Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 9691 times)

Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 04:17:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I liked it but I couldn't tell if that was it for this story or they will continue with the same characters and the story continues on. Does anyone know? T reminded me of " Dark Room" from the 80's but ofcourse a fuller story. It's not one of my faces of Netflix but I thought it was cool. I'm addicted to Bloodline.

They're returning to Hawkins for Season Two.  Supposed to be a year later so fall '84.  The boys are definitely back  I think Eleven is the big question mark right now although you have to think that she'll show up again. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 04:50:14 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just watched the first episode. Possibly the best first episode of any show ever. Very few competitors. Maybe Game of Thrones

For me, the best first episode (read: most intriguing/biggest hook) was Lost. But Stranger Things is artistically well done.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 05:07:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pilot episodes off the top of my head that I thought were amazing.

-Miami Vice (trust me)
-The O.C.  (I'm not kidding.  Much grittier than subsequent episodes.  Fox must've told them to tone it down)
-Lost
-Stranger Things
-Freaks & Geeks (the opening shot especially)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 05:25:59 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I liked it but I couldn't tell if that was it for this story or they will continue with the same characters and the story continues on. Does anyone know? T reminded me of " Dark Room" from the 80's but ofcourse a fuller story. It's not one of my faces of Netflix but I thought it was cool. I'm addicted to Bloodline.

They're returning to Hawkins for Season Two.  Supposed to be a year later so fall '84.  The boys are definitely back  I think Eleven is the big question mark right now although you have to think that she'll show up again.

Ah. Thanks.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Maybe Game of Thrones

I think the pilot was one of the worst episodes and I love the show and have read all the books.
Callin you all out for revisionism. Just the opening theme with the stuff that pops up was insane. Then they killed a major character in the first ten minutes but he survived. Plus you had Tyrion for the first time ever doing what Tyrion does.
It was a serviceable introduction, but I didn't get a sense for what the show would be until much later.  I didn't at all take the Bran scene seriously.  I was like "yeah, he's gonna be fine... typical fantasy schlock".  I only kept watching, because people who read to books insisted the show was going to be unique.  Initially, I just thought it was a wannabee "Lord of the Rings". 

I think it's revisionism to claim that first episode was one of the best ever, because the series as a whole is one of the best ever.   

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe Game of Thrones

I think the pilot was one of the worst episodes and I love the show and have read all the books.
Callin you all out for revisionism. Just the opening theme with the stuff that pops up was insane. Then they killed a major character in the first ten minutes but he survived. Plus you had Tyrion for the first time ever doing what Tyrion does.
It was a serviceable introduction, but I didn't get a sense for what the show would be until much later.  I didn't at all take the Bran scene seriously.  I was like "yeah, he's gonna be fine... typical fantasy schlock".  I only kept watching, because people who read to books insisted the show was going to be unique.  Initially, I just thought it was a wannabee "Lord of the Rings". 

I think it's revisionism to claim that first episode was one of the best ever, because the series as a whole is one of the best ever.   
Maybe you're thinking the plot wasn't the best pilot ever. It wasn't the plot that hooked people in that first episode.

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I liked it but I'm surprised people think it's one of the best shows ever. I would have been fine ending it there. I figured they'd move on to a new cast of characters and story.

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
95 percent of fantasy/ horror is pretty bad though. When one is even decent I like it.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2022, 05:59:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Season 4 is amazing.  A+.  If you like the genre, it’s close to flawless in my opinion.

Best season since Season 1.  I heard some folks griping that the episodes are too long.  Screw that.  I could have watched 40 hours of this.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2022, 06:12:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Love season 4!!!! Kind remind me of Freddy Kruger & guess who plays in it??? Now got to wait till July 1st 😭😭😭
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2022, 06:13:08 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Amazing show. These kids have become very solid actors in front of our eyes. Season 3 finale was really good, and S4E1 was excellent too. One of my favorite shows on TV, and likely to be an all time favorite.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2022, 02:32:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes