Author Topic: Jaylen Brown is signed  (Read 14759 times)

Jaylen Brown is signed
« on: July 28, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Jaylen Brown is signed.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pressrelease/celtics-sign-five-players

I'm cool with whatever opinions anyone's got about Jaylen.  This guy has been dividing the experts from the beginning, and not without reason.

What was really interesting leading up to the draft was that the analytics approaches (I checked Pelton, who I think is very astute, and the Nylon Calculus guy) -  were even more bearish than Chad Ford; there was actually a lot of agreement between the Analytics crowd and the more traditional scouting. 

Ainge misfire?  They've obviously prioritized leadership in their personnel decisions - was this a case of getting that at the expense of actual basketball talent?

But lo and behold Summer League arrives, and it turns out that this guy has some pretty startling capacities.  He's quick and nimble as a cat - but wants to get in and mix it up. He keeps moving. He's long, has pickpocket's hands, a smooth, precise stroke - but above all, he wants to get to the rim and finish with contact - and he's a WORKER.  Among other things, the left hand is a lot better than what I saw of his college play, and he made rapid progress in Summer League despite a hyperextended knee injury.

Not without interest, it looks like Pelton, at least, changed his mind about Brown after Summer League.

He's ambitious with his skills.  In the Dallas game first half he hits a nicely contested shot-clock beater turnaround shot, on the move, fading to the baseline; the announcer called it a "Michael Jordan" shot.  Well, it's summer league, let's not get carried away; and it's not plausible that that's a reliable go-to move for Brown this season once the Big Show starts.  But it was beautifully executed; you can't do that without some serious, detailed work.  Also to take away there: he's practicing tough shots - he's working on being the closer that the Celtics have so badly needed. 

He needs reps, but boy the upside.

He has great promise and ability on both ends; he's built to defend the closers of the NBA - Kawhi, Melo, Klay, Butler (by the way, I'm betting that all talks between Bulls and C's about Jimmy are indefinitely on hold).  Bron is pretty big - but Jaylen has already said he looks forward to checking him.  Gotta love the ambition!  At that level, the difference comes down to just how hard you want it.

The unusual body format helps him in the lane - squiggly lower body but good girth in the shoulders to muscle through.

This guy could be special.

Jaylen is that rare commodity, a closer: a guy who can go get a bucket, can go get to the line.  Now that's true even if he doesn't pan out.  But he has the tools to be in that little club of guys that teams rely on for points.

Boston is best served by seeing if he can develop into one of those few guys. Why I say that can be boiled down to two things: fine motor skills and relentlessness.  The kid is truly blessed.  There are lots of guys with one of those traits, few with both.

Re: @saltlover's thread about the wait on signing Brown's contract:  if they considered trading him I'd be thoroughly surprised.  I say keep him a Celtic - he's got a shot at greatness.

To summarize: he's the rare type of player who makes an offense cook, complements a point-guard type in his shot-creation (like, say, Isaiah Thomas).  He's implacable  attacking the basket - and at improving his considerable physical gifts.  This guy is going to be really, really good.  He's in the right place at the right time.  He's a leader, coming to a culture where there's already tremendous leadership.

You Boston fans:

This thing is working. Get seats behind the home bench.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:05:47 PM by ThePaintedArea »

Re: Jaylen Brown is signed
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:01:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How long do we need to wait to trade him?  One month?

Not that I want to trade him, but a lot of folks are still hoping to see a big trade and much like the Wiggins/Love situation, this delays it.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Awesome. He will be at the least, a Gerald Green type with better defense. With his work ethic, I suspect he will be better than that. He can also be mentored by Crowder. Jaylen's in a great spot to succeed.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Not that I want to trade him, but a lot of folks are still hoping to see a big trade and much like the Wiggins/Love situation, this delays it.

One month.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Hard to blame those folks - but they'll probably change their minds in a year or two.

To quibble a little bit with your claim: actually, it only delays a big trade that includes Jaylen Brown, not any possible big trade.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Awesome. He will be at the least, a Gerald Green type with better defense. With his work ethic, I suspect he will be better than that. He can also be mentored by Crowder. Jaylen's in a great spot to succeed.

Not incidentally, Crowder and Brown have different enough games that they could very productively share the floor together for extended minutes.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

One month.

I bet that it doesn't matter. No one's untradeable, but the fit in Boston is too good, the skill too unignoreable.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 03:37:51 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
A big thing with Jaylen in college was he is an athletic slasher. 

