NBA.

As for the Draft I expect Fultz to be the first tier clear #1, Ball to go #2 and Tatum and Jackson to be in a 3rd tier that Issac, Monk and Ntilikina could push into.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:35 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I like the concept of what he could bring offensively at the position, however I really dont like the idea of adding a stretch player to this team. This team lacks balance and I think adding another guy who just stands at the 3pt line is not something Im interested in seeing. Im not saying that's his game, Im saying his skill level says that he will be pushed to do that.

Just feel that this team is 3pt dependent and I would like to see players added that can attack different spots on the floor. That's why I like that they are starting to use Brown and Smart 10 ft and in to give teams different looks.