Author Topic: can you really believe the celts got horford  (Read 4483 times)

can you really believe the celts got horford
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i find it almost impossible to visualize how much he will improve everyone from defensive perimeter to isaiah-
you get used to a turner and sully but horford is a sophisticated, intelligent and smooth operator unlike westbrook
its staggering the impact he will have
and it was without breaking up core
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:00:56 PM by rollie mass »

Re: can you really believe the celts got horford
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Yes very excited to have a legit 2 way big on this roster. I found last years roster fun to watch but could easily see both offensively and defensively this team was carried by it's smalls.
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:31 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Horford is the man! Extremely pleased that he chose us, and it's amazing that we the fans played a part in the recruitment process.  ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
It is amazing..I cannot wait for opening night!!!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Horford is not only a great two way big he is a cerebral player and a character guy. That's a tough find in today's NBA. He will make this team ten wins better if we are healthy and if Ainge can just strike gold in the draft or through trade this team is title bound within a year.

We need a big time, nasty attitude, defensive stud power forward now to go with Crowder, AB, and SMart. Someone along the line of a Rodman, Rick Mahorn, Anthony Mason, type. A player who doesnt break the bank and does the dirty work.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm absolutely surprised, but I know I won't fully grasp how much better he's going to make us until I see him on the court.

Players like him, who do the little things that become more apparent the more you watch them take a little time to truly appreciate.

In the playoffs I remember complaining about the illegal screens he set against us. If they let him do that in Boston, you can expect a lot of Celtics to get more open looks and shoot a higher percentage than in the past.

His ability to roll hard to the hoop, pop or roll to the mid post and distribute the ball from there is really going to help the offense. I guarantee he is a catalyst behind a lot of players having career shooting years and not get enough credit for it, when it happens.

He isn't an elite rim protector, but his ability to be in good position the entire time will deter drives before they start, rather than stop them at the rim.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
i find it almost impossible to visualize how much he will improve everyone from defensive perimeter to isaiah-
you get used to a turner and sully but horford is a sophisticated, intelligent and smooth operator unlike westbrook

I agree, although Turner was definitely a significant piece of our team last year.

If Smart can step up and play ~30min, as our 6th man when we go small, I think he's a better fit than Turner.  But it's up to him, Brown, Green, Jerebko, or KO to step up and replace Turner's offense in the 2nd unit.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
I've forgiven him for the 2008 Playoffs incident with Paul Pierce. Good luck Alfred.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Personally for me it feels like the Shaq addition. I thought there was very little chance of it happening and on paper it seems like a great addition. However the impact probably won't be there. Hope I'm wrong of course.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

I agree, although Turner was definitely a significant piece of our team last year.

If Smart can step up and play ~30min, as our 6th man when we go small, I think he's a better fit than Turner.  But it's up to him, Brown, Green, Jerebko, or KO to step up and replace Turner's offense in the 2nd unit.

I think Rozier is going to be the guy to step up and replace Turner.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's a huge and underappreciated move that is being overshadowed by dreams of much bigger moves.   

It sounds like we were one of the two main options for Durant.  Him signing with the Warriors was a punch in the gut, but it also was a freight train to the entire league.   That team looks like it's going to own the league for a decade.  And the weight of that has basically crushed the fact that adding Horford likely puts us in the top 2/3 of the Eastern Conference and anywhere from 50-60 wins. 

Horford is going to be a really big help.  Any other year, this would be seen as a major deal that could make us long shots at a championship.   With the Golden State Globetrotters hovering over everything like a suffocating blanket of death, it has really muffled a lot of the excitement surrounding Horford's addition. 

That and everyone is selling themselves on trading for guys like Blake Griffin and Russell Westbrook (neither of which is available) and not stopping to appreciate the upgrade we just made.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:51:37 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Given that Al Horford may turn out to be no better than Jermaine O'Neal late in his career, I don't think there's much to get excited about unconditionally.

Also, we're not winning 60 games this season. Please. Over the past 3 years, there have been just 5 60-win record. That's harder than you think it is.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I bet Horford can't really believe he got Bamboozled by Ainge into signing here....thinking Danny was gonna go out and get another star player....joke's on him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 03:24:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Given that Al Horford may turn out to be no better than Jermaine O'Neal late in his career, I don't think there's much to get excited about unconditionally.

Also, we're not winning 60 games this season. Please. Over the past 3 years, there have been just 5 60-win record. That's harder than you think it is.
I can always count on you to be a rain storm at the first sign of a parade. I expect Horford to age significantly better than O'Neal who relied on athleticism to be a star early in his career and then faded when his athleticism did.

Can you do me a solid and say one positive thing about Horford?

Agreed about 60 wins, I think 55 is a possibility though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 03:35:58 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948
I felt like we had a good chance of getting Horford, but still admittedly was shocked when he chose us.  Shocked and happy.

I'm cautiously optimistic about his potential positive impact on our team.  If you think about the minutes he's going to have in place of our old players - primarily Sully, and to a lesser extent our other rotational bigs and David Lee (when he got PT) - it's difficult to envision our team being any worse than last season.  Horford is a superior 2-way player than any of the bigs that were present on our roster last year.  He is able to space the floor with the starting unit, something that Sully could never do.  He also sets good (illegal) screens and is an upgrade defensively.

Over the past two seasons, we've made the playoffs, but I never felt like we were a team that was actually built to succeed there.  Not enough starpower, not enough offense.  We're not going to beat Cleveland, but I think we now have a far more legitimate shot in reaching the 2nd round or even ECF if the matchups go our way.

I think a 55-win total is too optimistic.  Probably high 40's to 50.