First off, those type players just don't really excel in college usually period because of how the game works there.  Most teams pack the paint.  Teams can play zone.  The closer three point line removes spacing.   There is not the transition game as a factor there as there is in the pros.

In the pros, the floor opens up and they play with guys who can pass and will find them on the break.   They play with bigs who set great picks.  The spacing is night and day (especially in the modern NBA with small ball and how much more prevalent long range shooting is with big men).

Second, in Cal he was just in about the worst situation for his skill set.  There was zero spacing and I think it clearly hurt his game.  I'm not saying he was fantastic anyways but I think he ended up being in one of the worst possible situations for him.

I do see the criticisms as valid in ways but ultimately they became ignoring his strengths.  Yeah he would really force his way to the rim, but that's a good thing in the pros and that's how you draw fouls.  You have to be super mentally aggressive in your style to be a slasher in the NBA.  You have to see any big in front of you and think you can finish at the rim against them.  And, as I mentioned earlier, spacing is night and day in the pros and on the break he can face even less opposition at the rim.

A guy like that coming out of college can go badly but I think Jaylen has the athelticsim and shows potential in ball handling, shooting, and drawing fouls in a way that will make him at the least a productive NBA player.  I think he clearly has star potential.  I am excited to see how this year goes for him.

I bet that it doesn't matter. No one's untradeable, but the fit in Boston is too good, the skill too unignoreable.

I agree.  I think he fits a bigger need than people realize (slashing, back up SF, transition finisher, versatile defender) right off the bat.  He will be able to use his strengths day one and hopefully grows from there.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:50:09 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

I agree.  I think he fits a bigger need than people realize (slashing, back up SF, transition finisher, versatile defender) right off the bat.  He will be able to use his strengths day one and hopefully grows from there.

Yes.

They've set themselves up to bring him along slowly, backing up both wings.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Yes.

Yep.  I have expectations on him but they are really just to do what his strengths are and let the rest come to him over time.  I see him doing really well.  If he was on a terrible team asked to do everything I am not sure how it would go for him.

I hope he can play some small ball PF as well.  Didn't mention that but I have seen potential in it.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

One month.

Goodie.  Cue at least a month of twitter troll rumors about how Boston is keeping the Blake Griffin deal "hush hush" until they can officially trade Jaylen Brown's contract.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Yes.

Yep.  I have expectations on him but they are really just to do what his strengths are and let the rest come to him over time.  I see him doing really well.  If he was on a terrible team asked to do everything I am not sure how it would go for him.

I think it would be ugly. The obvious strategy to neutralize him is to get physical. That won't be so easy if he's a third option off the bench.

I hope he can play some small ball PF as well.  Didn't mention that but I have seen potential in it.

I agree, though they already have Crowder for that, so he won't likely be guarding many 4's early on. To look at that another way, they can play those two together with Brown at 3 and Jae at 4.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

One month.

Goodie.  Cue at least a month of twitter troll rumors about how Boston is keeping the Blake Griffin deal "hush hush" until they can officially trade Jaylen Brown's contract.

Just so hard to see that happening. Mind you, Blake Griffin is a great fit for Boston.  But the Clippers  have not been acting like a team that is tearing it down to start over again – and if Brown is the one that they are insisting on, they would  truly have to be starting over, no?

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 05:17:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I agree, though they already have Crowder for that, so he won't likely be guarding many 4's early on. To look at that another way, they can play those two together with Brown at 3 and Jae at 4.

I think they can play together for sure.  I think there is a possibility that the team runs more small ball and if you can have Crowder, Jerebko, and Brown as options for PF you can play it more and more of any given game.  But yeah we will have to see how he takes to it and how the team plays this year.   

I am interested to see his defense on NBA PFs if it happens (we will see it on some switches at the least sometimes) but one area I like is his rebounding, which was encouraging in SL I thought.  He showed a willingness to work for rebounds and he has an ability to bring down a defensive rebound and take off down the floor himself which I like a lot.

It seems the last two years the team has been at its best playing small ball and tends to in the playoffs and in big games.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:24:34 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 05:48:29 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Watching him in Summer League made me think he could play the 2 as well.  Good enough ball handler, obviously assuming the shooting comes around.  Would be nice to have a guy who could match up with the Klay Thompsons of the NBA.