Author Topic: is mickey missing something  (Read 7223 times)

is mickey missing something
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:43:12 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
he is an accomplished shot blocker that has torn up d league but never got any time with celtics -what are his shortcomings that held him back
mickey didn't have a good summer league,not bad just not good was it his injury or game conditioning
jackson is another shortish guard,wouldn't the celts be better off grooming a 6-4/5 guard in d league
nader has not been rewarded for his summer league
james on that breakaway couldn't outrun and just ploughed into defender-why do people call him athletic i haven't seen it
jackson has a nice crossover is shifty and has nice change of pace rozier seems to have slower wider crossover maybe its his long arms,
is roziers burst  different than quick first step,does burst apply to off the dribble
bring isaiah SR in to mentor our guards,gotta make the ball sing-bab bab gone
he did a great session with jaylen isaiah still a showman

Re: is mickey missing something
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:01:27 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm told by multiple sauces...

Ok apparently in the few minutes he got last season Mickey wasn't quite strong enough to hang with the big 4s and 5s.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:31:11 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Yeah I think Mickey needs to bulk up more if he's going to play against bigs
He seems to get pushed around a bit when in the post

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:43:41 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

He's just not good. I've written him off completely.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:29:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He's a center in a small forward's body.  These days, skinny 6'9" guys are SFs.  Also haven't seen any evidence that he can hit a mid-range jumpshot.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
He's a center in a small forward's body.  These days, skinny 6'9" guys are SFs.  Also haven't seen any evidence that he can hit a mid-range jumpshot.
Yes, in. SL I saw him hit some mid range jumpers. Yes, SL.  :)

from what I see, it seems less a physical problem than mental. He doesn't seem to really understand defensive schemes or responsibilities. Sometimes he reminded me of Leon. Powe, good. Physical ability married to limited bb IQ.

But given time he can learn to be a good rotation player. I think.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:25:33 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
To me size was the issue for Mickey in summer league--I saw a couple of quality blocked shots but he could not rebound or defend against the guys with real size like Portis and some others.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 09:46:53 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He's missing a lot. I only see two skills that are NBA level, shot blocking and PNR D. Everything else is really below average.

Everyone knows he's badly undersized, but I'll add a few more things.

Soft...He looks a little soft to me. Doesn't seem to have much fight in him. You don't see much tenaciousness out of him. He's a very finesse player.

Athletic ability...He is supposed to be a very good athletic player, but I just don't see it. Can anyone recall when he's looked explosive and attacked the rim instead of throwing up soft runners (the latter part also speaks to his finesse style). Again, he should be a rim runner, soaring for rebounds type, but I haven't seen any of it, save for some of the shotblocking.

Motor...He doesn't really give multiple effort. At his size you need to have a Portis or Faried type of motor in order to offset that size disparity. Again, I just don't see it. A very passive unassuming player.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:55:41 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
He's missing a lot. I only see two skills that are NBA level, shot blocking and PNR D. Everything else is really below average.

Soft...He looks a little soft to me. Doesn't seem to have much fight in him. You don't see much tenaciousness out of him. He's a very finesse player.

Athletic ability...He is supposed to be a very good athletic player, but I just don't see it. Can anyone recall when he's looked explosive and attacked the rim instead of throwing up soft runners (the latter part also speaks to his finesse style). Again, he should be a rim runner, soaring for rebounds type, but I haven't seen any of it, save for some of the shotblocking.

Motor...He doesn't really give multiple effort. At his size you need to have a Portis or Faried type of motor in order to offset that size disparity. Again, I just don't see it. A very passive unassuming player.

I would agree with most of this but would add that he earned his contract a year ago by being aggressive, physical and  playing with a chip on his shoulder --he looked overwhemed and frustrated this year --maybe he was more injured than we were told.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

I would agree with most of this but would add that he earned his contract a year ago by being aggressive, physical and  playing with a chip on his shoulder --he looked overwhemed and frustrated this year --maybe he was more injured than we were told.

Last year was his Rookie year right? Not sure how he could have shown us anything being that he never got real NBA minutes... I think the potential was/is there and We desperately needed a rim protector. But he is a 2nd rounder and we knew he was going to need plenty of work.. If 1st rounders need a year or so then I think a 2nd rounder may need 2.

with that said I think/hope the shoulder injury he suffered before SL is what "Slowed" him down.. He definitely did not seem like the guy they were raving about in the Dleague.   

He does seem to slight of Build though.. Lacked aggression  - and I agree with him being very mild mannered..  Being a polite undersized big man in the league will not put NBA food on your table.

But again i am hoping that the injury set him back.. maybe he was protecting himself.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

Last year was his Rookie year right? Not sure how he could have shown us anything being that he never got real NBA minutes... I think the potential was/is there and We desperately needed a rim protector. But he is a 2nd rounder and we knew he was going to need plenty of work.. If 1st rounders need a year or so then I think a 2nd rounder may need 2.

with that said I think/hope the shoulder injury he suffered before SL is what "Slowed" him down.. He definitely did not seem like the guy they were raving about in the Dleague.   

He does seem to slight of Build though.. Lacked aggression  - and I agree with him being very mild mannered..  Being a polite undersized big man in the league will not put NBA food on your table.

But again i am hoping that the injury set him back.. maybe he was protecting himself.

I should have been clearer by last year I meant in Summer league last year.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Yes, the basket, for any shot that isn't within three feet.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
You guys are making WAY too much out of a couple summer league games in which he was coming off an injury. SL games are chaotic to begin with; losing that first week or so and being expected to have synergy on defense with your rookie teammates is  unrealistic.

I watched him a ton in Maine last year - this year's SL was by far the worst he has played, he did  indeed look passive, I'm guessing it was the injury.

He is a smarter and tougher player than what he showed. And his jumpshot is smooth. And he can hit 3's.

BTW there was a big logjam at PF/C last year - JJ and Zeller could barely get minutes - the C's subsequently decided to give Mickey minutes in Maine, there wouldn't have been nearly enough for him in the NBA even if he surpassed JJ/Zeller etc on the depth chart.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
He is not good

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Height, physical development, inability to switch on guards in space or handle bigs in the post, anything resembling an offensive game, etc. Pretty much everything.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC