Author Topic: The Roster Thread  (Read 8427 times)

The Roster Thread
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:09:16 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
How about a discussion focused on who makes the roster?

Here's my take, using Stevens nomenclature:

Ball Handlers: IT, Rozier, Jackson
Wings: AB, Smart, Brown, Green, RJH,Young, Holland
Swings: Crowder, JJ, Nader, Bentil
Bigs: Horford, Amir, KO, Mickey, Zeller

Bolded are my picks for the final 15.  What you think?

Re: The Roster Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:13:37 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Mine is pretty much the same as yours
Except i had hunter over nader

I dont know if nader summer league is enough to beat hunter
Essentiallt we will be giving up on a 1st rounder after 1 year and bursts of potential in limited playing time

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:07:06 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
They'll have training camp and preseason to sort things out.  Tough decisions will have to be made, but that's a good place to be.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 02:26:24 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm hoping Brown can swing between the 2 & 3 this year.  If he can get hi shot down I really see him long term as a two.   I can see a Smart (pg); Brown (sg) back court (but not yet).  If they get their jump shots consistent that would be awesome.  As  the # 6 pick Smart needs to break into the starting lineup or we need to trade him. 

Since were just guessing at the roster how about if we make no trades, what could we look like to start the 2018 season if we score big with the Brooklyn picks?

PG:  Smart / Thomas
SG:  Brown / Bradley
SF:  Jonathan Isaac (2017 pick) / Crowder
PF:  Horford / Olynyk
C:   DeAndre Ayton (2018 pick) / Zizic

If we end up trading Smart we could start the 2018 season like this:

PG:  Markelle Fultz (2017 pick) / Thomas
SG:  Brown / Bradley
SF:  Kevin Knox (2018 pick)/ Crowder
PF:  Horford / Olynyk
C:   Oakfor / Zizic

Who knows maybe we'll trade Bradley and Crowder before the season and have this line up:

PG:  Thomas / Rozier
SG:  Smart / Green
SF:  Brown / Jerebko
PF:  Griffin /Mickey
C:   Horford / Olynyk

Anyway, whatever the roster looks like this year, I only think Smart, Brow, and Horford will be starters when we start to really contend.  The 2017 & 2018 drafts have a lot of nice SF prospects, so I really think we'll see Brown playing minutes at both the 2 and the 3.   the 2018 draft has some nice looking center prospects.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 06:14:52 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I don't think we will be seeing Nader in camp this year. He will probably be stashed somewhere as the C's would like to keep his rights rather than cutting him (if he's not good enough) right away.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 06:29:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think we will be seeing Nader in camp this year. He will probably be stashed somewhere as the C's would like to keep his rights rather than cutting him (if he's not good enough) right away.

Yeah, we'll see Nader next year (maybe -- still tight on roster spots then too!)

I think it's Bentil or Hunter for the last spot.  I'm going to wager Bentil, with Hunter getting traded and Young just released.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:57:24 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 06:47:31 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm liking the idea of Jackson making the roster right away.  Hunter I thought would take that spot but didn't really step forward as much as I thought he would in summer league. There's still preseason to go though.  Jackson is a 21 year old rookie though.  I thought he might be a stash for a bit sort of player but there is a chance he could contribute right away. 

It's tricky as far as players to put at the end of the active roster and who will be in and out of the d-league this year.  I expect jackson to be that.

I think what is ultimately going to happen is a trade before the start of the year. Young, Rj and Bentil are at the end of the list but I don't think Ainge wants to cut all 3.

You have it  right as far as the guys with the lead for spots right now.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:53:33 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I don't know though.  The trade stuff seems to have sailed and I like that roster. Ainge might still have something up his sleave.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 06:57:27 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
I'm liking the idea of Jackson making the roster right away.  Hunter I thought would take that spot but didn't really step forward as much as I thought he would in summer league. There's still preseason to go though.  Jackson is a 21 year old rookie though.  I thought he might be a stash for a bit sort of player but there is a chance he could contribute right away. 

It's tricky as far as players to put at the end of the active roster and who will be in and out of the d-league this year.  I expect jackson to be that.

I think what is ultimately going to happen is a trade before the start of the year. Young, Rj and Bentil are at the end of the list but I don't think Ainge wants to cut all 3.

I agree that R.J's play in the summer league wasn't up to the standards that were expected of him, but I think he did a lot better than Demetrius Jackson. The latter got outplayed by Pierre Jackson (mind you a 5'10 PG who hasn't even played a single NBA game yet) in the last game against Portland.

I really don't see how you - generally speaking - can justify keeping Jackson over R.J as Marcus could be our 3rd ball handler if needed.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 07:32:20 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I agree that R.J's play in the summer league wasn't up to the standards that were expected of him, but I think he did a lot better than Demetrius Jackson. The latter got outplayed by Pierre Jackson (mind you a 5'10 PG who hasn't even played a single NBA game yet) in the last game against Portland.

I really don't see how you - generally speaking - can justify keeping Jackson over R.J as Marcus could be our 3rd ball handler if needed.

I'm not even sure what Rj is at this point.  I'm not really even going to justify it because I'd like to see how he does in camp and preseason. He's still pretty young. Jackson I feel like he is a good lock as far as a guy to go between the roster and d-league and a pretty athletic guy who can do some things.

