Author Topic: Is Nikola Vucevic a trade option  (Read 4671 times)

Re: Is Nikola Vucevic a trade option
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 09:59:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think that trading Vucevic without getting a legitimate big man would leave the Magic with a lack of depth in the frontcourt.  Most teams prefer having multiple quality centers.  Vucevic is not a player they are just going to discard because they signed Biyombo and drafted Zimmerman.  Someone like Vucevic may become available if Zimmerman demonstrates that he is at least a quality backup with starter potential.

They like Gordon as a 4 and have Ibaka as well. If anything, trading away Vucevic will open up some playing time for Gordon as a 4 and Biyombo.
Yes, they liked Gordon so much at the 4 that they went out and added two players to take his minutes there.

Judging by their roster, Gordon is slated to play the 3. Vucevic isn't becoming available -- I wouldn't hang my hat on him being outplayed by a dude that's too injured to lift weights (that'd be Zimmerman).

I just can't see Gordon succeeding at the 3 spot. I think he's much more of a 4 than a 3, because outside of transition I'm not sure how he can score at the 3 spot. He at least has a quickness advantage against most 4's that won't necessarily be there against most 3's, not to mention that he's not necessarily a threat from outside to spread the floor either.

Re: Is Nikola Vucevic a trade option
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 10:09:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think that trading Vucevic without getting a legitimate big man would leave the Magic with a lack of depth in the frontcourt.  Most teams prefer having multiple quality centers.  Vucevic is not a player they are just going to discard because they signed Biyombo and drafted Zimmerman.  Someone like Vucevic may become available if Zimmerman demonstrates that he is at least a quality backup with starter potential.

They like Gordon as a 4 and have Ibaka as well. If anything, trading away Vucevic will open up some playing time for Gordon as a 4 and Biyombo.
Yes, they liked Gordon so much at the 4 that they went out and added two players to take his minutes there.

Yeah, actually they do and it's because that's his best position to excel. He'll be a SF out of necessity.

Lowe:
"If Serge Ibaka weren't here, Aaron Gordon would be my power forward," Vogel said. "But Serge is here. Aaron is going to be playing [small forward].

There are people within the team who think that by midseason, it will be clear Orlando's best lineups feature Gordon at power forward and Ibaka at center -- sort of a problem given the $30 million per year invested in Vucevic and Biyombo.

Meanwhile, groups lumping Gordon alongside two traditional bigs and Elfrid Payton, perhaps an even worse shooter than Gordon, could barf up bricks as defenses strangle the lane. With the rim walled off, the Magic have settled for a ton of midrangers and struggled to earn foul shots.