Author Topic: marcus smart team select  (Read 5124 times)

Re: marcus smart team select
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 05:34:32 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The weight could just be the camera lens. My friend retweeted this last night and it was really eye-opening:

https://twitter.com/jimzub/status/758000632624214016

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think Rollie is the best poster on this board because he has a vast well of experience as a player. He seems to understand that player evaluations are not black and white and can change.

I don't think Rollie suffers from wearing green goggles. In another thread he is asking what's up with Mickey, as in, is there missing info which may explain the player's slow progress, whether due to injuries or his skill set and tweener body.

I am extremely excited to see what Olynyk and Smart can bring to the court this year. They are either going to join the others like Isaiah, Bradley, Crowder and Horford, players we don't worry about, or they are going to leave us wondering if they are Sullinger's, guys who coulda shoulda but didn't.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Looks exactly the same pre and post injury.    No explosion or elevation.    He zig zagged around a pnr.   Never seen that before.    Bricked some 3's.    As usual he tried and bricked a pull up Steph Curry 3.    Not much has changed.

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »

Offline cornbread1981

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
oh did you watch the whole practice ok idiot

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Passing improved but his shot is still eh.  He is right now much change. He still got some time.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 11:49:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Expectations have always seemed overly, and maybe unfairly, high for Smart. He is offensively inept and probably always will be. So be it. Blame it on injuries all you want, but he's playing the exact same brand of bball as in college, he's just not as physically imposing at this level now.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 11:54:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Smart has for sure improved his passing, and his bounce passes seem far more crisp. The thing is he doesn't need to have a great handle... Just good enough to help him navigate around picks, and set up running big men. I mean honestly, people are extremely critical of him. Its a practice, but he's already nailing tough passes most point guards probably wouldn't make on the bounce. His defense is still as good as advertised, and while his shot doesn't look that much different, he's gaining a multitude of knowledge and basketball credibility being around the best players in the NBA.

I really don't want to let go of Smart. I know its crazy, but I would keep Smart over IT, only because I believe he will become an superstar/Allstar defender like Tony Allen, Billups, or a guard version of Draymond Green.

Expectations have always seemed overly, and maybe unfairly, high for Smart. He is offensively inept and probably always will be. So be it. Blame it on injuries all you want, but he's playing the exact same brand of bball as in college, he's just not as physically imposing at this level now.

If Smart can dish out 10 PPG, 4-5 RPG, 4-6 APG, with All First Team Defense/Second Team, I am perfectly content with those numbers, and I think they are indicative of him becoming a potential two way player.

Two way players can dominate on other skill-sets on offense, be it passing, offensive rebounding, drawing fouls, posting up, etc. Smart can pass, take advantage of smaller defenders, rebound offensively and defensively, and take the charges most players wouldn't do.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 12:15:06 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If Smart can dish out 10 PPG, 4-5 RPG, 4-6 APG, with All First Team Defense/Second Team, I am perfectly content with those numbers, and I think they are indicative of him becoming a potential two way player.

Two way players can dominate on other skill-sets on offense, be it passing, offensive rebounding, drawing fouls, posting up, etc. Smart can pass, take advantage of smaller defenders, rebound offensively and defensively, and take the charges most players wouldn't do.

Yeah, I'm with you there -- I think he is valuable and can become even more so. I'm also disappointed by my (admittedly) perceived lack of effort, on the coaching staff's part, to support his development. He has shown that he can make plays out of the post against PGs, for example, but you rarely see it in games. Hard to believe he isn't athletic enough to develop moves around the rim / in transition (e.g., eurostep) to find more success offensively. Maybe I'm being overly critical there, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Someone previously nailed it with the Eric Snow comparison.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 01:56:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Someone previously nailed it with the Eric Snow comparison.

Smart is definitely going to at least be better than Snow, because he's younger and putting up closer numbers, 20.8% from 3 point line is bad, even for Marcus Smart's standards.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 02:23:21 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I'm very excited to see Smart next year in an expanded role. I'm liking the passing, but hopefully he's improved on his shot as well. He doesn't need to be a knockdown shooter, but being a passable threat to score inside or outside will be enough.
- LilRip