Author Topic: Another crack at the 2016 draft. Would you pick Brown?  (Read 6350 times)

Re: Another crack at the 2016 draft. Would you pick Brown?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 11:03:18 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I wanted Murray at the time, but seeing the faith Danny and Stevens have in him has made me a Jaylen Brown convert. I'll take Jaylen and hope he turns into a stud, Murray's lack of defensive intangibles must have scared DA and Stevens off.

It's still too early but Brown vs Ingram could someday come back to bite the Lakers.

This is exactly how I feel as well.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 11:03:42 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Can we do the lottery again before starting again?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 11:04:34 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
No

And you would have picked ________ in his stead?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
SL highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVAgCPbiAw

Samsung All-NBA Summer League Second Team

This kid was the right choice. And there is a chance he could end up being the best player of the draft.

Says who?

Says Triboy.

And me.
But not you.
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 11:41:05 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
No

Come on bro...give peace a chance.  ;D

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 11:50:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
SL highlights

This kid was the right choice. And there is a chance he could end up being the best player of the draft.

Says who?

Says Triboy.

And me.
But not you.
 ;D ;D ;D

Lol, TP ;D. I was just wondering if that view came from a draft expert-type, reputable journalist (which sounds like an oxymoron, lol ;D), a scout or two, etc., or even a league executive, instead, but I hope you guys are right! :) I'm with Surferdad on Brown, as of right now, btw :-\.

SL highlights

Says who?

Apparently he does. Not exactly a stretch to say that the #3 pick has a chance to end up being the best player. After SL, I think Simmons is the clear cut #1 and then there's a bunch of guys after that each could make a case for #2, JB being one of them.

Absolutely.  I'm just going off of summer league, though, but as I said above, I really do hope that the Brown fans are right on this one :).

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 12:41:00 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'll go with yes. Dunn has more value around the league, but I'm not his biggest fan. Bender looks a bit further off than expected, Buddy is one-dimensional, and Chriss' shooting numbers look to be a product of a small sample size, making him much less interesting. Brown-Murray is an interesting debate, but I think Brown has much more potential to be a superstar.

Brown will always be a better defender than Murray

I'm willing to be won over by Murray, but I just don't believe in the body.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I wouldn't have picked him the 1st time and he hasn't done anything so far to change that.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 01:00:26 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I believe the celtics had narrowed their choice to Brown and Bender if they were keeping it and Dunn for a trade.   So while I was Bender over Brown before summer league I concede Brown is better now and may be better long term.  He reminds me a lot of D-Wade, a lot.   That said I was really impressed with Maker.  I wanted him at 16 but he went 10.  I can't fault Danny for that.  He was mocked from late first to early second.  Going 10 was a shock but he showed it wasn't a mistake.  Drafting again I'd take Brown and try hard to move up and get Maker.  If I couldn't move up, which is likely I'd grab Zizic at 16 and Dejounte Murray at 23.

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 03:26:51 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I believe the celtics had narrowed their choice to Brown and Bender if they were keeping it and Dunn for a trade.   So while I was Bender over Brown before summer league I concede Brown is better now and may be better long term.  He reminds me a lot of D-Wade, a lot.   That said I was really impressed with Maker.  I wanted him at 16 but he went 10.  I can't fault Danny for that.  He was mocked from late first to early second.  Going 10 was a shock but he showed it wasn't a mistake.  Drafting again I'd take Brown and try hard to move up and get Maker.  If I couldn't move up, which is likely I'd grab Zizic at 16 and Dejounte Murray at 23.

I don't think Bender was an option because Danny made some comments before the draft about how they'd like to get someone who could come in right away and help, and not have to wait for them to develop their body and learn the game and stuff. I think that put Bender out the window.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 07:13:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I still stick by Brown being the right pick,

Dunn looks really good but his age he is much closer to a finished project

Murray also looked good but will always lack the physical skill set to be a solid wing defender

Bender is a player I fear becomes special as he develops but is years away

With Brown the Cs have a player who at 19 has the size, strength and athletic profile of an allstar SF. He has an elite knack at getting to the rim and drawing contact and projects to be at least an above average if not elite defender as he develops. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yes.  I touted Brown the entire year as the player for the C's and stick by it.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 08:38:43 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Any one of these guys (Bender, Murray, Heild, Simmonds, Dunn,...) could end up being the best player in the draft.  So to say that Brown could end up being the best player in the draft while true is not really saying all that much.

Drafting is a  crap shoot.  You could have put the top 5 or 6 names in a hat a picked them out randomly and had an equal chance of the picks aligning with the future contribution of the players. 

Brown is a fine pick at #3.  The talent and athletic ability is great as is the case with other players but Brown seems to have a real edge to him, a real competitive drive that to me sets him apart a little bit from the others.  Talent may continue to develop or may plateau but that drive will always be  there.  That is why I think Brown was the best bet at #3.

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 09:15:28 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Honestly, Summer league showed me exactly what I wanted to see from Brown. He is going to be insanely athletic, and have an ability to get to the rim. He will need to learn to finish, but I think he will be okay. He also looked like a competent passer (not great, not utterly awful.)

The real flash of something I didn't expect with brown was his rebounding. It is a very valuable skill to snag the board in traffic, and immediately rip it through for a fast break. That is something this team doesn't really have.

My coworker is a lakers "fan" and he is already getting cold feet about Ingram.  He actually is starting to think that Brown might have been a better fit next to deangelo than ingram. I think he is full of it.
#JKJB