Author Topic: can you really believe the celts got horford  (Read 4484 times)

Re: can you really believe the celts got horford
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Considering the rest of the summer - the draft, other free agents and trades - was a total washout, not really.

Horford will help us - maybe a 5 win difference. But we're going to miss Evan Turner and you're going to see that Brown is a long-term project. Shame that's all we got out of the third pick, and one of the four Brooklyn picks.

Two of them are gone now. The pressure is on Ainge to get immediate help out of the other two, or signing Horford was a waste of time and more than $100 million. You don't bring Al in to play "Kick the Development Can Further Down the Road."

the loss of turner will be felt in the playoffs.

I still say(regardless of the horford signing) this team's positioning in the east will be determined more by how good or bad the rest of the teams in the east are. I've been right about that 2 yr's in a row. Horford doesn't move the meter for me at all, he's just like everyone else on the team - he can make jump shots(particularly 3's) but he's not a shooter... which is why he disappears at the highest level of competition or in simpler terms the playoffs.

the only way I see me being wrong is if someone on this team makes a huge jump in progression. 

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 07:23:14 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
How will the loss of Turner be felt in the playoffs??  Turner was horrible in the playoffs and was the main reason we lost IMO.  Glad he's gone.

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 07:35:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
....... The pressure is on Ainge to get immediate help out of the other two, or signing Horford was a waste of time and more than $100 million. You don't bring Al in to play "Kick the Development Can Further Down the Road."

If the Celtics are not able to develop the players or make trades necessary to be a real contender, you can always trade Horford (even though he has a 15% trade kicker I think).  He is a valuable asset.  He will not go to waste in any case.  I think they should be very careful about trading the picks.  I am all for it if they get good certain value back but if not, hang on to the picks.  Horford or no Horford should not drive these types of decisions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:47:50 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's an exciting time as a fan.
Horford's impact will be huge on both ends. He's a true 2 way player and he won't be sharing the court with another star like Millsap in the paint so his effectiveness will be magnified.

IT
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Amir

Is going to be a great starting 5.
if Marcus can take over the Evan Turner role, even with diminished scoring-but get to the line with regularity, we'll give Cleveland and Toronto a really tough outing in the playoffs.

All it takes is for Clevleand to suffer an injury to Kyrie or Love and the playing field is substantially closer.

If we can add a Jimmy Butler caliber guy we'll be right there with them even if we are 40% to win underdogs.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 09:34:06 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Given that Al Horford may turn out to be no better than Jermaine O'Neal late in his career, I don't think there's much to get excited about unconditionally.

Also, we're not winning 60 games this season. Please. Over the past 3 years, there have been just 5 60-win record. That's harder than you think it is.

Considering the rest of the summer - the draft, other free agents and trades - was a total washout, not really.

Horford will help us - maybe a 5 win difference. But we're going to miss Evan Turner and you're going to see that Brown is a long-term project. Shame that's all we got out of the third pick, and one of the four Brooklyn picks.

Two of them are gone now. The pressure is on Ainge to get immediate help out of the other two, or signing Horford was a waste of time and more than $100 million. You don't bring Al in to play "Kick the Development Can Further Down the Road."

Are you guys related?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yes I can really believe it. We're Boston.

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 10:01:32 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge is lucky he got Horford. He's finding it's not that easy to get a "star." As free agents, they want to go with a sure winner. And as trade fodder, teams don't like to give them up--they sell tickets. He'll probably have the same problem next year.

I suspect Danny would have been better off if he targeted a little lower pre-season, improving the team's weaknesses in rebounding and shooting--without aiming for the stars. At least he did sign Green.

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
How will the loss of Turner be felt in the playoffs??  Turner was horrible in the playoffs and was the main reason we lost IMO.  Glad he's gone.

he didn't have a great playoffs this past season, no one did. but the season before that he was the only guy on the team able to get his own shot at the next level.

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
All it takes is for Clevleand to suffer an injury to Kyrie or Love and the playing field is substantially closer.

If we can add a Jimmy Butler caliber guy we'll be right there with them even if we are 40% to win underdogs.

a lot of "if's" to be relying on.

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Adding Horford (and to a much lesser extent Green) will give us a variety of lineups both big and small that have solid-to-good 3 point shooting at every position, and 3 excellent/elite defenders on the floor at the same time.

KO/Horford/Crowder/AB/IT

Horford/Crowder/Green/AB/IT

Horford/JJ/Crowder/AB/IT

Etc.

That's what excites me most about this team, as it brings us a lot closer to the current NBA blueprint for success.

I think focus on our regular season record improving is also a bit misguided. This is an addition that makes us a more dangerous playoff team, for the above reason. We were simply outclassed offensively the last couple years, once we hit the postseason.