Author Topic: NBA Players vote to fund health care for retired players  (Read 2411 times)

NBA Players vote to fund health care for retired players
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17159276/national-basketball-players-association-fund-health-insurance-ex-players

Out of the blue, this came across the wire.  Great action by the current players.  Will go for all retired players with at least 3 years experience. 

This is the first US pro league to do something like this.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: NBA Players vote to fund health care for retired players
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:16:45 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17159276/national-basketball-players-association-fund-health-insurance-ex-players

Out of the blue, this came across the wire.  Great action by the current players.  Will go for all retired players with at least 3 years experience. 

Wow, this is a great move.  I wonder if the NFL will follow suit at some point, given all of the concussion issues
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This is a good look! This should help a lot of people.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
 I'm surprised it took this long. There's no reason that the union shouldn't take care of its members, and I hope the other sports follow suit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great move.  A lot of times modern players' organizations don't do enough to look out for the ex-players who blazed the trail and made those massive salaries possible.  Classy decision by the union.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:23:09 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Probably means there's an opening for a crossing guard position somewhere in Silver Spring, Maryland.

http://deadspin.com/why-is-one-of-the-nbas-all-time-greatest-scorers-worki-453840265

Day after day, Adrian Dantley hangs out on a street corner in his hometown, like some cliché of a pitiful ex-ballplayer years after his athletic prime. But Dantley's neither a cliché, nor is he pitiful. He's a crossing guard.

The greatest 6-foot-5 post player in the history of the NBA now pulls morning and afternoon shifts at a busy intersection outside Eastern Middle School in Silver Spring, Md. The job, which he took at the beginning of this school year, earns him $14,685.50 a year, according to Montgomery County civil service records.

"He doesn't need the money," a Dantley associate tells me. The guard-forward was legendarily cheap during his long and fruitful NBA career, and he still lives nearby in a home he purchased in 1990 for $1.1 million, one that a former agent said "was virtually free and clear" of debt back in 1996.

"He's not going to just sit around," the associate continues, "and he just doesn't want to pay health insurance." Turns out that NBA veterans aren't provided health insurance by the league, not even all-timers like Dantley. Crossing guards in Montgomery County, however, are.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Probably means there's an opening for a crossing guard position somewhere in Silver Spring, Maryland.

http://deadspin.com/why-is-one-of-the-nbas-all-time-greatest-scorers-worki-453840265

Day after day, Adrian Dantley hangs out on a street corner in his hometown, like some cliché of a pitiful ex-ballplayer years after his athletic prime. But Dantley's neither a cliché, nor is he pitiful. He's a crossing guard.

The greatest 6-foot-5 post player in the history of the NBA now pulls morning and afternoon shifts at a busy intersection outside Eastern Middle School in Silver Spring, Md. The job, which he took at the beginning of this school year, earns him $14,685.50 a year, according to Montgomery County civil service records.

"He doesn't need the money," a Dantley associate tells me. The guard-forward was legendarily cheap during his long and fruitful NBA career, and he still lives nearby in a home he purchased in 1990 for $1.1 million, one that a former agent said "was virtually free and clear" of debt back in 1996.

"He's not going to just sit around," the associate continues, "and he just doesn't want to pay health insurance." Turns out that NBA veterans aren't provided health insurance by the league, not even all-timers like Dantley. Crossing guards in Montgomery County, however, are.

That middle school is only a 35-minute walk from me.  Looks like I have a backup plan!

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Wow, this is a great move.  I wonder if the NFL will follow suit at some point, given all of the concussion issues

The NFL...doing the right thing? That's rich.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

It's not the NBA (owners), it's the NBAPA (players).  It's coming out of their 49%-51% revenue split of BRI.

It won't be the NFL (owners), but you got to think the NFLPA (players) might step up.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

It's not the NBA (owners), it's the NBAPA (players).  It's coming out of their 49%-51% revenue split of BRI.

It won't be the NFL (owners), but you got to think the NFLPA (players) might step up.

It will be more difficult for NFL players.  There are as many players in training camp in five teams as there are roster spots in the NBA.  NFL players get paid less on average, which probably means union dues form a higher percentage of their paycheck.  Careers are shorter, which means players a) make less money, and b) would be insured for a longer period of time.  Finally, NFL players are much more likely to experience health problems, so the insurance would be considerably more expensive.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It will be more difficult for NFL players.  There are as many players in training camp in five teams as there are roster spots in the NBA.  NFL players get paid less on average, which probably means union dues form a higher percentage of their paycheck.  Careers are shorter, which means players a) make less money, and b) would be insured for a longer period of time.  Finally, NFL players are much more likely to experience health problems, so the insurance would be considerably more expensive.

Given that the NBA plan has a 3 years-of-service minimum, I think something similar for football would help to cut down on the number of people it affects.  And I'd view the  more expensive health issues and lower salaries for most players as a reason more than a deterrent.  The Tom Brady's of the league don't need the health insurance, but the guys who barely play (or are decent but have careers shortened by injuries) could benefit a lot in the long term

I don't know that the NFLPA will do it, but I think there'd be a lot of support for it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Given that the NBA plan has a 3 years-of-service minimum, I think something similar for football would help to cut down on the number of people it affects.  And I'd view the  more expensive health issues and lower salaries for most players as a reason more than a deterrent.  The Tom Brady's of the league don't need the health insurance, but the guys who barely play (or are decent but have careers shortened by injuries) could benefit a lot in the long term

I don't know that the NFLPA will do it, but I think there'd be a lot of support for it

I think it'd have to be no more than two years.  The average career length is down to 2.66 years according to the most recent data -- you make it a minimum of three years, and a majority of players voting won't qualify.  That's going to have a tough time passing.  I mean, there could be something, but it won't be as comprehensive as the NBPA plan.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

this seems to be a bit of a red herring to me.

exactly how much do you think current nfl players would have to pay each for such a program? i doubt it is going to be a large percentage of anyone's salary.

besides, they are also investing in their own futures since the current players would receive this benefit eventually.

it makes sense on many levels.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 03:59:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Nice to see.  Cool as a way for current players to pay back how much success has built up over the years to result in the NBA being in top shape today.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

this seems to be a bit of a red herring to me.

exactly how much do you think current nfl players would have to pay each for such a program? i doubt it is going to be a large percentage of anyone's salary.

besides, they are also investing in their own futures since the current players would receive this benefit eventually.

it makes sense on many levels.

I think it could cost upwards of $100 million a year to do what the NBPA is doing.  There are approx. 12,000 living former players.  Suppose 2/3 would be covered, that's 8,000 players.  It sounds like the NBPA is giving out top-of-the-line insurance.  Given the risk pool that NFL players could collectively be in, $10,000 per covered player isn't unreasonable.  Furthermore, the NBPA plan covers family members for players with a certain amount of service time, so the amount of covered individuals would rise further.  So yeah, $100 million per year.  That's probably $55-60k per active player.  That'd be over 10% of pre-tax salary for a LOT of players.

I don't see the NFLPA replicating this any time soon.  Maybe something smaller scale, like a subsidy for uninsured former players to purchase insurance on the marketplace.  But with all the health issues NFL players go through in retirement, it would be very expensive to cover them as a group.