Author Topic: If Brook Lopez were out for 2016-17, how many games do the Nets win?  (Read 12488 times)

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Assume Brook Lopez gets injured tomorrow and is out for the 2016-17 season. How many games would the Nets win?

I'm at 11.

Mike

Re: If Brook Lopez were out for 2016-17, how many games do the Nets win?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:19:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
2.5 - 3.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:21 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
16-18, Scola could hold down the fort and if they simply thing with that Kid McCullough he could be a bouncy 5 who can get out and run.

They'll actually have guards this year too.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 08:35:58 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Assume Brook Lopez gets injured tomorrow and is out for the 2016-17 season. How many games would the Nets win?

I'm at 11.

Mike
Hmm, that's awfully specific. Makes me suspicious of what you're doing tomorrow.

On the other hand, I've had this rusty old tire iron sitting unused in my garage for years. 5 bucks and it's yours  ;)

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Without Lopez, the nets might lose so many games that they would have to give back victories from last year.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
16-18, Scola could hold down the fort and if they simply thing with that Kid McCullough he could be a bouncy 5 who can get out and run.

They might not win that WITH Lopez.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Man, that's just crazy. Not so much the win projection, but Scola is pretty much washed up at this point. Never mind that he wasn't half the player In his prime that Lopez is. McCullough has hardly played NBA minutes at all. And they don't "actually have guards this year". They have Jeremy Lin. A halfway decent back-up PG whos really not a whole lot better than Jarrett Jack or Shane Larkin.

Without Thad Young, and losing Crabbe/Johnson, they'll be lucky to get out of the bottom 5 WITH Lopez. Without him, they're a mortal lock to be just about the worst team in the league.

If Lopez gets hurt, Boston is guaranteed a top 3 pick. That roster is absolutely atrocious.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:28:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the single season record for worst won-loss record would be in serious jeopardy of being broken

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Man, that's just crazy. Not so much the win projection, but Scola is pretty much washed up at this point. Never mind that he wasn't half the player In his prime that Lopez is. McCullough has hardly played NBA minutes at all. And they don't "actually have guards this year". They have Jeremy Lin. A halfway decent back-up PG whos really not a whole lot better than Jarrett Jack or Shane Larkin.

Without Thad Young, and losing Crabbe/Johnson, they'll be lucky to get out of the bottom 5 WITH Lopez. Without him, they're a mortal lock to be just about the worst team in the league.

If Lopez gets hurt, Boston is guaranteed a top 3 pick. That roster is absolutely atrocious.

Hold down the fort as in lead them to 16 wins... Crazy! He's a 5 who shot 40% from 3 last year. Look bad teams that play hard win games against better teams that take them off. Booker is probably nor significantly worse than Thad Young, who is a back up on a good team. McCullough was a first round pick who showed some flashes but has a long way to go. Guys like that tend to be high variance though, so while in a lot of games they'll get blown out, every now and then they'll pull a rabbit outta the hat.

I don't think people really understand how much went wrong for that team last year, coaching and guard play alone probably get them to the mid 20s in terms of wins. These predictions of 8 or 9 are asinine.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

please explain to me how that team got 5 games worse this offseason. Delusional.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

please explain to me how that team got 5 games worse this offseason. Delusional.

Well they lost Thad Young and Joe Johnson, and Jack I think.
I think just losing Young and Johnson and replacing them with those guys is good for 5 less wins. All Depends how Lopez plays. Because Young and Johnson/Jack are all gone, more offense might flow through Brook which is probably more efficient offense.

Losing Young will hurt them a lot though because although Scola looked okay for Toronto when Carroll got hurt, he was a black hole on defense even with those okay defenders around him.
Scola with that pathetic defense Nets team will be a disaster.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 10:16:27 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

I'm at 11.

Mike
Hmm, that's awfully specific. Makes me suspicious of what you're doing tomorrow.

On the other hand, I've had this rusty old tire iron sitting unused in my garage for years. 5 bucks and it's yours  ;)

;)

He seems a decent fellow. I hate to injure him.

But I didn't have enough room in the title to say, "What would happen if Brook Lopez met his b'sheret tomorrow and ran off to lead a basketball-free life?," a much better scenario.

Mike