Author Topic: Demetrius got paid!  (Read 15592 times)

Re: Demetrius got paid!
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 06:40:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Lets assume Bentil will not make the final roster, but is getting a first year partial guarantee to get him to camp and then possibly Maine.

No. It doesn't work that way.  If we sign him to an NBA contract then he is, indeed, on the roster.   We can send him to Maine, but he'd still be on the 15-man roster.

Read my sentence more carefully.  Bentil does not make final 15 man roster, i.e. he is cut.  He is free to do whatever he wants. But possibly he agrees to play the year in Maine on the D-League payroll.  He might agree to this because C's have given him some guaranteed $ up front. Under this scenario, he is playing in Maine, but not on the C's 15 man roster and no call ups to C's.

The guaranteed money (which in Bentil's case is probably a few hundred K) would get him to camp, and it might make him more agreeable to then (if cut) go to Maine (instead of some other D-League affiliate or international).  But no decent agent would allow his player to agree to a handshake promise to not sign with another NBA team.  He would be an unrestricted free agent in this scenario and if another team were to offer him even just the league minimum, that's too much money for these kids to say no to.  Even if just offered a 10-day, that's an opportunity that might open other opportunities that a kid would be crazy to say no to on a promise that his original drafting team (that no longer has his rights and had no room on the roster for him) "might" have room down the road.

The NBA needs to fix it's developmental league and expand it's roster to allow for developmental slots.   Right now it's very much broken.  The NBA-DL contracts are ridiculously small so very few players want to be 'stashed' there.  Their only financially viable option if they go the 'stash' route is to hope to get a decent contract on an international team.   Otherwise, the player has to play a bit of hardball and insist on an NBA contract forcing the team to use a roster spot or to lose the player's rights.

Edit:  fixed the quote boxes

With regards to your first point:

If he is cut by the Celtics as one of their final three releases, Maine has first dibs, should he want to go to the D-league.  So the money wouldn't make him choose to go to Maine over another D-league team.

Secondly, Bentil might actually not want to go overseas.  He came over to the US as a high schooler, and depending on his green card status/citizenship status, he may not want to not interrupt his permanent resident status by entering foreign basketball.  I don't know that for any kind of fact, of course, but it's certainly not impossible that playing overseas is not an option for him at this time.

He would, of course, become an unrestricted free agent if he cleared waivers.  The money might keep him from signing a 10-day contract, or at least give the Celtics the courtesy of a phone call to sign him first, but there's no way he'd turn down a rest-of-season contract offered in January because the Celtics gave him some decent money upfront.

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I just have a rotten mind , when I saw the title of this thread .. :angel:

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
At this point I think we are all saying about the same thing. It will be interesting to what else (if anything) transpires between now and opening day.

Is there any sub committee at league headquarters looking into the D league mess - gotta find a way to get the salaries up.

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
At this point I think we are all saying about the same thing. It will be interesting to what else (if anything) transpires between now and opening day.

Is there any sub committee at league headquarters looking into the D league mess - gotta find a way to get the salaries up.

The salaries for the D league are paid directly by the NBA (except for players on NBA 15-man rosters) and not the teams.  They could be raised tomorrow of Adam Silver wanted.

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I just have a rotten mind , when I saw the title of this thread .. :angel:

What were you thinking Shaq? "Show me the money"

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I don't understand this.
Jackson was terrible in the summer league.

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2016, 10:11:15 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
According to Bobby Marks, Jackson is partially guaranteed for next year $650,000 (if not waived by 7/15), and 3rd and 4th year are fully non-guaranteed with waive dates by 7/1.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/bos/salary/

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
According to Bobby Marks, Jackson is partially guaranteed for next year $650,000 (if not waived by 7/15), and 3rd and 4th year are fully non-guaranteed with waive dates by 7/1.

So just over $2 million is guaranteed?  I guess some of the fretting in this thread can stop then.

EDIT: It also looks like the $650k guarantee doesn't kick in until 7/15 next year, according to Marks.  "Protection increases to $650,000 if not waived by 7/15", which implies that if he's waived before then, there's no guarantee.

Want to clarify with him over Twitter?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:23:22 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

So just over $2 million is guaranteed?  I guess some of the fretting in this thread can stop then.

Not that they really had anything to really fret over, but yeah. This should put an end to it. If there's something that at the very least people should trust by now is that Ainge knows what he does with his cap space and flexibility. Well, more on point, if you don't want to trust Ainge, trust Mike Zarren.

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
but why give him the contract at all?  He has shown nothing that indicates he should even be on the roster next year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2016, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
but why give him the contract at all?  He has shown nothing that indicates he should even be on the roster next year.

Because the decision whether to have him on the roster was made when they drafted him, and not based on 100 minutes of summer league play over the course of 10 days, and rather based on multiple years of college play.  He was high on their draft board with a first round grade.  They like him.  Plain and simple.

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I was surprised by this. Jackson was not good in summer league at all. Although, I do remember him being questionable for at least one of the games so maybe he was playing through injury.

In college he showed to be an explosive athlete that can shoot well off the ball, while having the potential to be a good defender. I guess the Celtics valued his college tape over his Summer league performance.

Either the C's expect Jackson to improve as a ball handler enough to run the offense or they want to play him in a role similar to Bradley, a guy that guard's 1's but plays off the ball on offense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2016, 12:10:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Because the decision whether to have him on the roster was made when they drafted him, and not based on 100 minutes of summer league play over the course of 10 days, and rather based on multiple years of college play.  He was high on their draft board with a first round grade.  They like him.  Plain and simple.
James Young and RJ Hunter had 1st round grades as well.  I get that Ainge likes him, which is obvious from the contract, but Boston has a real roster problem and I wouldn't have given Demetrius that money given that at least right now. 

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Green, Smart
SF - Crowder, Brown
PF - Johnson, Olynyk, Jerekbo
C - Horford, Zeller

That is 13 people.  There are 2 spots left for Hunter, Mickey, Young, Bentil, and Holland.  Assuming Hunter and Mickey are in, does Jackson really stand out more than Young, Bentil, and Holland.  Maybe he is the guy they go with, but isn't camp the time to really decide that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Even Kevin Pelton is surprised... :o

"CELTICS SPLURGED ON SECOND-ROUND PICK
Kevin Pelton was quite surprised to learn that Boston is committing $5.5 million over four years to guard Demetrius Jackson, the No. 45 overall draftee. That's the largest potential salary for a second-rounder this year. Rating latest NBA deals (Insider)"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/17159441/2016-nba-free-agency-rating-dion-waiters-maurice-harkless-latest-deals

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
They really like him!

But doesn't signing these picks signal that the Celtics have given up on a big trade in the near future.  Or at least they have to wait 30 days before trading these guys although come to think about it, 2nd round players really have zero trade value.  But it does affect our cap space.
No one would mistake me for a "capologist", but I think this may makes sense.  In other words, no big trade is going down now, or even before the season starts, but DA may already be thinking ahead to the trade deadline in February.  As usual, he is one step ahead of the rest of us.

No, it just means that the pieces that were just signed can't be included in a trade until their respective vesting periods are up.   

A trade could still happen today using other pieces on the roster.   Some would argue that a reason for signing Jackson is because maybe they intended to move Smart or Rozier.  Or a reason for signing Zeller is to add big man depth if someone like Amir or Olynyk were about to be moved.

As usual with Danny, you can't be certain you have all his plans figured out because he tends to leave himself with multiple possible moves.

This is so true...fans should try to remember this before calling Danny a bum.