Author Topic: Demetrius got paid!  (Read 15633 times)

Re: Demetrius got paid!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Why? Just way too many players with not enough minutes. The roster cannot be finalized.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
And if he projects as being a solid backup PG in the league, that is a steal price given what other players are making right now.

He wasn't even a solid backup in summer league.  This kid is years away.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why? Just way too many players with not enough minutes. The roster cannot be finalized.

It's not, but Jackson isn't getting in the way.  He's ticketed for Maine this year, and that's been the plan since draft night.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 06:00:41 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Assuming Bentil is also signed per reports, combined with the Zeller & Green signings, that puts us at 18 players under contract.

Thomas
Horford
Bradley
Crowder
Johnson
Brown
Jerebko
Olynyk
Smart
Rozier
Zeller
Green
Hunter
Young
Mickey
Jackson
Bentil
Holand

That's 3 too many.

Holland is a free cut (non-guaranteed contract) but the word is both Jackson and Bentil are getting some guaranteed money.   Signing them now not only puts pressure on the limited roster slots, but also has the effect of starting the clock on their rookie contract years-of-control.

Unless a trade is in the works, signing Holland and Bentil (instead of stashing them) seems like a very unusual move right now.

So it seems very much like a trade is brewing, though I suppose it may not happen for a little while.

Newly signed rooks can't be traded for 30 days.   Once signed, FAs like Green can't be traded until December. 

Of course, if none of those players are actually part of the trade, then none of those delays would matter.

Has Jaylen Brown been officially signed yet?  If not ... hmmm.

Brown hasn't been signed.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
He might be traded, but more likely that Smart or Rozier would be.

Yes - they must like Jackson enough to tie him up as potential insurance if rozier or smart traded

Otherwise - why are you giving 15man on the roster - a 2nd rnd pick - guaranteed money for 3yrs?

its not like there won't be a 3rd string pg available for short money after pre-season

2+2 = 5 on this one

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

So it seems very much like a trade is brewing, though I suppose it may not happen for a little while.

I think the trade that's lined up could easily be a virtual dump of Young and/or Hunter. 

That plus cutting Holland would wittle the spots down to 15 or 16.  If another cut is necessary, letting go of Bentil probably doesn't hurt the cap sheet in a way that matters.

Waiting to make those moves is probably a matter of holding onto the slim hope of something more exciting happening.  There's really no urgency to do any of that stuff before the last week or two before the season starts.
I think that's what will end up happening, Danny giving them up with cash to cover part of their contracts for another team's highly protected second rounder.  Holland's departure is pretty much a foregone conclusion

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yes - they must like Jackson enough to tie him up as potential insurance if rozier or smart traded

Otherwise - why are you giving 15man on the roster - a 2nd rnd pick - guaranteed money for 3yrs?

its not like there won't be a 3rd string pg available for short money after pre-season

2+2 = 5 on this one

You're thinking too much on this one.  Would you rather your second-round pick be signed to one year or four, especially when the last three years are only a little above the minimum (and might even wind up at or below the minimum in a new CBA)?  They like him, and he's probably the 6th or 7th guard on a roster of 15 players for the next couple years.  Trades happen, injuries happen, and in two years, free agency happens for three players ahead of him.

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I think the trade that's lined up could easily be a virtual dump of Young and/or Hunter. 

That plus cutting Holland would wittle the spots down to 15 or 16.  If another cut is necessary, letting go of Bentil probably doesn't hurt the cap sheet in a way that matters.

Waiting to make those moves is probably a matter of holding onto the slim hope of something more exciting happening.  There's really no urgency to do any of that stuff before the last week or two before the season starts.
I think that's what will end up happening, Danny giving them up with cash to cover part of their contracts for another team's highly protected second rounder.  Holland's departure is pretty much a foregone conclusion

While likely true, I hope not.  I think he's better than both Young and Hunter.  While everyone was watching summer league, I watched Holand play on the Puerto Rico national team as they attempted to qualify for the Olympics.  He was arguably their best player -- only JJ Barea would also be in the conversation.

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 06:19:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Good for DJ. Even after his poor SL showing I still think he has hope of being an NBA player. He would pair well with a big PG like Smart, as he's better playing off-ball and guarding PG's (a lot like AB and Rozier actually).

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

2+2 = 5 on this one

You're thinking too much on this one.  Would you rather your second-round pick be signed to one year or four, especially when the last three years are only a little above the minimum (and might even wind up at or below the minimum in a new CBA)?  They like him, and he's probably the 6th or 7th guard on a roster of 15 players for the next couple years.  Trades happen, injuries happen, and in two years, free agency happens for three players ahead of him.

your missing the point - 2nd round picks are NOT typically signed to contracts like this

UNLESS celts are sure they have plans for him

ESPECIALLY at his position given current depth

do you really think they signed him for 3yrs to play in Maine?

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 06:50:08 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I can see why Mickey would get such a long contract...big men take longer to develop and he has a skill that the Celtics need.

But Demetrius?  Guards are a dime a dozen and he's not that special in any one area.

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

2+2 = 5 on this one

your missing the point - 2nd round picks are NOT typically signed to contracts like this

UNLESS celts are sure they have plans for him

ESPECIALLY at his position given current depth

do you really think they signed him for 3yrs to play in Maine?

You've missed the contracts 2nd-rounders have signed this season and last, for starters.
He's making barely 1% of the salary cap.  That seems like a player who very well will be in Maine for a year.

The point is, at the 13th-15th roster spots with prospects, if you like the player, you keep him under control for as long as possible.  It doesn't matter who's ahead of him for a year.

I'm sure the Celtics could have paid him less for a shorter deal and made him a free agent after two years, but what's the point of letting some team come in and give a Tyler Johnson offer?  Pay the little bit extra (he'll be making less than $400k over the minimum in years 3 and 4, and that's assuming the minimum salary doesn't increase with a new CBA like it probably will) and keep a player you like for longer.

If the Celtics are right, they've got a bargain.  If they're wrong, the cost is negligible.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 07:22:12 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
This is awfully interesting. That's a pretty large investment into yet another point guard.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
In an interview after the draft Stevens was gushing about him as a player and as a person. He spoke about having recruited him to Butler and how their was a lot familiarity with him. He said that he had him in his top 20 prospects and how dealing away the Memphis picks was difficult because that's who they were likely going to take at #31. He also added that he never thought he'd be available at #45.

Admittedly, I do actually agree with Stevens in regards to having Jackson highly ranked(although, aside from a few flashes, his summer league play seemed to vindicate his draft position, but hopefully he'll play better in the preseason, provided that he actually gets on the court, at all.  Honestly, I'll be shocked if he doesn't spend the entire year in the d-league.  Welp :-\), but come on, man, coaches say this same crap every year - woo ::)