Author Topic: Epic Retirement summer  (Read 4844 times)

Epic Retirement summer
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:14:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Duncan, Bryant, and Stoudemire have all retired.  Pierce and Garnett are considering retirement.  If both retire, that would make 5 HOFers retiring, including 3 that are widely considered top 5 players all time at their position (TD, Kobe, KG).  And yes Amar'e is a HOFer, at least according to the HOF probability monitor at basketball-reference.  Then you have Chris Bosh who may be forced into medical retirement.  He too is a HOFer. 

Not even considering Bosh, do you recall a summer where 5 HOFers all retired?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Epic Retirement summer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Stoudemire elected to sign with NY(!) to retire. I found that odd given the amount of time he spent in Phoenix. Oh well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:19:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
What about Manu Ginobili? He's considering retirement too isn't he? And he is a future hall of famer as well.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What about Manu Ginobili? He's considering retirement too isn't he? And he is a future hall of famer as well.

Signed a 1 year deal for big $, he's coming back.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:35:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Ive heard that stat probably wont make it to the hall.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Stoudemire is a HOFer in my book. I think lots of people are down on his career because he looked like a Tim Ducan type of generational player but injuries slowed down the middle-endish of his career. Not all HOFers are the Kobes, Ducans and Birds of the world.

Stoudmire was a force in Pho and I feel him and Nash made each other HOFers.

Bottom tier HOFer but HOFer none the less.
ok fine

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Stoudemire elected to sign with NY(!) to retire. I found that odd given the amount of time he spent in Phoenix. Oh well.

I suspect it meant a lot to Amare that for at least half a season or so, he was "the man" for the Knicks.  Perhaps he also sees himself as a big reason why Carmelo forced his way to New York.

STAT was an amazing player at his height.  Longevity is his biggest issue w/ respect to making the HoF.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Wow, I'm surprised. 39 year old Manu is coming back to a team without Timmy? Interesting.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Wow, I'm surprised. 39 year old Manu is coming back to a team without Timmy? Interesting.

Manu's made less and he looked a bit less done down the stretch.

For my money, Manu's always been the most entertaining Spur.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Unfortunately guys like Dirk and Manu already messed up what could have been hands down the most epic HoF class of all time, but oh well.

Interesting question though on 5 HoFers retiring the same summer, so I quickly ran through basketball-reference.  Note, these aren't all the same HoF class, but represent the last season they played.  Also several players got in as coaches, not players, but I listed them anyway, while others had to wait 20, 30, 40 years before they were enshrined.  Anyway here's what I saw:

2003: Jordan, Robinson, Stockton, Sabonis (and years from now we'll probably be able to add Steve Kerr to this year as a coach)

1984: Elvin Hayes, Bob Lanier, Tiny Archibald, David Thompson

1980: Rick Barry, Earl Monroe, Pete Maravich, Walt Frazier, Phil Jackson

1976: Billy Cunningham, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan, Connie Hawkins, Pat Riley

1974: Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Dave DeBusschere, Jerry Lucas, Willis Reed

1973: Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer, Gus Johnson, Satch Sanders

To me, personally, it looks like '03 and '74 are up there in terms of "wow" factor.   No clue how I'd rank them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:53:25 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Apparently he reached out to Phoenix but they never responded.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think the thing is, Manu was much closer last year to the player he was in the past than Timmy was last year.  Timmy retired because his knees just wouldn't let him play anymore.

Important to remember, Manu entered the league at age 25 and has only played 14 years, despite his advanced age.  He's only averaged 26 minutes per game over his career.  Far less wear and tear for him, even with all of his international play, than Duncan had at the same age.

Wouldn't shock me at all if next year is when Manu's game finally goes off a cliff, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 03:25:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Apparently he reached out to Phoenix but they never responded.

I've really come to dislike Phoenix.  Terrible owner, chaotic management.  Used to be one of my favorite franchises.  Everything has gone to hell since they traded Nash.

Just can't overcome that karma hit, man.  Don't trade your beloved franchise player to a despised rival. 
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Unfortunately guys like Dirk and Manu already messed up what could have been hands down the most epic HoF class of all time, but oh well.

Interesting question though on 5 HoFers retiring the same summer, so I quickly ran through basketball-reference.  Note, these aren't all the same HoF class, but represent the last season they played.  Also several players got in as coaches, not players, but I listed them anyway, while others had to wait 20, 30, 40 years before they were enshrined.  Anyway here's what I saw:

2003: Jordan, Robinson, Stockton, Sabonis (and years from now we'll probably be able to add Steve Kerr to this year as a coach)

1984: Elvin Hayes,  Bob Lanier, Tiny Archibald, David Thompson

1980: Rick Barry, Earl Monroe, Pete Maravich, Walt Frazier, Phil Jackson

1976: Billy Cunningham, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan, Connie Hawkins, Pat Riley

1974: Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Dave DeBusschere, Jerry Lucas, Willis Reed

1973: Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer, Gus Johnson, Satch Sanders

To me, personally, it looks like '03 and '74 are up there in terms of "wow" factor.   No clue how I'd rank them.
pretty cool, originally i was looking at elvin hayes group tø win in game
really liking the 74 group though

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I'm not sure if Manu makes the HoF. On the face of it he doesn't. 2 time All Star. Never averaged 20 ppg. Never averaged 5 rebounds a game. Never averaged 5 assists a game. Started only 1/3rd of the games he's ever played in. His core stats are quite good but not anywhere near hall-worthy.

Because he was on great teams (and he was a significant part of those teams) many advanced metrics like win shares like him quite a bit. Of course, he also has the championships. But it's going to be tough to put an off-the-bench guy with decent but not great statistics in the HoF. Not to mention that Parker and Duncan are already locks.

If this were the older days (like the Celtics players of the 60s), he'd have a better chance. But in a 30 team league with guys who have markedly better statistics? He'll just be seen as a very good but complimentary role player and to get in the HOF he's going to have to buy a ticket like most everyone else. If he does get in, he'll get in like Dennis Rodman got in - on the coattails of better players and being fortunate enough to play with all-time greats.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.