Poll

Which one is the best Big-3?

2008 Boston Celtics
2013 Miami Heat
2016 Cleveland Cavaliers
2017 Golden State Warriors

Author Topic: Poll: Which Big-3 was best - 2008 C's, 2013 Heat, 2016 Cavs, 2017 Warriors?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll take the Warriors, first and foremost because what they have is a legitimate Big Four.

Four top 15-20 players.  The other listed teams cannot boast that.  I think you can make a strong case the Warriors have four guys who fit better together, at least on paper, than any of the other teams had.  Of course, it is fair to hold judgment on that until we see them all on the court together.

Additionally, did any of the other mentioned teams have two top 5 players? 

Curry and Durant are inarguably among the 5 best players in the world right now.

The 08 Celts had, arguably, a top 5 player in Garnett and a top 10 player in Pierce.

LeBron has been a top 5 player for a long time now, but I don't think Wade or Irving qualifies.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:53:06 PM by PhoSita »
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'll take the Warriors, first and foremost because what they have is a legitimate Big Four.

Four top 15-20 players.  The other listed teams cannot boast that.  I think you can make a strong case the Warriors have four guys who fit better together, at least on paper, than any of the other teams had.  Of course, it is fair to hold judgment on that until we see them all on the court together.

Curry and Durant are inarguably among the 5 best players in the world right now.

The 08 Celts had, arguably, a top 5 player in Garnett and a top 10 player in Pierce.

LeBron has been a top 5 player for a long time now, but I don't think Wade or Irving qualifies.
Wade was arguably top 5 when they first came together, but probably a pretty clear top 10 player for at least the first couple of years, add him to James who was without question the best player in the world and you have a pretty nice 1/2 punch.  Bosh was a top 20ish player, so that was certainly a pretty nice combo. 

Golden State definitely has the best 4th man, but if I'm just looking at 3, I probably take the Heat though it would be a close call with the Warriors.  The Celtics would be 3rd. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Wade was arguably top 5 when they first came together, but probably a pretty clear top 10 player for at least the first couple of years, add him to James who was without question the best player in the world and you have a pretty nice 1/2 punch.  Bosh was a top 20ish player, so that was certainly a pretty nice combo. 

Golden State definitely has the best 4th man, but if I'm just looking at 3, I probably take the Heat though it would be a close call with the Warriors.  The Celtics would be 3rd.

I can see the argument for Wade / Bron, especially considering how good Wade had been at his best.

My choice would still be Curry / Durant, if only because I see them as a more natural pairing.  Durant is a much better off-ball player, for my money, than Wade or LeBron ever were, especially given his outstanding shooting.

Curry - Durant, it seems to me, has the potential to be similar to the Nash - Dirk pick and rolls of old, only imagine that Dirk has the explosion and agility of a hyperathletic wing.

You add Klay to the mix running around screens on the weakside, and it boggles the mind trying to think of how teams will defend it.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I can see the argument for Wade / Bron, especially considering how good Wade had been at his best.

My choice would still be Curry / Durant, if only because I see them as a more natural pairing.  Durant is a much better off-ball player, for my money, than Wade or LeBron ever were, especially given his outstanding shooting.

Curry - Durant, it seems to me, has the potential to be similar to the Nash - Dirk pick and rolls of old, only imagine that Dirk has the explosion and agility of a hyperathletic wing.

You add Klay to the mix running around screens on the weakside, and it boggles the mind trying to think of how teams will defend it.
The thing is of course neither Curry or Durant are world class defenders, James is.  That is what sets him apart and why even today he is still the best player in the world. 

The way you defend Golden State is by getting up in their face and pushing them around and by making them work on the other side of the floor.  And here is the thing, those guys are all great shooters, but none of them are elite at taking someone off the dribble.  You just have to get in their face and press them and make them try to beat you off the dribble. 

I think it is far from a given that the 17 Warriors win the title.  They are the clear favorites for a reason, but I'm not convinced this little experiment will work.  There are only so many shots to be had and those guys are all very similar offensively.  Given that I'm not sure they will fit as well as some people think. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
James is a world class defender when he tries to be.  He does that in the playoffs these days, when his opponent is worthy.

Durant played spectacular defense in these playoffs, though.

Curry has never been a great defender, but he's been a league leader in steals the past few years, and when healthy manages his assignments pretty well.  Far from a negative on that end.

I think you're right about the way that teams have learned to challenge the Warriors.  That said, the reason the Warriors could not beat that strategy in the Finals was that Curry's knee injury severely limited his ability to attack switches off the dribble, as he did last year to such great effect.  Just think about the last few minutes of the 4th quarter of Game 7 (I doubt I'll ever forget it ... ugh).  A series of launches from three point land, including a pull-up from deep by Curry with Kevin Love switched onto him.  The Warriors simply lost their mojo inside the arc.  And yet, they were still a missed shot one way or another from winning the title.

Now, enter Durant.  Durant has become a pretty devastating 1-on-1 player, in pretty much every situation, including attacking closeouts off the dribble.  Far, far more dangerous than Harrison Barnes was.  Barnes' inability to create off the dribble when the opposing defense keyed in heavily on his teammates was a major weakness for the Warriors in the playoffs.  Especially, I reiterate, after Curry's injury.
- Mark Twain

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
James is a world class defender when he tries to be.  He does that in the playoffs these days, when his opponent is worthy.

Durant played spectacular defense in these playoffs, though.

Curry has never been a great defender, but he's been a league leader in steals the past few years, and when healthy manages his assignments pretty well.  Far from a negative on that end.

I think you're right about the way that teams have learned to challenge the Warriors.  That said, the reason the Warriors could not beat that strategy in the Finals was that Curry's knee injury severely limited his ability to attack switches off the dribble, as he did last year to such great effect.  Just think about the last few minutes of the 4th quarter of Game 7 (I doubt I'll ever forget it ... ugh). A series of launches from three point land, including a pull-up from deep by Curry with Kevin Love switched onto him.  The Warriors simply lost their mojo inside the arc.  And yet, they were still a missed shot one way or another from winning the title.

Now, enter Durant.  Durant has become a pretty devastating 1-on-1 player, in pretty much every situation, including attacking closeouts off the dribble.  Far, far more dangerous than Harrison Barnes was.  Barnes' inability to create off the dribble when the opposing defense keyed in heavily on his teammates was a major weakness for the Warriors in the playoffs.  Especially, I reiterate, after Curry's injury.

I too feel like the warriors should have won the championship and that was just like a few minutes out of the twilight zone I will always remember. If that happens Durant isn't on the Warriors and I am a lot more excited about watching the upcoming NBA season than I am.

Online SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948
I'd actually wondered about this as well - the best "Big 3's" of recent.  If I had to rank them:

1) 2013 Heat - primarily because of LBJ, who was, and still is, the best player on the planet
2) 2008 Celtics
3) 2017 GSW - On paper they're probably the best, but they haven't proven anything yet.  Steph Curry may be a top 5 player, but hasn't even been in the Finals MVP discussion over the past two Finals.
4) 2016 Cavs - in my opinion would lose in a 7-game series to all three teams above.