Author Topic: Sheehan: The Time for Fireworks will be 2017 (Unless it's Not)  (Read 3969 times)

Re: Sheehan: The Time for Fireworks will be 2017 (Unless it's Not)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Sooooo tired of the same old garbage---wait til next offseason, wait til next trade deadline, wait til next free agency, wait til next draft.....blah, blah, blah, blah! 
DA has become paralyzed with fear about making the wrong trade, the wrong move, etc.  I had a great teacher in high school who used to tell students who had the same fear of answering a question wrong, and would just sit there.  He'd say, "look before you leap,.....but LEAP!"  Danny is so worried that he'll make the wrong move, that he just won't make ANY!  All these minor moves or signings isn't going to doom his reputation, but he just can't seem to "leap" at a chance at the BIG one!
Like Christy Brinkley said in Vacation---"are you going to go for it?"  Come on Danny, go for it!  You're going to get raked over the coals by at least half of the fans whatever you do.  Make your move!  We're getting old here!

You realize not every trade Danny makes can be the equivalent of the KG trade right? That move and the turnaround the team had after that trade happens once in a lifetime. This will take more time and fortunately this time around, the team is even younger than it was the last time we made some fireworks. Danny is both building through the draft, trading, and making some moves over FA, and he's done great for the position he's in.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The C's need two SUPERSTARS right now to compete for a championship!  If Danny has to overpay for a Westbrook and/or Griffin, so be it!  With GS and Cavs what they are now, it's the only way you're going to compete for a title for the next several years.  Al Horford is NOT getting us there.  If fact, if you're not getting at least one superstar to go with him, his signing was a total waste.
Teams are not just letting their superstars go, unless they've made serious miscalculations(i.e. the Thunder), or the player is going down the backside of their career.  So it's take a calculated risk and pay up, or be satisfied winning 40 or so games each year and getting bounced in the playoffs first round.  Personally I'd rather take the shot at winning it all, rather than being happy to be just an "above average" team every year.  I think many here are underestimating the east this coming season, and just getting to the playoffs isn't gonna be a cakewalk.
I respect everyone's opinion on how to get to #18, and, yeah, maybe one of these years we'll get lucky in the draft, or DA can dupe another GM out of a superstar, but getting all those things to happen in a certain time frame, while all our good players are still in their prime, seems dubious at best!

Do you know what you get if you give up every asset for a non-transformative star like Griffin or Westbrook? The Kevin Love Timberwolves. We need a perennial MVP candidate, not a guy that might be in the conversation for a year or 2
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
To overpay for 1 yr rentals is just plain stupid.  And to give away the Nets picks and 2 starters is stupid.  Getting Cousins seems pretty risky because of character issues.  I want to jump start this a little faster too but I'm  not blowing my load in 5 mins when I paid for the whole night.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The C's need two SUPERSTARS right now to compete for a championship!  If Danny has to overpay for a Westbrook and/or Griffin, so be it!  With GS and Cavs what they are now, it's the only way you're going to compete for a title for the next several years.  Al Horford is NOT getting us there.  If fact, if you're not getting at least one superstar to go with him, his signing was a total waste.
Teams are not just letting their superstars go, unless they've made serious miscalculations(i.e. the Thunder), or the player is going down the backside of their career.  So it's take a calculated risk and pay up, or be satisfied winning 40 or so games each year and getting bounced in the playoffs first round.  Personally I'd rather take the shot at winning it all, rather than being happy to be just an "above average" team every year.  I think many here are underestimating the east this coming season, and just getting to the playoffs isn't gonna be a cakewalk.
I respect everyone's opinion on how to get to #18, and, yeah, maybe one of these years we'll get lucky in the draft, or DA can dupe another GM out of a superstar, but getting all those things to happen in a certain time frame, while all our good players are still in their prime, seems dubious at best!

Do you know what you get if you give up every asset for a non-transformative star like Griffin or Westbrook? The Kevin Love Timberwolves. We need a perennial MVP candidate, not a guy that might be in the conversation for a year or 2

Going to disagree that Westbrook isn't a game changer. He definitely is. A player like him who can average literally a walking triple double every year, and top 3 at his position is no laughing matter.

I do agree Westbrook/Blake Griffin wouldn't get it done. But I believe a team with perimeter defenders, Westbrook, and Cousins can definitely counter well against GSW/CLE/Spurs.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 07:38:22 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Sooooo tired of the same old garbage---wait til next offseason, wait til next trade deadline, wait til next free agency, wait til next draft.....blah, blah, blah, blah! 
DA has become paralyzed with fear about making the wrong trade, the wrong move, etc.  I had a great teacher in high school who used to tell students who had the same fear of answering a question wrong, and would just sit there.  He'd say, "look before you leap,.....but LEAP!"  Danny is so worried that he'll make the wrong move, that he just won't make ANY!  All these minor moves or signings isn't going to doom his reputation, but he just can't seem to "leap" at a chance at the BIG one!
Like Christy Brinkley said in Vacation---"are you going to go for it?"  Come on Danny, go for it!  You're going to get raked over the coals by at least half of the fans whatever you do.  Make your move!  We're getting old here!

Right, because this rebuild has been going on FOREVER! Oh. Wait......

Some folks have the attention span of toddlers.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

No need to insult a user, just because they expressed their opinion.

We should all keep an open mind, because some fans think differently than others. People forget how hurt we were when we ended up with the 5th pick, and how depressed we felt, and the anticipation and anxiety building up when the KG deal was still on going.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Going to disagree that Westbrook isn't a game changer. He definitely is. A player like him who can average literally a walking triple double every year, and top 3 at his position is no laughing matter.

I do agree Westbrook/Blake Griffin wouldn't get it done. But I believe a team with perimeter defenders, Westbrook, and Cousins can definitely counter well against GSW/CLE/Spurs.

My point is that Westbrook won't carry you deep into the playoffs on his own, like a KG or Lebron could

Westbrook and Cousins would be great, but you can't get both if you give up everything to get one of them, which is what I was trying to say
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 07:57:51 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55

Firstly, my attention span with the Celtics started in 1957!  Been throught lots of great times, and 20 years of not so good ones prior to KG years!
Second, if we could trade whomever for Cousins and Westbrook, to go with Horford and whoever else was still left, I'd be pretty [dang] excited about our chances of going toe to toe with any team in the league!  That would be the "going all in" I'd be satisfied with no matter how it turned out!
This constant waiting for that dream scenario of drafting the next MJ or LBJ, and having Durant or some other megastar simultaneously craving to play for us is just not going to happen, no matter how hard you wish for it, or how long you wait for it! 
Movers and shakers, not sitters and waiters!