Author Topic: Epic Retirement summer  (Read 4803 times)

Re: Epic Retirement summer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Stoudemire elected to sign with NY(!) to retire. I found that odd given the amount of time he spent in Phoenix. Oh well.
What is the purpose of signing with a team to retire?  Is it just symbolic?  That's what Doc was saying in regards to Pierce... that if Pierce decided to hang it up, he'd send him to Boston so that he spend a day as a Celtic this Summer and call it quits.  What's the point of that?  Just for the press conference?   Couldn't they have a retirement press conference in Boston regardless of whether or not he joins the team?  It's not like he'd suit up and play a final game.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Stoudemire elected to sign with NY(!) to retire. I found that odd given the amount of time he spent in Phoenix. Oh well.
What is the purpose of signing with a team to retire?  Is it just symbolic?  That's what Doc was saying in regards to Pierce... that if Pierce decided to hang it up, he'd send him to Boston so that he spend a day as a Celtic this Summer and call it quits.  What's the point of that?  Just for the press conference?   Couldn't they have a retirement press conference in Boston regardless of whether or not he joins the team?  It's not like he'd suit up and play a final game.
Neither do I. I guess it's just for symbolic reasons as you pointed out. Either way it doesn't really make a difference in my book.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:19:40 PM by TA9 »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 05:27:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
What about Manu Ginobili? He's considering retirement too isn't he? And he is a future hall of famer as well.

I'm not sure if Manu makes the HoF. On the face of it he doesn't. 2 time All Star. Never averaged 20 ppg. Never averaged 5 rebounds a game. Never averaged 5 assists a game. Started only 1/3rd of the games he's ever played in. His core stats are quite good but not anywhere near hall-worthy.

Because he was on great teams (and he was a significant part of those teams) many advanced metrics like win shares like him quite a bit. Of course, he also has the championships. But it's going to be tough to put an off-the-bench guy with decent but not great statistics in the HoF. Not to mention that Parker and Duncan are already locks.

If this were the older days (like the Celtics players of the 60s), he'd have a better chance. But in a 30 team league with guys who have markedly better statistics? He'll just be seen as a very good but complimentary role player and to get in the HOF he's going to have to buy a ticket like most everyone else. If he does get in, he'll get in like Dennis Rodman got in - on the coattails of better players and being fortunate enough to play with all-time greats.

Basketball Hall of Fame, not NBA Hall of Fame, that also includes:

Drazen Petrovic
Sarunas Marciulionis
Arvydas Sabonis
Yao Ming

This ain't that shabby of a resume:

Career highlights and awards
4× NBA champion (2003, 2005, 2007, 2014)
1x Olympic Gold Medal (2004)
2× NBA All-Star (2005, 2011)
2× All-NBA Third Team (2008, 2011)
NBA Sixth Man of the Year (2008)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (2003)
FIBA Americas Championship MVP (2001)
Euroleague champion (2001)
Euroleague Finals MVP (2001)
All-Euroleague First Team (2002)
Italian Cup MVP (2002)
2× Italian League MVP (2001, 2002)
2× Olimpia de Oro (2003, 2004)
Diamond Konex Award (2010)
50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors (2008)

It might be a while though.  Toni Kukoc with a similar resume is still waiting to get in, but both will get in eventually.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I posted about this too....  CRAZY if they do...

I think STAT picked NY for branding reasons....Being able to connect his name to NY will help with Restaurants and other endorsements...  Thats my guess. 
Diggles

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
What about Manu Ginobili? He's considering retirement too isn't he? And he is a future hall of famer as well.

I'm not sure if Manu makes the HoF. On the face of it he doesn't. 2 time All Star. Never averaged 20 ppg. Never averaged 5 rebounds a game. Never averaged 5 assists a game. Started only 1/3rd of the games he's ever played in. His core stats are quite good but not anywhere near hall-worthy.

Because he was on great teams (and he was a significant part of those teams) many advanced metrics like win shares like him quite a bit. Of course, he also has the championships. But it's going to be tough to put an off-the-bench guy with decent but not great statistics in the HoF. Not to mention that Parker and Duncan are already locks.

If this were the older days (like the Celtics players of the 60s), he'd have a better chance. But in a 30 team league with guys who have markedly better statistics? He'll just be seen as a very good but complimentary role player and to get in the HOF he's going to have to buy a ticket like most everyone else. If he does get in, he'll get in like Dennis Rodman got in - on the coattails of better players and being fortunate enough to play with all-time greats.

Basketball Hall of Fame, not NBA Hall of Fame, that also includes:

Drazen Petrovic
Sarunas Marciulionis
Arvydas Sabonis
Yao Ming

This ain't that shabby of a resume:

Career highlights and awards
4× NBA champion (2003, 2005, 2007, 2014)
1x Olympic Gold Medal (2004)
2× NBA All-Star (2005, 2011)
2× All-NBA Third Team (2008, 2011)
NBA Sixth Man of the Year (2008)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (2003)
FIBA Americas Championship MVP (2001)
Euroleague champion (2001)
Euroleague Finals MVP (2001)
All-Euroleague First Team (2002)
Italian Cup MVP (2002)
2× Italian League MVP (2001, 2002)
2× Olimpia de Oro (2003, 2004)
Diamond Konex Award (2010)
50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors (2008)

It might be a while though.  Toni Kukoc with a similar resume is still waiting to get in, but both will get in eventually.
depending on who retires with him, Manu will be a 1st or 2nd ballot HOFer.  His NBA career is vastly superior to Kukoc's and that is the difference between them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 02:08:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson