Author Topic: is rozier really ready  (Read 3475 times)

is rozier really ready
« on: July 26, 2016, 04:18:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
summer league exploits seem to have everybody convinced he is ready to take control
he had a great summer league but i saw some turnovers that reeked of inexperience
it is one thing getting spot minutes but is he ready to run the team 20 minutes a night and work through shost not falling,guard pressure or being banged up
does he have the court vision and dribbling skills of an elite point guard-

Re: is rozier really ready
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:51:29 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I would say definately yes.  Obviously there is still going to be some stuff for him to work on and some inexperience but he does so much stuff well and contributes quite a bit.

You are assuming his shot isn't going to be falling and you are probably correct at times(no player hits every shot) but every time he is out there he puts up numbers.  I'm not sure I've seen a game where he hasn't. If there is one it's probably like 5 percent of the time.

Every player goes through stretches, but he is definately a lot less than others. He still plays defense and rebounds and does so many other things well getting in the paint and kicking and running the offense. He might not be the best at finding guys in certain situations like cutters and is primarily a scorer but he still can set up an offense and drive and kick.

He's not primarily a shooter that's the thing.  He attacks constantly and is also capable of running an offense, being patient and looking for his shot.  He's also a good defender and rebounder.

his ball handling is fine to me.  He might not see certain guys sometimes because he is looking for his own offense and the aggressor, but a lot of the time he does. His ball handling is fine for the most part.  Just can improve in ways.

Even Damian Lillard misses guys sometimes.  Rozier is a different player than Lillard but similar in ways.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:44:52 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:04:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Experience comes with real play time .. Not garbage minutes ,Dleague games  and practices
So if the only issue is his inexperience then i say he is ready

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 07:13:17 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
summer league exploits seem to have everybody convinced he is ready to take control
he had a great summer league but i saw some turnovers that reeked of inexperience
it is one thing getting spot minutes but is he ready to run the team 20 minutes a night and work through shost not falling,guard pressure or being banged up
does he have the court vision and dribbling skills of an elite point guard-

Not everybody.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 07:19:18 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
A good SL is always better than a bad SL, but I would trade him for Okafor right now.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:24:58 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Last year Rozier gave us some quality play at the end of season.  Since that he has looked like a NBA player in summer league.  Not raw like brown or out of control like most but a guy when on court looks like he's a level above summer league.
He's ready

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:31:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
A good SL is always better than a bad SL, but I would trade him for Okafor right now.

TP and I d thrown in Zeller , Young or Hunter too. .....maybe Nader

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 07:53:30 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He played well at the end of last season (as well as up in d-league), then Brad trusted him with 20 minutes a game (as a rookie!) in the playoffs. In SL, it was clear just how hard he had worked to advance his game still further. I have no question in my mind that with a training camp and preseason he'll be more than ready to back up IT. That could be 15 minutes a night in the rotation to start, running the second unit.

I am high enough on him not to want to give him up for Okafor, though as part of a deal for Westbrook signing an extension with us? Of course, he's got to go for that (unless they take IT or Smart instead).

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I watched an interview last year after preseason and Danny said than that veterans on the team were talking high of Rozier than. So I think he is clearly ready for 15-20 mpg out of the gate. From there he can play himself out of those minutes or into more. C's have the luxury of spoon feeding guards because of the depth at the 1-2.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:27:41 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd say he's ready for 10-15 mpg, and to share ball handling duties with Smart off the bench.  He'll have to prove that he's deserving of any more than that, and if he doesn't show enough then it's entirely possible he loses his spot in the rotation.

I wouldn't say that he's definitely ready to contribute, but he's definitely ready to compete for it.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think part of playing Rozier is understanding you're going to be okay with him making some boneheaded mistakes, and that his play besides that is good enough to warrant the leash to get get the experience to stop making them.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The thing that strikes me the most about Rozier is ever since he came into the league when is on the floor he does something. NBA level competition is more difficult than summer league competition obviously.  But even last year in limited minutes in the playoffs he was able to get decent play. He looks better this year. Every time he is out there he does something. I don't think I've seen a long stretch yet where he doesn't.

He might not be the prototypical pg but the way the nba is what is that anyways? Is it jason kidd?  Is it Lillard?  What is the prototypical pg anymore?

He isn't going to be rondo with his passing I know that. He can still do some things and improve along the way.

He's not a bad passer.  He just gets in the mode of trying to score where he isn't looking to pass. He still makes the pass quite a bit if it's there. He sometimes misses guys.

I've seen him throw alley oops off the drive and kick for 3.  He isn't a guy who has all the passes like Rondo and looking to pass first all the time no. I've seen him make good passes though.

He's more a point guard than AB. He also drives the lane more than AB.

He's a poor man's lillard to me with some hard nosed play.  I actually think he is more physical than Lillard but not as creative or flashy creative with his moves.  Both are athletic.  Rozier might be more so.  Lillard is more like Telfair imo if Telfair was actually good. Rozier is like a cross between Lillard and Hersey Hawkins but maybe not quite as good. He's going to be really solid though i feel.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:57:02 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Sry going on and on, but instead of editing my post for the 10th time I'll just add where he differs from AB is that his initial instinct is to handle the ball and drive the lane. he plays off the ball too.  He can play both pg and sg but he is more a pg than AB. 

Both are combo guards in ways but Rozier is more a pg. AB could set up an offense with simple passes to the low post etc and move the ball around, but he did not have that initial instinct to drive and create offense.  He failed as a pg that way. He's much better in the role they have him now as a catch and shooter and cutter and improving with his driving and passing.

Rozier is much more a guy who can create offense from the point of attack. That's the main factor of being a pg. He has his drawbacks though.  He gets into hero mode a bit too much and is strictly a tunnel vision driver at times and isn't as good as Lillard as far as really doing that. He does this off the ball too, where he'll take a pass and shoot or drive  and not look for the pass. It's like he loses his vision. He can make alley oops and stuff off the drive.  He can also shoot it and drive and kick. But he loses his vision at times.

He's not as creative or skilled as Lillard as far as pulling up off the drive and doing different things.  He can pull up but he's just not as good at it.

He reminds me of Reggie Jackson too a bit although not as good. He'll be solid.  I don't know if he is the answer long term.  He may be a trade asset for all I know but he's a good player.

He's more stricly an attack and catch and shoot sort of player is all I'm saying right now but he does attack non stop and can rebound and defend. I don't think he is a pure pg that way.  He's somewhat limited.

He's better than Marcus that way, and actually hits his shots on offense.  But if Marcus ever figures out his offense I'm not sure Rozier is better.  marcus is better on defense and has a higher ceiling.  They should pair and compliment each other well. Both are good defenders. One of them is great.  Both do different things on offense.  Marcus isn't the most attacking sort of player but can. I think Marcus is actually pretty creative with his passing and can make passes from the outside in and create with the pass where other players can't.

A lot of information in my head lol.  Just saying though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:24:29 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 09:30:06 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He's reached the "throw him out there and see what he can do" stage.

I think that's pretty good progress for a 16th pick on a very good team.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm in the "it doesn't matter that much" camp. If healthy, Smart, Bradley, and IT really should be getting pretty much all the guard minutes (all 96 of them would only be an average of 32 mpg per player). Couple that with that fact Green and Brown can also play the 2, and we have some insurance if Rozier can't do anything.

But I'm hopeful he can play 10-15 mpg as the 4th guard and maybe push Stevens to use even more 3 guard rotations to give him even more time if things go well.