Author Topic: Demetrius got paid!  (Read 15590 times)

Demetrius got paid!
« on: July 26, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Re: Demetrius got paid!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Danny's been giving some 2nd rounders some good money, Mickey and now Jackson

I wonder if this is paving the road for potential future throw ins for trades.

A. if they become good, we keep them for cheap
B. Cheap contract throw ins

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good for D-Jax.

I don't see the trade angle at all.  C's have plenty of larger contracts to balance trades for a star player (Amir, Zeller).  If not stars then no need for a trade.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:08:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Good for D-Jax.

I don't see the trade angle at all.  C's have plenty of larger contracts to balance trades for a star player (Amir, Zeller).  If not stars then no need for a trade.

It's all about having bird rights at the end of a contract.

He can be traded in 30 days (after signing gets finalized, whenever that is if it hasn't occurred already).

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Presumably the fourth year is both a team option and non-guaranteed, similar to how Jordan Mickey's is structured. (This has advantages for trades at the end of year 3, in case anyone wonders why it would be structured that way.)

Also presumably it's a contract with max raises, which means he'll have 4.04 million guaranteed, and make approximately $1.29 million this year.  Ainge could try to structure it to save a little cap room next year, but the savings would only be $35k, so he probably won't.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He might be traded, but more likely that Smart or Rozier would be.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 05:17:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Presumably the fourth year is both a team option and non-guaranteed, similar to how Jordan Mickey's is structured. (This has advantages for trades at the end of year 3, in case anyone wonders why it would be structured that way.)

Also presumably it's a contract with max raises, which means he'll have 4.04 million guaranteed, and make approximately $1.29 million this year.  Ainge could try to structure it to save a little cap room next year, but the savings would only be $35k, so he probably won't.

I thought he'd get only 2 guaranteed years personally, so surprised he managed to get a third a bit. But who knows how leverage in this game works at this stage.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 05:21:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I thought he'd get only 2 guaranteed years personally, so surprised he managed to get a third a bit. But who knows how leverage in this game works at this stage.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised, although I haven't seen anything that says the 3rd year is guaranteed.  Only that the fourth year contains a team option.  I recall last year it took a day or so before we learned of the non-guaranteed year 3 to Mickey.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 05:23:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
For perspective, if Jackson had signed a 4-year deal at the minimum, he'd have been paid a little over $3.6 million.  The difference isn't that huge over four years -- on a arrange it's about $470k more, and 40% of the extra payment comes in year 1.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Assuming Bentil is also signed per reports, combined with the Zeller & Green signings, that puts us at 18 players under contract.

Thomas
Horford
Bradley
Crowder
Johnson
Brown
Jerebko
Olynyk
Smart
Rozier
Zeller
Green
Hunter
Young
Mickey
Jackson
Bentil
Holand

That's 3 too many.

Holland is a free cut (non-guaranteed contract) but the word is both Jackson and Bentil are getting some guaranteed money.   Signing them now not only puts pressure on the limited roster slots, but also has the effect of starting the clock on their rookie contract years-of-control.

Unless a trade is in the works, signing Holland and Bentil (instead of stashing them) seems like a very unusual move right now.

So it seems very much like a trade is brewing, though I suppose it may not happen for a little while.

Newly signed rooks can't be traded for 30 days.   Once signed, FAs like Green can't be traded until December. 

Of course, if none of those players are actually part of the trade, then none of those delays would matter.

Has Jaylen Brown been officially signed yet?  If not ... hmmm.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 05:29:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kind of a lot for a guy who didn't look at all like an NBA guard in summer league.

I know, I know, it's summer league.  But score-first lead guards are typically better suited than anybody to do well in summer league.  Especially ones that spent a few years in college and are 21+.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
And if he projects as being a solid backup PG in the league, that is a steal price given what other players are making right now.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

So it seems very much like a trade is brewing, though I suppose it may not happen for a little while.

I think the trade that's lined up could easily be a virtual dump of Young and/or Hunter. 

That plus cutting Holland would wittle the spots down to 15 or 16.  If another cut is necessary, letting go of Bentil probably doesn't hurt the cap sheet in a way that matters.

Waiting to make those moves is probably a matter of holding onto the slim hope of something more exciting happening.  There's really no urgency to do any of that stuff before the last week or two before the season starts.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
In an interview after the draft Stevens was gushing about him as a player and as a person. He spoke about having recruited him to Butler and how their was a lot familiarity with him. He said that he had him in his top 20 prospects and how dealing away the Memphis picks was difficult because that's who they were likely going to take at #31. He also added that he never thought he'd be available at #45.