Author Topic: Doc will allow PP to retire a Celtic if he chooses!  (Read 3060 times)

Doc will allow PP to retire a Celtic if he chooses!
« on: July 28, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/doc_rivers_plans_to_let_paul_p.html

I guess they really have not talked PP/Blake to Boston.   Or I think he would have worded it differently......   That might be a false statement....

But back to Doc and PP.  Whats more interesting besides him possibly retiring is two other things. 

One if KG and Paul Retire.  That is 4 future Hall of Famers going out in the same summer...

And Doc goes more into how KG is the biggest culture change hes seen come into an organization.   
Diggles

Re: Doc will allow PP to retire a Celtic if he chooses!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So let Doc buy him out and then C's sign him. I wouldn't trade for Pierce.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
For anyone who didn't read it... it sounds like what Doc is saying is that if Pierce decides he's going to retire this Summer, they will find a way to get him to Boston so he can retire there.  My symbolic than anything.  Are they suggesting that Pierce would play a single game for Boston before officially ending it... or purely symbolic?

"If Paul decides to retire then we're going to make sure that Boston picks him up for one day and he retires a Celtic because that's what he should retire as,"

Reminds me of when Rick Fox retired as a Celtic.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Why not?

So long as Pierce agrees to file official retirement papers his contract comes off the books.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 04:29:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
For anyone who didn't read it... it sounds like what Doc is saying is that if Pierce decides he's going to retire this Summer, they will find a way to get him to Boston so he can retire there.  My symbolic than anything.  Are they suggesting that Pierce would play a single game for Boston before officially ending it... or purely symbolic?

"If Paul decides to retire then we're going to make sure that Boston picks him up for one day and he retires a Celtic because that's what he should retire as,"

was that a joke or something that actually happened? he was a Laker through and through

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

was that a joke or something that actually happened? he was a Laker through and through
fox retired a Celtic

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 04:47:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

fox retired a Celtic
Yep.  Simple internet search easily answers that question.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/Celtics_Waive_Rick_Fox_To_Faci-118692-25.html
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Doc should be grateful to Danny for getting Austin Rivers over there.  Salvaged his career and he wound up with a big contract so given Doc's history with PP and the Celtics Id hope they would commit to making it happen.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
IMO this kind of comment sound strange and put pressure on PP to retire. Does it make sense? Could the Clippers use the cap from PP's deal to get something significant happen?

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Would be beautiful to see him in green in the Garden for one more game.  Imagine the cheers.

Maybe this is why James Young hasn't been released or traded yet.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

fox retired a Celtic

I love the New Pic Bird.

Hinkie Died for your sins.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Sounds like they'll buy him out, then Pierce will sign a ceremonial one-day contract, and then call it a career. Amare did it a few days ago, actually.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/amare-stoudemire-signs-one-day-contract-with-knicks-retires-from-nba/
- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 05:10:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Why not?

So long as Pierce agrees to file official retirement papers his contract comes off the books.
Because he is practically done and that contract isn't cheap. Clippers should pray he retires or at least try to buy him out. But they probably  want assurances he isn't going to a Warriors.

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I love the New Pic Bird.

Hinkie Died for your sins.

TP
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford