Author Topic: Durant and Team USA acting like jerks so far , coach K upset with them  (Read 14305 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I mean you don't exactly see the Chinese Gymnasts or Divers showing up the inferior US competition at the Olympics when we face them.

Your rotations were a joke and yo dismount was loose son. You had so much splash on that dive I thought yo momma was on the board.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I mean you don't exactly see the Chinese Gymnasts or Divers showing up the inferior US competition at the Olympics when we face them.

Your rotations were a joke and yo dismount was loose son. You had so much splash on that dive I thought yo momma was on the board.

Good point! TP
- LilRip

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

individual sports are far different than team sports.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

this is the best thing ever

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Respect for competitors and grace in victory are not exclusive to a certain type of sport, or even sports at all.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
There really isn't a reasonable counter argument to be made here. Kind of surprising people are trying to make one. No matter what sport you are playing, individual or team, if you are already winning be a gracious winner and show good sportsmanship. You can be excited as all heck at the end when you win, but in the middle of the game showboating and running up the score is poor form. There is a reason baseball teams stop stealing bases up 10 runs, football teams put in their backups up 4 touchdowns and bball teams clear the bench. You add in the fact these NBA players making many millions of dollars, have access to better coaches, training and other resources and are expected to dominate and it makes the celebrations and score running even worse. Finally, as much as we hate to admit it, kids look up these guys all around the world. We don't need to see them being taught that taunting your opponent no matter their skill level is great and cool.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Respect for competitors and grace in victory are not exclusive to a certain type of sport, or even sports at all.
Sure, but it is a lot different when you share the playing surface with your competitor, where you touch your competitor, etc.  Gymnasts aren't fighting for the equipment, divers aren't sharing the board/platform, etc.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
There really isn't a reasonable counter argument to be made here. Kind of surprising people are trying to make one. No matter what sport you are playing, individual or team, if you are already winning be a gracious winner and show good sportsmanship. You can be excited as all heck at the end when you win, but in the middle of the game showboating and running up the score is poor form. There is a reason baseball teams stop stealing bases up 10 runs, football teams put in their backups up 4 touchdowns and bball teams clear the bench. You add in the fact these NBA players making many millions of dollars, have access to better coaches, training and other resources and are expected to dominate and it makes the celebrations and score running even worse. Finally, as much as we hate to admit it, kids look up these guys all around the world. We don't need to see them being taught that taunting your opponent no matter their skill level is great and cool.
Is it really sportsmanship or is there other reasons back-ups are put in?  I mean one could easily argue that the fear of injury or the desire to get back-ups experience is the real reason.

Respect should always be shown, but is celebrating a great a shot by your teammate really a lack of respect to the opponent?  I think there is a line, and I'm not sure the US crossed that line here.

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I hope the Warriors don't become too much like the Heat of start of the Big 3 era.

I think they're worse. The Heat didn't have anybody as dirty as Green.

I don't know, we haven't seen Green dislocate someone's elbow or break someone's nose in an All-Star Game (yet),

or concuss Paul George with his knee and foot (jumping over him) in the 2nd half of a critical Playoff game, or knock Isaiah Thomas down so hard on the court, when he was in the air laying up the ball, that it took him 3 weeks to recover. Green hasn't injured anyone.

so I'd give the edge to Wade for now

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It's not a big deal...  geeez

I thought KD was pointing a finger at the opponents and laughing while up 30

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Is it really sportsmanship or is there other reasons back-ups are put in?  I mean one could easily argue that the fear of injury or the desire to get back-ups experience is the real reason.

Respect should always be shown, but is celebrating a great a shot by your teammate really a lack of respect to the opponent?  I think there is a line, and I'm not sure the US crossed that line here.

I know you have watched enough sports to know there are many many ways that teams show sportsmanship across all sports. If we want to look at basketball, is there some small element of injury risk that is part of the bench players coming in? Sure, however, that is clearly just a portion of it. Teams aren't bringing in an end of bench player like a 38 nazr muhammad to either get him experience or because it is ok if he gets injured. Sure more end of bench players are young, but getting them experience in garbage time is hardly any more valuable than going against the starters in practice. It is also partly because having Lebron go in for a dunk when the team is already up 20 with 3 minutes left is not showing an opponent respect or being a good sport.

In this case the team USA was up 50 points and 3 seconds into the shot clock Klay Thompson launched a 3 and guys on the bench went nuts celebrating. If you think that doesn't cross a line, we can just agree to disagree, but know that you are in the small minority of people that view it that way. Coach K and many other coaches and former players would agree that is not playing the game with good sportsmanship or respect and there is no reason to act like this.

