Author Topic: When do you expect Lebron performance to decline?  (Read 4754 times)

Re: When do you expect Lebron performance to decline?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
He is what, 34 now? How many more seasons

31.  Takes about 2 seconds on the Google machine to find that out.

It's coming and sooner rather than later.  You don't play that many NBA minutes and not start to see a letdown in your early 30s. 

You can even argue that we've already seen peak Lebron & he has already started his decline  Albeit, so far, that decline still has made him top 1-2 players in the league. So, it's clearly been rather minimal.  I still think you'll see a couple of more seasons of that before he starts a more steady decline.    I think only a major injury would be something that could accelerate that decline.

He has already started his decline, albeit slightly, in my opinion. While his durability (along with others things) have made me question what kind of supplements he may be on. I do expect him to have to have some sort of injury in the next few season that is at least minor. I think whenever that happens we will see the decline really start to pick up.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Who cares...even at his peak, it has been proven he CAN be beat...Of his 3 Rings---TWO of them were "won" because the opposing teams didn't close...S.A. missed 2 free throws in the final minute of Game 6--which led to OT and a Game 7 win by Miami (ridiculous)..and GSW became the First team to CHOKE away a 3-1 lead in the Finals.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
When he is off the juice....

Most people will read this as a snarky joke from a Lebron hater. But it's the correct answer.

Lebron will basically be Serena Williams, a player who keeps dominating physically in a sport where others tend to break down years earlier. When he's in his late 30s he'll still be dominant, and we'll be talking about how he was not only an athletic freak, but that he maintained that athletic freakishness for such a freakishly long time.

Almost every year there will be a mid-season trip to Miami or some other place that will be explained with "he wanted to work out with Dwyane Wade" or "the warm weather is good for his back" or something like that.

Hmm... Gee, wonder why the Serena's the comparison? Maria Sharapova is the one who recently actually tested positive for a banned substance.
Because Serena's musculature is so massive and defined that she looks like a man playing with women.  Lebron has always been freakishly physically superior, too.  Sharapova, while a great athlete, does not look the part even if she did use a PED, hence the comparison of the two physically dominant people.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He has already started to decline. In the Finals this past year he showed he's still the best on the planet. Next year I'd say it's a tossup whether he or someone else is the best player in the NBA.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
Haven't read through the entire thread.
But around the same time as KG ?

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It really makes us look small as a Blog with the juicing allegations...

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He'll see decline, but I also think he's talented enough that he can just evolve his game later in his career and still be effective.  I've said it before... if he stays healthy I could see him playing at age 40 playing point power forward as a cross between old man Karl Malone and old man Magic Johnson. 

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'll have to call the authorities on my wife.

Her "musculature" is similar to Serena's.

I am shocked to think that she has been doping for nearly 18 years now...........

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Haven't read through the entire thread.
But around the same time as KG ?

honestly KG's decline was forced because of that injury which occurred when he was 33, he came back and was never the same player even though he was extremely effective. I say lebron is good until he has a major injury its still crazy how he still dunks and some of the moves he has at 31. one thing that is crazy  right now is his speed and power. I stay 34 rapid decline will show, if not get him tested asap.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It really makes us look small as a Blog with the juicing allegations...
Yup, especially when the allegations are based purely on physical appearance.  I thought we were past that...

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He'll see decline, but I also think he's talented enough that he can just evolve his game later in his career and still be effective.  I've said it before... if he stays healthy I could see him playing at age 40 playing point power forward as a cross between old man Karl Malone and old man Magic Johnson.
Agree in part that he is that good he can alter his game, position and minutes BUT how many top level guys want to play when they aren't THE man.  Maybe a year or two but I can't see the decision being a complimentary player.  If he isn't alpha dog I don't seem him playing, unless obscene money is involved.

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If David Ortiz has lasted as long as he has, why can't Bron Bron last at least 5 more?

EDIT: I wonder what they have in common? And no, Bron Bron isn't from the DR nor is Ortiz from OHIO.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:31:19 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think we're going to see Lebron take a step back this coming season and I think it'll be intentional. Kyrie made a big impression in the Finals last year. While Lebron was still clearly better (and likely will be this season) I'm thinking Lebron is going to try and shift some more of the burden Kyrie's way now that he's ready.

I'm not sure if that counts as "decline" but I think his raw numbers will decline slightly.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think we're going to see Lebron take a step back this coming season and I think it'll be intentional. Kyrie made a big impression in the Finals last year. While Lebron was still clearly better (and likely will be this season) I'm thinking Lebron is going to try and shift some more of the burden Kyrie's way now that he's ready.

I'm not sure if that counts as "decline" but I think his raw numbers will decline slightly.

Yeah I kinda don't think his regular season numbers are going to tell us much.

We'll know once he can't flip the switch in the playoffs anymore. He'snot going to burn himself out to win 59 games instead of 57, it's just not worth it.

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 10:56:05 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
David Ortiz is probably best suited to answer this question. Of course Brady, both devastatingly handsome and omniscient, may know as well.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC