Author Topic: J Stewart says Doc Rivers has backed out of Griffin deal, gives details of trade  (Read 16882 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Griffin+Westbrook or Cousins+Westbrook.  Then we can book our tickets to the Finals!  LOL, that would be a dream come true!
thats a separate discussion entirely but even if this fantasy was true, that team would just be a little better than the clippers at best.

Great logic!

15-16

Cs 48 wins
Clippers 53 wins
The rumor is probably false, but for the sake of argument let's pretend it's not.

We would be replacing Bradley, Olynyk, Turner, Sullinger, Zeller (he would be sent to Sacramento for salary matching pruposes) and Rozier with Horford, Griffin, Pierce, Brown, Jackson and Green I think we are clearly better.

If Griffin was healthy the roster would be worthy of 55-60 wins, imo
Yeah, you get it.  The rumor is fake, but assuming we actually could land those guys, it would come at a considerable expense.  You can assume that getting Griffin and Westbrook would cost you Bradley, Crowder, Smart, brooklyn picks and probably several other pieces... probably Thomas as well.  Amir, etc.

Anyways... Blake + Westbrook + Horford would be a really good team, but I wouldn't see it as dramatically better than Blake + Paul + Jordan + Redick.

But that's partially because I strongly believe Westbrook is one of the most overrated players in the league.  He's an inefficient ball-dominating guard who is fun to watch, but I'm not sure he makes as positive an impact on his team as Chris Paul does. 

I'd still see that team getting crushed by Golden State in the final and I'm not sure they'd be a lock to knock out LeBron... but maybe that's just the 76ers fan in me speaking.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
You'd think if one of the biggest names in the league had come close to being traded, it would be a far bigger story

We get it. You're skeptical of the whole rumor. You've made your point clear.
Someone made it up based on what Bill Simmons said in his podcast months ago.  Simmons kept saying Griffin was a sleeper trade candidate after his incident.   But unless Griffin is hinting to the Clippers he's leaving next Summer, there's basically no reason to believe he's being traded.  Reportedly, he's not available.  The price would be extremely high.  They brought him with their KD recruiting party.

The rumors were more extensive than that.  Supposedly, Griffin was no longer viewed as untouchable and the Clippers were at least listening to offers, even if a deal was unlikely.  There were rumors of talks at the deadline with Denver and Orlando.  I am inclined to believe there was some discussion but no serious negotiations.
Yeah i get it.  Lowe wrote an article about this all the way back in January:  http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14669764/blake-griffin-tenure-los-angeles-become-questions-hour

That's was the seed that caused all these fake rumors months later during the dregs of Summer boredom.   And it's possible they do eventually trade Blake, but it would have to be because Blake is telling them he's leaving.  And if that was happening right now, the story wouldn't be stuck on the C-level forums, obscure blogs and twitter troll feeds.  Someone legitimate would be writing about it.   There's no way there's been a full month of Boston having heated discussions about acquiring Blake Griffin and nobody respectable is writing about it.   That makes no sense.  This kind of stuff is the foundation for their careers.  How could they possibly let a story about one of the most popular players in the league on the verge of being traded slip through the cracks?  It just doesn't add up at all.   Instead you have all of these guys (some of which were the first people to speculate about a Griffin trade months ago) coming out to say there's no truth to these rumors and someone is making them up.   

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Griffin+Westbrook or Cousins+Westbrook.  Then we can book our tickets to the Finals!  LOL, that would be a dream come true!
thats a separate discussion entirely but even if this fantasy was true, that team would just be a little better than the clippers at best.

Great logic!

15-16

Cs 48 wins
Clippers 53 wins
The rumor is probably false, but for the sake of argument let's pretend it's not.

We would be replacing Bradley, Olynyk, Turner, Sullinger, Zeller (he would be sent to Sacramento for salary matching pruposes) and Rozier with Horford, Griffin, Pierce, Brown, Jackson and Green I think we are clearly better.

Yeah, you get it.  The rumor is fake, but assuming we actually could land those guys, it would come at a considerable expense.  You can assume that getting Griffin and Westbrook would cost you Bradley, Crowder, Smart, brooklyn picks and probably several other pieces... probably Thomas as well.  Amir, etc.

Anyways... Blake + Westbrook + Horford would be a really good team, but I wouldn't see it as dramatically better than Blake + Paul + Jordan + Redick.

But that's partially because I strongly believe Westbrook is one of the most overrated players in the league.  He's an inefficient ball-dominating guard who is fun to watch, but I'm not sure he makes as positive an impact on his team as Chris Paul does. 

I'd still see that team getting crushed by Golden State in the final and I'm not sure they'd be a lock to knock out LeBron... but maybe that's just the 76ers fan in me speaking.

At least you're starting to own up to what's been painfully obvious for so very long. TP for the confession.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You'd think if one of the biggest names in the league had come close to being traded, it would be a far bigger story

We get it. You're skeptical of the whole rumor. You've made your point clear.
Someone made it up based on what Bill Simmons said in his podcast months ago.  Simmons kept saying Griffin was a sleeper trade candidate after his incident.   But unless Griffin is hinting to the Clippers he's leaving next Summer, there's basically no reason to believe he's being traded.  Reportedly, he's not available.  The price would be extremely high.  They brought him with their KD recruiting party.

The rumors were more extensive than that.  Supposedly, Griffin was no longer viewed as untouchable and the Clippers were at least listening to offers, even if a deal was unlikely.  There were rumors of talks at the deadline with Denver and Orlando.  I am inclined to believe there was some discussion but no serious negotiations.
Yeah i get it.  Lowe wrote an article about this all the way back in January:  http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14669764/blake-griffin-tenure-los-angeles-become-questions-hour

That's was the seed that caused all these fake rumors months later during the dregs of Summer boredom.   And it's possible they do eventually trade Blake, but it would have to be because Blake is telling them he's leaving.  And if that was happening right now, the story wouldn't be stuck on the C-level forums, obscure blogs and twitter troll feeds.  Someone legitimate would be writing about it.   There's no way there's been a full month of Boston having heated discussions about acquiring Blake Griffin and nobody respectable is writing about it.   That makes no sense.  This kind of stuff is the foundation for their careers.  How could they possibly let a story about one of the most popular players in the league on the verge of being traded slip through the cracks?  It just doesn't add up at all.   Instead you have all of these guys (some of which were the first people to speculate about a Griffin trade months ago) coming out to say there's no truth to these rumors and someone is making them up.

Actually, Ainge is known to be tight-lipped, to the consternation of some ball journalists such as Woj.  A lot of the more credible reporters usually don't talk about trades unless they are close to final or talks have long since been abandoned.

There's a wide gap between fake rumors and heated discussions.  I firmly feel that there have been persistent non-heated discussions, that the Clippers have been asking for Crowder to be on the table for any serious negotiations, and Ainge looking to send picks and young players to a third team for an alternative to giving up Crowder.  Will Ainge cave or will he find a third team to bring into an acceptable trade?  Discussions probably won't be heated until one of those occurs. 

The proposed deal is plausible as a basis for negotiation, given what we know about the biases of Ainge and Rivers.  I think Doc really does want a smallball/stretch four and will consider giving up Griffin for a potential star who fits that role.  It makes a lot more sense than Chris Broussard claiming the Clippers offered Griffin and Stephenson for Gallinari, Faried, Jokic, and Barton around the trade deadline.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Great logic!

15-16

Cs 48 wins
Clippers 53 wins

I think a Griffin trade is unlikely, adding both Blake and Westbrook is probably about as likely as winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning.

Specifically with the trade mentioned by the OP, I think the C's could win 55-60 games.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Great logic!

15-16

Cs 48 wins
Clippers 53 wins

I think a Griffin trade is unlikely, adding both Blake and Westbrook is probably about as likely as winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning.

Specifically with the trade mentioned by the OP, I think the C's could win 55-60 games.
Interesting.  Checked a Clippers forum.  Most brushed it off, but the one guy who tried his best to take it seriously suggested a 4-team deal that would have Boston giving up Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley, Amir Johnson, Marcus Smart, 2018 Brooklyn pick and the 2019 Clippers pick to take back Blake Griffin.    Presumably, such a deal would only make sense mid-season if the Clippers get wind that Blake isn't staying.   

At that point, what would our offer be for Westbrook?   2017 Brooklyn pick, Thomas, Jaylen Brown, etc?

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Interesting.  Checked a Clippers forum.  Most brushed it off, but the one guy who tried his best to take it seriously suggested a 4-team deal that would have Boston giving up Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley, Amir Johnson, Marcus Smart, 2018 Brooklyn pick and the 2019 Clippers pick to take back Blake Griffin.    Presumably, such a deal would only make sense mid-season if the Clippers get wind that Blake isn't staying.   

At that point, what would our offer be for Westbrook?   2017 Brooklyn pick, Thomas, Jaylen Brown, etc?

Better to just wait until next year to sign him for free, I guess. Thanks for checking with in with the delusional Clips fans.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Better to just wait until next year to sign him for free, I guess. Thanks for checking with in with the delusional Clips fans.
To be fair a lot of us on here are delusional Celtics fans.

At that price, I really hope that Danny would hang up the phone. Moving all those players for Griffin makes us worse now. In other words making that deal probably makes it less likely that we can keep Blake next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19