I will also add since you brought up injury risk, one of the greatest injury risks is taunting your opponent in a blowout. If you are already upset about getting crushed in a game and the other team starts adding injury to insults by showboating and celebrating it gets into pretty dangerous territory. I have seen a lot of games devolve into verbal altercations or shoving matches when this kind of stuff happens. Again Klay should know better and coach K does.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I know you have watched enough sports to know there are many many ways that teams show sportsmanship across all sports. If we want to look at basketball, is there some small element of injury risk that is part of the bench players coming in? Sure, however, that is clearly just a portion of it. Teams aren't bringing in an end of bench player like a 38 nazr muhammad to either get him experience or because it is ok if he gets injured. Sure more end of bench players are young, but getting them experience in garbage time is hardly any more valuable than going against the starters in practice. It is also partly because having Lebron go in for a dunk when the team is already up 20 with 3 minutes left is not showing an opponent respect or being a good sport.

In this case the team USA was up 50 points and 3 seconds into the shot clock Klay Thompson launched a 3 and guys on the bench went nuts celebrating. If you think that doesn't cross a line, we can just agree to disagree, but know that you are in the small minority of people that view it that way. Coach K and many other coaches and former players would agree that is not playing the game with good sportsmanship or respect and there is no reason to act like this.

I will also add since you brought up injury risk, one of the greatest injury risks is taunting your opponent in a blowout. If you are already upset about getting crushed in a game and the other team starts adding injury to insults by showboating and celebrating it gets into pretty dangerous territory. I have seen a lot of games devolve into verbal altercations or shoving matches when this kind of stuff happens. Again Klay should know better and coach K does.
They weren't taunting though.  Klay made a long shot during the normal course of play.  He didn't get in the Chinese players faces, he didn't even trash talk, he simply made a long shot, which his teammates celebrated.  And Coach K, didn't go off on a rampage.  He said his team was having a bit too much fun and wanted them to tone it down a bit (you know because if you are too loose and having too much fun it might actually cost you in a close game).  That isn't him going off on some tirade about a lack of respect or anything.  The U.S. didn't cross a line there.  None at all. 

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

They weren't taunting though.  Klay made a long shot during the normal course of play.  He didn't get in the Chinese players faces, he didn't even trash talk, he simply made a long shot, which his teammates celebrated.  And Coach K, didn't go off on a rampage.  He said his team was having a bit too much fun and wanted them to tone it down a bit (you know because if you are too loose and having too much fun it might actually cost you in a close game).  That isn't him going off on some tirade about a lack of respect or anything.  The U.S. didn't cross a line there.  None at all.

I am not sure if you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Team USA was up by 48 points. There was 1:29 left in the game. Any team at any level showing good sportsmanship dribbles around for about 20 seconds and shoots a jumpshot. If you watched any NBA game (and there are plenty where the warriors were up 25-35 points last year) this is what happens every single game. If Brandon Rush or Speights did this exact same thing last year in one of those games (pull up 3, 20 seconds on shot clock up 48 points) Kerr would have yelled at them and possibly pulled them from the game. Yes it crosses a line. Then you have 3 players get up and celebrate including Deandre Jordan who Coach K angrily tells to sit down and not get on to the playing court (meanwhile Durant actually claps and walks on to the playing court, but his part was less egregious) . There are multiple lines that were crossed here. If you don't want to acknowledge them we can agree to disagree and I have lost a bit of respect for your knowledge of basketball and sportsmanship along the way.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I hope the Warriors don't become too much like the Heat of start of the Big 3 era.

I think they're worse. The Heat didn't have anybody as dirty as Green.

I don't know, we haven't seen Green dislocate someone's elbow or break someone's nose in an All-Star Game (yet),

or concuss Paul George with his knee and foot (jumping over him) in the 2nd half of a critical Playoff game, or knock Isaiah Thomas down so hard on the court, when he was in the air laying up the ball, that it took him 3 weeks to recover. Green hasn't injured anyone.

so I'd give the edge to Wade for now
I meant more in terms of the celebrating and acting like the whole season is a big allstar game.  Green is more of an instigator and has a bigger mouth, but I think Wade was much dirtier.
Plus Green is the classic jerk/competitor in the KG mold and he doesn't really seem to act like he's not.  Wade was so dirty but acted completely phony like he's the most upstanding citizen in the league.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 02:07:16 PM by moiso »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I am not sure if you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Team USA was up by 48 points. There was 1:29 left in the game. Any team at any level showing good sportsmanship dribbles around for about 20 seconds and shoots a jumpshot. If you watched any NBA game (and there are plenty where the warriors were up 25-35 points last year) this is what happens every single game. If Brandon Rush or Speights did this exact same thing last year in one of those games (pull up 3, 20 seconds on shot clock up 48 points) Kerr would have yelled at them and possibly pulled them from the game. Yes it crosses a line. Then you have 3 players get up and celebrate including Deandre Jordan who Coach K angrily tells to sit down and not get on to the playing court (meanwhile Durant actually claps and walks on to the playing court, but his part was less egregious) . There are multiple lines that were crossed here. If you don't want to acknowledge them we can agree to disagree and I have lost a bit of respect for your knowledge of basketball and sportsmanship along the way.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/08/04/be-a-good-sport-a-guide-to-sportmanship/