Author Topic: Woj/Doc Rivers address Blake Griffin "Rumors"  (Read 8253 times)

Re: Woj/Doc Rivers address Blake Griffin "Rumors"
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So for those that somehow still believe there's merit to the rumor, just ask yourself why they'd even consider trading Griffin. It makes literally no sense.

The equipment manager Blake punched no longer works there:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/los-angeles-clippers-staffer-punched-by-blake-griffin-reportedly-no/article_b3b1121b-b4e9-51cc-b9b0-6bf92a2fdb1e.html

I guess there's no reason to trade him now.  Lol

Of course he doesnt, lol. No matter how that scenario played out, Blake was the victim in the eyes of anyone associated with LAC.

Must've been an awesome exit interview - "Listen, man. You forced Blake into snuffing you. It's time to go."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:58:20 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 07:59:10 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
So... Griffin to C's by next weekend? Any sauces to confirm this?
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Wow. Big deal. Doc said he wanted to coach the Celtics again 3 weeks before he left.

What he said today literally means nothing.
Look it does to Larbrd!

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 08:05:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So for those that somehow still believe there's merit to the rumor, just ask yourself why they'd even consider trading Griffin. It makes literally no sense.

They would consider trading Griffin if they thought that their current core just isn't good enough and Griffin was the player they could get the most in return for.  I think he's available for the sort of offer that makes Doc think he's hit a home run.  I don't think Ainge offers up that value.  I think he could be available during the season if the Clippers don't do well.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So if you were the GM of the Clippers, and Woj asked you the same question, what would you say?

I have no idea if these rumors have or ever had any steam behind them, but the head coach of the Clippers isn't giving any journalist- particularly someone that asks the direct question- a bar, a lick, a sniff, nothing about trading away Blake.

What would Danny Ainge say if they asked him the same question?

We can only use logic, looking at both sides of the argument to draw a conclusion:

For a trade: Blake is p---ing off Doc, CP3, the owner. His injuries have them concerned. He has one year on his deal and they are worried he's looking to test free agency. They played better without him last season when he was out and Doc adds up all these factors and listens to some calls from Danny (who is telling him the exact same thing as the above, trying to twist his arm).

Against a trade: He's the best player on their team, in his prime, and is arguably a top 5 NBA player when healthy/at his best. You build around a guy like that. You don't ship him out for Rudy Gay and a spare tyre.

The problem is that logic doesn't always win in the NBA. We still don't know which of the above is true.

We are exactly zero parts of no where closer to knowing if these rumors have any truth to them.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
That u know of.  What if he wants to leave or will not commit to signing an extension or may not sign a deal next summer or my have an injury issue or or or.....  We do not know.  There are many reasons it may be true.  We do not know. 

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 08:14:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As much as I doubt rumors, I might double down on doubting front office personnel in spin-mode.

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 08:26:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I mean, isn't it just as naive, if not more so, to absolutely believe a GM talking to the media about trade rumors about his own team? You can't trust one and totally deny the other one when neither of them are all that trustworthy on face value. That's pretty much the definition of confirmation bias, especially since you were ardently fighting against the "rumors" in the first place..

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I mean, isn't it just as naive, if not more so, to absolutely believe a GM talking to the media about trade rumors about his own team? You can't trust one and totally deny the other one when neither of them are all that trustworthy on face value. That's pretty much the definition of confirmation bias, especially since you were ardently fighting against the "rumors" in the first place..
In this case, I don't think so.  Dos is saying unequivocally that Blake is not being traded and GMs shouldn't even bother to call.  It's not like other GMs and the Clippers fan base aren't listening too.  Any GM needs to build some sort of credibility. 

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So I think I am sorta functional in Doc Riversese (not fluent by any means) and I think what he said was "Yoooooooo! We took some calls! We had some back and forth! We are SUPER cereal when we tell other teams we want A LOT for Blake Griffin. So either call with a lot or stop calling me!"

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 09:01:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The tell 19 different people the same message..... lost in translation

Unless the return is something else or Blake indicates he does not want to back with the Clippers, no trade will be made

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 09:34:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Well, that doesn't technically eliminate the possibility that someone who's not Doc talked to someone who's not Ainge...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
No matter how true it is what he said he can't win the argument. People will believe what they want to. If I were a GM I wouldn't answer questions like these, I'd talk to my players and leave it alone. A lie or the truth doesn't matter to either side of the argument. People still say Wyc promised fireworks even though his words are printed many times all over the net, it does not matter.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You know, Doc and Ainge could have literally talked twice this summer but had a heck of a lot more interaction via text, so Doc could be technically truthful yet misleading.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 10:33:30 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
So if you were the GM of the Clippers, and Woj asked you the same question, what would you say?

I have no idea if these rumors have or ever had any steam behind them, but the head coach of the Clippers isn't giving any journalist- particularly someone that asks the direct question- a bar, a lick, a sniff, nothing about trading away Blake.

What would Danny Ainge say if they asked him the same question?

We can only use logic, looking at both sides of the argument to draw a conclusion:

For a trade: Blake is p---ing off Doc, CP3, the owner. His injuries have them concerned. He has one year on his deal and they are worried he's looking to test free agency. They played better without him last season when he was out and Doc adds up all these factors and listens to some calls from Danny (who is telling him the exact same thing as the above, trying to twist his arm).

Against a trade: He's the best player on their team, in his prime, and is arguably a top 5 NBA player when healthy/at his best. You build around a guy like that. You don't ship him out for Rudy Gay and a spare tyre.

The problem is that logic doesn't always win in the NBA. We still don't know which of the above is true.

We are exactly zero parts of no where closer to knowing if these rumors have any truth to them.

This makes so much sense to me. And the crazy part is that we saw this for YEARS with Doc and Danny and we're still going to take what a coach says on a podcast as gospel? That's crazy whether you believe him or not. These guys are too calculated and there is too much money and pride involved for Doc to come out and say anything aside from "we love Blake, he's fantastic, he's a huge part of what we want to do this season and into the future. Not only are we not thinking about trading him, I'm thinking of adopting him."
We're the ones we've been waiting for.