Author Topic: Another crack at the 2016 draft. Would you pick Brown?  (Read 6363 times)

Re: Another crack at the 2016 draft. Would you pick Brown?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
SL highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVAgCPbiAw

Samsung All-NBA Summer League Second Team

This kid was the right choice. And there is a chance he could end up being the best player of the draft.
I'd love to think so but it's hard for me to go there just yet, based only on SL.  Before the draft, he was pegged as a mediocre shooter and he showed exactly that in SL.

He made open NBA 3s.  You can't ask for more.  You can't ask him to be Jamal Murray
These days, most players coming in to the NBA should learn to hit open 3s.  This is the way the game is going, and those who don't / can't will be at a disadvantage.

Funny you mention Murray.  My personal choice pre-draft came down to Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield (with a preference for Hield because of better athleticism and defense).  I just think shooting is really important in Brad's system.  Now, I'm happy with Brown but I think it will take him a year for him to improve his shot.

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
SL highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVAgCPbiAw

Samsung All-NBA Summer League Second Team

This kid was the right choice. And there is a chance he could end up being the best player of the draft.
I'd love to think so but it's hard for me to go there just yet, based only on SL.  Before the draft, he was pegged as a mediocre shooter and he showed exactly that in SL.

He made open NBA 3s.  You can't ask for more.  You can't ask him to be Jamal Murray
These days, most players coming in to the NBA should learn to hit open 3s.  This is the way the game is going, and those who don't / can't will be at a disadvantage.

Funny you mention Murray.  My personal choice pre-draft came down to Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield (with a preference for Hield because of better athleticism and defense).  I just think shooting is really important in Brad's system.  Now, I'm happy with Brown but I think it will take him a year for him to improve his shot.

You're right but it's really spacing overall.  And you need guys who take advantage of the spacing.  We have IT who can but really not much else.  Crowder stepped up some in that regard last year as a slasher but Brown could do a lot for the team just attacking the rim.   

I have continued to see rim protection and shooting talked about as the biggest needs for the team when I think slashing and shot creators are actually the biggest.  Brown has opportunity to contribute there day one: attacking the rim, on the break, making cuts, getting to the line.

We really do need better shooting but I just think that can be found.  We have had bigger issues to address.  Brown shows shooting potential as well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 09:24:35 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would still take Chriss like I wanted to before the draft.  I like what I have seen of him.  He rebounded in SL as well which really was the knock on him.  He has made special plays at times.

However Brown would be my next choice and I really am starting to believe in him.  I think he is showing a lot of potential on defense and as a slasher.  If he develops a shot he could be a star.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I was skeptical of JB mostly due to the unfair comps to Jeff Green.  But that's because I hadn't really seen him play in college, and I didn't watch his YouTube clips until the day before the draft because I was hoping we'd pick Bender or make a trade.

But after seeing his level of aggression in summer league, as well as his remarkable improvement from the meager coaching he received between games, I am convinced he is going to be a special player.  You can just tell that he's going to be very, very serious about improving his game and becoming the best that he can be.

Some players show their intensity by jumping around, screaming, beating their chest, flexing, etc.  Jaylen doesn't do any of that.  But you can absolutely tell that he is super focused and "locked in".  The look in his eyes tells me that he's a very cerebral player, and he's looking for ways in which he can win with every action he takes.  Right now, this manifests itself in getting to the free throw line, because that's his best skill.  He sees that getting to the free throw line is a game within the game.  He recognizes that there's a niche he can operate in, and score points doing it. 

For a 19 year old to be doing that, I think it's incredible.  Once he develops a few actual go-to moves and refines his shooting form, I guarantee he's going to be a 25+ ppg scorer.

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Read my sig...

I called the pick, explained why it was the right one and have made my prediction. There's been nothing to suggest that Danny made the wrong call on draft night.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 09:43:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Nope. Wouldn't have on draft day. Wouldn't today.

Safe value: Take and trade Dunn.

Better reach pick: Chriss.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I would still take Chriss like I wanted to before the draft.  I like what I have seen of him.  He rebounded in SL as well which really was the knock on him.  He has made special plays at times.

However Brown would be my next choice and I really am starting to believe in him.  I think he is showing a lot of potential on defense and as a slasher.  If he develops a shot he could be a star.

For whatever reason, I just don't see Chriss taking that next level jump. I think he will be one of those players who makes crazy plays, struggles a bit from three, and gives you like 6-8 rebounds in his prime. A good player, but not a great player.
#JKJB

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nope. Wouldn't have on draft day. Wouldn't today.

Safe value: Take and trade Dunn.

Better reach pick: Chriss.

But only if you find a trading partner

You dont think danny trades that third pick for Butler?

Also Chriss looks decent. But he is not a very good ball handler (just ok). Does not really like sharing the ball. Not a good rebounder (though it may improve).  His spectcular dunks/alley lay ins/dunks wont work at the nba level. Lots of question marks

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Yup. Without a doubt. I believe picking at 3 and picking at 6 or 8 are different things. At 3 you have to take the player with best chance of becoming a superstar whereas later in the draft you're taking BPA. There are only so many times where one picks that high so the mindset has to be different.

And, for me, at least, Jaylen Brown has the best chance of becoming an elite franchise changing player outside of Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram, in this draft.  And that makes it a no brainer.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yes, assuming that trading the pick isn't an option he was the bpa (Best prospect available), IMO.

Dunn didn't want to be in Boston and did everything he could to not be drafted by us.

Bender is high risk, medium reward. (19 y/o Euro bench player, with "high level role player" as projected upside.)

Chriss high risk/high reward. (He is a major project, tall and super athletic but doesn't know the game)

Murray low risk/medium reward. (Super polished, young, but physically limited)

Hield moderate risk/moderate reward reward. (what you see = what you get)

Brown low risk/ high reward.