Author Topic: KO extension deadline: 31st October 2016  (Read 4325 times)

KO extension deadline: 31st October 2016
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:31:38 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Just curious to get people's thoughts on KO's possible extension.

I know he is a polarizing player, but would anyone object to 3 years 36mill?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: KO extension deadline: 31st October 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:54:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
He'll probably get none, unless a trade is made prior to that. Very hard to envision Ainge sacrificing next years cap space and flexibility to accommodate Olynyk, a player who may be gone next year if we go after a Max player as it is. Unless Ainge has plans to cut the fat somewhere else somehow or imagines he can move him easily.

Also, Olynyk is currently injured, so hard to commit to someone before he gets on the court and without probably much practice.

I know people were fond of being alarmists for Sullinger's health issues, but Olynyk's is equally concerning if not more so.

In all, it's doable, but I just don't see an extension happening. I'd wait and see for the Summer.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He should just be coming off of an injury then, so my question would be whether they can extend him for 3 x $9M. If I'm KO and I've watched the deals that Sully and TZ just got, I don't get greedy and I take that.

In a similar situation, AB reportedly held out and got more. (And now is seen as "underpaid".)

But I believe they could go over the cap for KO, so if somehow they look at that point like they might make it into FA under the cap next summer, I could see the C's and KO holding off until after they have chased any FA next summer--and then they could pay him at whatever or near the current market rate.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
to me, retaining KO is more questionable than retaining Sully.  With Sully, you knew you were getting rebounding, decent passing and finishing around the basket.  with KO, he can look terrific one game and then non-existent the next. 

personally, I wouldn't offer much of an extension pre-season and would prefer to see what he brings this season.  if he finally plays focussed every game, he's still and RFA next offseason and C's can resign him.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:23:30 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Unless he extends for less than his cap hold will be this summer (which would be a horrible financial decision for him), he'll become an RFA at the end of the season.  We can worry about getting him signed after we've brought in a big fish (or missed every opportunity to do so), but you don't sacrifice the chance at a top player in the league for Kelly Olynyk
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ready for a 4 year 60 million dollar extension?

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:34:03 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
to me, retaining KO is more questionable than retaining Sully.  With Sully, you knew you were getting rebounding, decent passing and finishing around the basket.  with KO, he can look terrific one game and then non-existent the next. 

personally, I wouldn't offer much of an extension pre-season and would prefer to see what he brings this season.  if he finally plays focussed every game, he's still and RFA next offseason and C's can resign him.

KO fits this team much better then Sully... He is a big man who can stretch the floor, shoot the three, & run transition... While his rebounding skills are rather weak thats not really what he is paid to do...

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I found it interesting that KO was with Danny when recruiting free agents this summer. I'm not sure what that means.

Anyway I would think that Danny will offer him a deal that fits into what he's trying to do salary cap wise. What that number is i have no idea add to that I can't guess if it will be enough for KO and his group.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 09:10:38 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
His skill set is in extremely high demand.  Ryan Anderson just signed for 4 yrs. 80 mill.,  Meyers Leonard signed for 4 yrs. 41 mill. (coming off a similar injury).   K.O. is better than both of them and it really isn't that close.  He is a better ball handler and has a way more diverse offensive game than either of them.  On the defensive end he is also in a different category whether people want to believe it or not.  Not to mention he is younger than both.

With that said it doesn't make any sense to extend him this year and give up cap space for next off season in the process.  He will without a doubt be kept and resigned after they fill out the roster next year.  His salary can take the C's above the cap then.  If something crazy were to happen like bringing in Westbrook and Noel, maybe they would offer an extension then in an effort to get him on a cheaper long term contract this year but those type scenarios are remote.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 09:29:40 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Unless he extends for less than his cap hold will be this summer (which would be a horrible financial decision for him), he'll become an RFA at the end of the season.  We can worry about getting him signed after we've brought in a big fish (or missed every opportunity to do so), but you don't sacrifice the chance at a top player in the league for Kelly Olynyk

RIght, unless, as I understand it, they are going to be over the cap anyway.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
I found it interesting that KO was with Danny when recruiting free agents this summer. I'm not sure what that means.

Anyway I would think that Danny will offer him a deal that fits into what he's trying to do salary cap wise. What that number is i have no idea add to that I can't guess if it will be enough for KO and his group.

KO was also among the guys that the C's (Ainge) told Bulpett this summer is part of their "core". KO gets far more grief from posters at this site than he deserves.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

KO this year will be even better.

In alot of ways he was one of those bigs and started the whole "stretch the floor" movement

Prior to KO which other bigs shot 3s, handled/passed the ball ?

KO just needs to keep working on his body.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He'll probably get none, unless a trade is made prior to that. Very hard to envision Ainge sacrificing next years cap space and flexibility to accommodate Olynyk, a player who may be gone next year if we go after a Max player as it is. Unless Ainge has plans to cut the fat somewhere else somehow or imagines he can move him easily.

Also, Olynyk is currently injured, so hard to commit to someone before he gets on the court and without probably much practice.

I know people were fond of being alarmists for Sullinger's health issues, but Olynyk's is equally concerning if not more so.

In all, it's doable, but I just don't see an extension happening. I'd wait and see for the Summer.

Pretty much this.  They're not going to cut into future flexibility by much. Furthermore, if he signs an extension, his salary becomes more difficult to trade.  Say he signed a 4-year, $40 million extension (which would be a bargain, by the way).  His outgoing salary, which determines what the Celtics can take back, would remain its current $3.1 million.  However, his incoming salary for the team receiving him would be the average of Olynyk's current salary and his new contract, and so would be about $8.6 million.  It doesn't make him impossible to trade, but when players have disparate incoming and outgoing salaries, it makes salary matching a lot more difficult.

But the bigger deal is cap space.  According to Eric Pincus, the max for a 7-9 year player currently projects to $28.3 million.  Without any trades, if you assume that Zeller is gone (a safe assumption), but do account for 1st round draft holds, the Celtics have about $30-33 million in cap space (depending on how many of Young/Hunter/Mickey are kept, and where the Nets pick winds up), before accounting for Olynyk at all.  Without a trade, there's simply not enough flexibility to extend Olynyk at this point, and depending how the numbers shake out next year, there might not be enough to keep him at all.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Trade out Nets  picks and KO and Rozier for Boogie Man.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hair extensions have deadlines ;)? ;D