I don't think Ainge's intent is to cut these guys though. It's  not a huge deal if we have to but that still isn't the intent. We are going into camp as it stands with 18 guys were it's still a matter of giving ourselves the most options.

I think the Celtics still like Rj. I don't see why they wouldn't but there are still questions with him.

I think he's a unique enough talent where the goal is not to waive him. I don't think the Celtics do that.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 07:44:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

1) Jackson was a better player in college than Hunter.  Hunter scored more, but he was the best player on an okay team in a bad conference.  Jackson was on a good team in a great conference.

2) Jackson is a year younger.

3) The Celtics have seen RJ Hunter for a year.  It's possible his game hasn't grown at all -- that he's still missing the same defensive rotations as he did in training camp, for example.  That he hasn't improved some practice habits, perhaps.  I don't know exactly, because I'm not management and don't get to see behind the scenes, but what I can assure you is that Jackson being ahead of Hunter was made prior to summer league, because...

4) When Jackson was drafted, the Celtics gushed about him and reporters tweeted from "sources" that Jackson would be on the roster.  This was before free agency and before summer league.  They weren't using summer league to evaluate him in terms of a roster spot -- they were using summer league to get him reps.

5) This is further corroborated by the fact that Gerald Green, the Celtics only free agent signing besides Horford, plays Hunter's position.  If they'd gone off and gotten Jarrett Jack, then that would say something different.  But they got Green, who's an athletic wing sometimes prone to defensive errors, but who can hit the three.  I agree with you that Snart can be the third ball handler -- in fact, I'd argue he certainly is, if not the second.  But it's good to have four of those guys on a roster.  Injuries can pile up quickly at that position.

6) Despite that he's never played in an NBA game, I'd argue Pierre Jackson, who in his first pro season set the (now-broken) single-game scoring record in the D-league, and holds the second-highest single-season per game scoring average in the D-league, has been a better pro than RJ Hunter.  He suffered an Achilles tear in Summer league two years ago.  Last year he didn't look good, but he looked much more explosive this summer.  I'm not surprised he outplayed Demetrious for a game.  I hope he finally gets his shot in the NBA.  It was really disappointing that New Orleans refused to offer him a contract when he was tearing up the D-league, despite only having 14 players on the roster much of the year.

Anyway, the main point is that the Celtics were not using summer league to decide about Demetrious.  If Hunter had shown up over the summer, they might not have signed Gerald Green, but they were not competing then for a roster spot, and they are not now competing for a roster spot.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
If I'm looking at this roster I think Rj, Jackson and Nader are 3 guys I like.  It's possible we could stash one of them somewhere.  I think everyone else is a lock to make the roster barring trades. 

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 07:49:22 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

1) Jackson was a better player in college than Hunter.  Hunter scored more, but he was the best player on an okay team in a bad conference.  Jackson was on a good team in a great conference.

3) The Celtics have seen RJ Hunter for a year.  It's possible his game hasn't grown at all -- that he's still missing the same defensive rotations as he did in training camp, for example.  That he hasn't improved some practice habits, perhaps.  I don't know exactly, because I'm not management and don't get to see behind the scenes, but what I can assure you is that Jackson being ahead of Hunter was made prior to summer league, because...

4) When Jackson was drafted, the Celtics gushed about him and reporters tweeted from "sources" that Jackson would be on the roster.  This was before free agency and before summer league.  They weren't using summer league to evaluate him in terms of a roster spot -- they were using summer league to get him reps.

5) This is further corroborated by the fact that Gerald Green, the Celtics only free agent signing besides Horford, plays Hunter's position.  If they'd gone off and gotten Jarrett Jack, then that would say something different.  But they got Green, who's an athletic wing sometimes prone to defensive errors, but who can hit the three.  I agree with you that Snart can be the third ball handler -- in fact, I'd argue he certainly is, if not the second.  But it's good to have four of those guys on a roster.  Injuries can pile up quickly at that position.

6) Despite that he's never played in an NBA game, I'd argue Pierre Jackson, who in his first pro season set the (now-broken) single-game scoring record in the D-league, and holds the second-highest single-season per game scoring average in the D-league, has been a better pro than RJ Hunter.  He suffered an Achilles tear in Summer league two years ago.  Last year he didn't look good, but he looked much more explosive this summer.  I'm not surprised he outplayed Demetrious for a game.  I hope he finally gets his shot in the NBA.  It was really disappointing that New Orleans refused to offer him a contract when he was tearing up the D-league, despite only having 14 players on the roster much of the year.

Anyway, the main point is that the Celtics were not using summer league to decide about Demetrious.  If Hunter had shown up over the summer, they might not have signed Gerald Green, but they were not competing then for a roster spot, and they are not now competing for a roster spot.

That's excellent.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green

TP. You are bringing up very valid points.

I personally can't see the hype about Demetrius, which is why I hope I'm proven wrong. Obviously there are a lot of guys who manage to dominate/play well in college without being able to translate that to the NBA, hence why I'm not overly thrilled about Jackson right now. Time will tell however.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The thing with Rj is I think he has good potential.  Devin Booker is a guy who busted out and I could see him as a more versatile version of that. I think Rj is pretty unique with his shooting and versatility offensively.  Defensively and with his athletic ability  can be questioned.  Mickey may have his ups and downs in camp too.  None of these guys strike me as players we want to waive overly.  Nader is another guy. I really like him and he impressed in summer league.  There are things that can be done.