Author Topic: What happens with Abdel Nader?  (Read 6845 times)

What happens with Abdel Nader?
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
First, let me say that after seeing ANader in SL, I'm a huge fan and think he's got a great future in the league.  Slasher, handles right and left, and real good on 3's!  Type of player you can't play off of, cause they'll bury the three, and can't play up in his face, cause he'll blow right by you.  Athletic and great vertical, and already has NBA body!  Many of us here have already seen this too, as I'm sure many other organizations.....but alas, apparently not the Celtics!  They've already guaranteed contracts to lesser players, and sent good picks who could help right now overseas, cause our roster is filled with mediocre players and even one who has shown almost nothing in two years!
So, my question is kind of in two parts.  Firstly, what are Nader's options at this point, from a legalese NBA contract/draft pick status angle.  If he remains unsigned can he just sign with another team?  Don't know the technical answers!
Secondly, why would he want to stick around, knowing that there are surely teams out there just as impressed with his summer league play that would love to sign him!  And, I'm sure some of these teams would give him much greater opportunities to play!
Seems like the C's want their cake and to eat it too, but if I'm Nader I say "screw this", and get my NBA career off and running right now!
Answers and thoughts appreciated!

Re: What happens with Abdel Nader?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You bring up a good point.  If he doesn't make the roster (likely) and doesn't go overseas, he could sign a D-league contract but even if he plays in Maine he would still be free to sign with another NBA team.

The money is far better overseas than the pittance he would earn on a D-league contract.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
he had a great summer league,i guess will all see how it translates-his defense was very good he moves his feet well and has that long wingspan-and we need shooters-
-ainge and brad watch everything
-i got attached to dwight powell-6-10 great motor ,athletic played defense -last year it was rj and his skills but he hasn't hit the three and his weight hurts him on defense
-right now nader is competing for rj's spot -but might just get stored in maine not a bad idea
young is gone

green is special with his speed ,vertical and shoots the three at 6-7
so i think nader will be  with the red claws-he surprised everybody, at least ainge drafted him

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
This article explains a lot.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-second-round-of-the-nba-draft-is-broken-but-not-beyond-repair

Because he apparently agreed to be stashed we will keep his draft rights if he plays in the D league.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If the Celtics don't want to sign Nader, his choices are limited. He basically has to decide between:
1. Playing in another pro league (DLeague, Europe, China, etc.), in which case his draft rights are still ours until 1 year after his pro contract in the other league expires
OR
2. Taking a year off from pro basketball, and reentering the 2017 draft. This would almost certainly be career suicide, given that being the 58th overall pick, already on the older side, and not playing for a year don't exactly project well

So, actually, the Celtics CAN have their cake and eat it too. It seems like Danny is putting more stock in the college career and measurable that made him the 58th pick than a few decent summer league games, and I don't blame him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
You bring up a good point.  If he doesn't make the roster (likely) and doesn't go overseas, he could sign a D-league contract but even if he plays in Maine he would still be free to sign with another NBA team.

The money is far better overseas than the pittance he would earn on a D-league contract.

This is not true. Unless he signs some sort of contract with us (camp contract, nonguaranteed, or guaranteed) or takes a year off and reenters the draft, we keep his rights, and no other NBA team can sign him (like Josh Huetus (sp) did for OKC a few years ago)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i don't think you say screw them-not to ainge, in any way shape or form
 that would be a very bad idea
-if this kid can produce right away in nba it will show but most college kids can't-all those lanes that opened up for nader will not be there and then he will have to close out against nba rim protectors-so he should come into camp and play his butt off,shoot the lights out -danny and brad will point this kid in the right direction

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This is not true. Unless he signs some sort of contract with us (camp contract, nonguaranteed, or guaranteed) or takes a year off and reenters the draft, we keep his rights, and no other NBA team can sign him (like Josh Huetus (sp) did for OKC a few years ago)
Right, I keep forgetting about the "Heustis rule" which is basically a D-league stash.  Can that apply to only one player or as many players as the C's want?

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2014/7/23/5927823/thunder-josh-huestis-nba-developmental-league-draft-and-stash

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wonder if it would have benefited him more by not being drafted at all than by a team with so many other picks and young players. At least he would have had an opportunity to cling onto a team with more potential roster spots.

Some team having your rights, but not playing you or relinquishing those rights isn't necessarily ideal. And, as Bitter said, he is only getting older from here.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Nadar comes to camp next year and competes with the Dancing bear (our 1st round stash) for JJ's vacated spot.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 11:58:49 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
he had a great summer league,i guess will all see how it translates-his defense was very good he moves his feet well and has that long wingspan-and we need shooters-
-ainge and brad watch everything
-i got attached to dwight powell-6-10 great motor ,athletic played defense -last year it was rj and his skills but he hasn't hit the three and his weight hurts him on defense
-right now nader is competing for rj's spot -but might just get stored in maine not a bad idea
young is gone

green is special with his speed ,vertical and shoots the three at 6-7
so i think nader will be  with the red claws-he surprised everybody, at least ainge drafted him

Powell had a decent year with Dallas and now seems to be a serviceable backup. I guess you called it right. I thought he'd never make it.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
So Nader can't even go to training camp, correct? Or can he go without any type of contract?  Seems like raw deal for what everyone I've heard describe as a "good kid"!  Guess DA has him by the BASKETballs!

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Right, I keep forgetting about the "Heustis rule" which is basically a D-league stash.  Can that apply to only one player or as many players as the C's want?

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2014/7/23/5927823/thunder-josh-huestis-nba-developmental-league-draft-and-stash

That's interesting.  They need to figure out the money (the gap between stashed and in the NBA is huge) but the idea could be good for both parties.  Players can get better in a pro system, against good competition, and get paid.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Get this guy into camp! 

He was the only guy on the summer league roster who consistently earned more minutes each game.  He was the Celtics third best player.

College basketball is great, but the NBA court is bigger and the players are longer and faster.  If Nader is outperforming all our other second round picks and bench scrubs in summer league then he at least deserves a chance to earn a contract in camp. 

To some degree I agree that summer league is not the best tool for analysis, but you can identify things in Summer league that are going to be NBA problems.  For example, if a guy is clearly slower than the pack (RJ Hunter) or looks lost and inept (James Young) playing minutes against this level of competition they're certainly not going to make the jump to the NBA and suddenly look capable.

Bentil proved himself literally unplayable in Summer League, he's a black-hole offensively who doesn't play defense.  He earned LESS minutes each game.  Demetrius Jackson showed exactly NONE of the explosiveness and athleticism that his supporters raved about in college, he actually looked quite average athletically which is great if you're 6'4-6'5 but not going to work if you're arguably under six feet tall.   

Nader showed a well rounded game with enough athleticism, shooting touch, and size to impact games and now we're going to try to "stash" him so we can roster a bunch of guys who won't be nba role players until they're 30? At least give him a chance to keep outperforming your binkies Danny.  SMH

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't care.

He's never going to play meaningful NBA minutes.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."