Author Topic: Jaylen Brown is signed  (Read 14683 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown is signed
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm encouraged by his ball handling. Hes shown the ability to go coast to coast, he's comfortable going left and right, although he prefers right. He has solid foot work going to the basket and doesn't abuse his leaping ability when driving. This is the complete opposite of Jeff Green who I had grown to hate as a basketball player. Jeff Green could only go right, he was only good for about two/three dribbles before he had to pick up the basketball and jump often resulting in charges, had terrible footwork, and lacked any advanced ball handling moves. Even with all of those flaws Green got by in large part due to his physical attributes. This is why I put Jaylen in the low bust potential category, I think his worst case scenario is a something like Jeff Green with slightly worse shooting but much better defense and rebounding.

I have never understood the Jeff Green comparison. Brown and Green couldn't be more different.

Green never, ever had the athletic ability of Brown. Because of his athletic limits there were questions as to his potential position in the NBA. He was thought of a combo forward who would struggle with quicker SFs and have a difficult time posting up against PFs. He struggled getting to the basket off the dribble even in college which is why he averaged only 4.2 free throw attempts per game in his Junior year in college. He was seen as possibly a very good role player who could do multiple things well but could not lead a team. His biggest attributes were his size, long arms, his shooting (36% from 3 for his college career) and his passing (over 3 assists). He was looked as someone who could contribute in multiple ways but would never be great at any one of them. Coming out as a Junior, he was seen as someone who could contribute immediately.

That's almost the exact opposite of Brown. Brown's game is entirely different. He's 3 inches shorter but far, far more athletic. His claim to fame is the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop. He gets to the line (6.4 FA attempts last year) and he's seen only as a SF at this juncture. His weaknesses are his shooting and he's not known for his passing. He's seen as someone who could be a great defender and scorer in the NBA but may be weaker in some areas like rebounding and passing. As a 19 year old Freshman, he's seen as a project who may not contribute immediately.

So can we stop with the Jeff Green comparisons? They simply don't fit whatsoever. You (plural, not singular you) might as well be comparing Yab to Dennis Rodman and Zic to Shaq.
Maybe you've forgotten just how athletic Jeff Green is. He was good for a dozen spectacular dunks every year. Given his size, I might even say he was more ahtletic than Brown is.

But I think Brown is quicker and, most importantly, more coordinated. Everyone always wants to talk about athleticism but Bird was one of the greatest of all time because of his coordination. Pierce and Hakeem Olajuwon were ok athletees but they were extremely coordinated. I see that watching Brown.

You're wrong about Green. Go back and read the scouting reports on him coming out of college. They're quite consistent.

DraftExpress- "In terms of NBA potential, Jeff Green’s game has some limits right now. First of all, he lacks a true position at the next level, and can be most accurately labeled as a combo-forward at this point in time. In terms of creating offense, he struggles going to the basket off the dribble, and lacks the tremendous explosiveness other wing players in this draft have. He has displayed some ability in the post, but this mostly comes against smaller players."

ESPN - "Jeff Green is a throwback player, more concerned with substance over style - he silently kills you in 10 different ways. He's not a great scorer or explosive athlete, but his basketball IQ, his ability to play point forward and leadership counter his lack of dominance at the college level."

Draft Review (weaknesses) - "While improved this year, Green still isn’t very comfortable shooting from the perimeter … Struggles to consistently create for himself off the dribble where his moves remain undeveloped … Has a tendency to force passes that aren’t there leading to turnovers … Will need to continue to expand his comfort level in shooting from mid-range … Needs to develop more of a scorers mentality; at times he doesn’t assert himself on offense … While he possesses a great deal of small forward skills, some may consider him more of a power forward … Would benefit greatly by improving his overall quickness and foot speed. This would aid him greatly on defense and allow him to gain better separation from his defender offensively … Defensively Green has a habit of gambling too much by reaching, leading him to pick up fouls …"

Here's yet another - "While he has above average athleticism for a college player (at one point, Green threw down a dunk in traffic while still rising) Green is not an athletic freak-- Green lacks an explosive first step and wouldn’t beat an NBA small forward off the dribble. Also lacks lateral quickness, which may hurt his ability to defend SF's in the NBA."

And another - Green is a versatile player that should play regular minutes next year for the 76ers. Due to average athleticism, his long-term upside isn't as high as others, but he's a hard worker and a safe pick.

In short, virtually every pre-draft profile says that while Green had a good vertical jump he didn't have great quickness and could not create his own shot. He couldn't in college and he can't in the pros.  Brown is known for his all-around athletic prowess, his quick first step and his quick jump whereas his vertical isn't spectacular. The two players aren't close to comparable from an athletic standpoint.

That's just one reason (of many) that the Brown/Green comparison simply doesn't work.

PS - I had fun going back and reading some of those draft profiles for two reasons. One, I got to see how many different ways people could describe Oden as a "can't miss" prospect. Second, I couldn't find one mock draft that had Jeff Green in the top 5. A few had him at 6th and a couple had him going 11th or 12th that year.
Yeah, we've seen Green play.  He is not a great basketball player but he is super explosive and athletic.  That source is irrelevant now.

You're confusing leaping ability with athleticism.

As I said above Green can jump, there's no doubt about it. But his lateral movement and his first step aren't anything beyond average. He can't put the ball on the floor and blow by people. He can't shake people out of their shoes. He isn't athletic enough to create his own offense.

Jaylen Brown is athletic. Jeff Green can simply jump.
Yeah, I agree with that disctinction. His quickness isn't anywhere near what Brown's is but as a jumper, Green was pretty terrific.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Among other things, the left hand is a lot better than what I saw of his college play,

If you can find a clip of him finishing with his left hand please post it.

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Meh

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Among other things, the left hand is a lot better than what I saw of his college play,

The first play in this highlight and then again at around 34 seconds Brown finishes with his left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muN_Ww5sTDM
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2016, 02:43:27 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

The first play in this highlight and then again at around 34 seconds Brown finishes with his left.

https://youtu.be/Dv95OuqnVk0

Also quite a few in this one.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

https://youtu.be/Dv95OuqnVk0

Also quite a few in this one.

Thanks for posting these, you guys. I'd point out the progress he's made with his left-hand ballhandling as well, which is really what I had in mind originally.

He's got special fine motor skills, and phenomenal hands.

Still saw dribbling into a crowd in Summer League, but I think he's got a great feeling for space and flow.

Above all else: as Brad Stevens said: he's hungry for coaching.

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2016, 10:21:58 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Let's hope Brown is a luckier name than Green (s)
Please explain what you mean here, because at first glance it makes no sense. Are you saying brown. Will have a similar developmental path as green?

What leads you. Say this? Green entered the league with little maturity and next to zero bb iq.

Brown is the mental opposite. Brown is very intelligent. He is highly motivated. He works hard.

What parallels are you drawing?

Is the Green in question Jeff or Gerald?