Author Topic: Interesting Larry Sanders tweet  (Read 12604 times)

Re: Interesting Larry Sanders tweet
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Let's not be fooled lots of pro athletes use cannabis. We all know plenty of people who lead successful lives while being cannabis users. I'm about as liberal as it comes when cannabis is the topic (Yes even for pro athletes). HOWEVER...

My worry about Larry Sanders is he decided cannabis was so important in his life that he'd forgo millions. Not a single successful person I know would ever let something come between them and their goals. No one in his inner circle could be talk him out this? What sort of support does this man have in his life?

Quitting your job during prime earning years to use a recreational plant says a lot about his character. Larry Sander would have quit basketball with or without the cannabis excuse. He's not motivated by money nor is he motivated by the game of basketball.

I'd have 0 interest in letting this guy work for me. You might get production but you'll always be disappointed.

Interesting. Would you even give him an interview or two?

You can't deny his skill set is literally perfect for the Celtics..

The thing is we don't know he quit because he can't smoke. Depression and anxiety is why he chose not to play. Pot helps with anxiety. I'm not trying to twist the storyline but we don't know. It sounds like he had legit problems. The other thing is, did any of the pot smoking even effect his performance? If he got a medical marijuana card couldn't he just play and continue to smile and help his anxiety?

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2016, 03:44:03 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Another thing is( and this is just opinion. I'm no doctor) isn't it better he's smoking some weed than on some of these anti depressants. Often some of these drugs require a second drug to go with it. I'm not sure that weed wouldn't be healthier choice.

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I have always been a huge fan of Sanders, but I honestly don't think basketball will ever be what Sanders truly wants to do for the rest of his life, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Many players in their professional careers play the sport simply because of money, fame, and love. Generally, it doesn't always include all 3.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I just think we are so backwards when booze is sooo much more dangerous to ourselves than others. Do I like having a drink or more once in awhile with friends? Sure do. But I believe it would actually be more " right to make booze illegal" than pot.
Who said anything about making pot illegal?

Oh nobody here, I was just stating a belief that had to do with the situation. Like a guy got tested for pot 4 times? That's crazy when booze is so much worse.
He got tested. Pot is what they found. My guess would be that players get tested a lot more than 4 times, and repeat offenders -- even more than that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Let's not be fooled lots of pro athletes use cannabis. We all know plenty of people who lead successful lives while being cannabis users. I'm about as liberal as it comes when cannabis is the topic (Yes even for pro athletes). HOWEVER...

My worry about Larry Sanders is he decided cannabis was so important in his life that he'd forgo millions. Not a single successful person I know would ever let something come between them and their goals. No one in his inner circle could be talk him out this? What sort of support does this man have in his life?

Quitting your job during prime earning years to use a recreational plant says a lot about his character. Larry Sander would have quit basketball with or without the cannabis excuse. He's not motivated by money nor is he motivated by the game of basketball.

I'd have 0 interest in letting this guy work for me. You might get production but you'll always be disappointed.

The thing is we don't know he quit because he can't smoke. Depression and anxiety is why he chose not to play. Pot helps with anxiety. I'm not trying to twist the storyline but we don't know. It sounds like he had legit problems. The other thing is, did any of the pot smoking even effect his performance? If he got a medical marijuana card couldn't he just play and continue to smile and help his anxiety?

That was my whole point. Cannabis was a scapegoat it literally could have been any drug. Larry Sanders has deeper issues that lead him to self medicating and leaving a lucrative career. The cannabis wasn't the red flag for me it's why he was doing it to the point he quit his multimillion a year career.

He doesn't have a strong support network and he doesn't seem to deal well with issues on his own.

Someone asked in a previous reply to my comment whether I'd at least bring him in for an interview and the answer would be no. Why would I even want to even take a chance on a headache like that? He's already had an NBA job and decided he had other interests to pursue. I don't care if he says he loves basketball because he's proven he clearly does not.

Could i be wrong? YES!
Is Larry Sanders a talented ball player? YES!

I don't know this guy personally and maybe everything that lead up to this was just all bad timing and circumstances.

I want to be 1000% clear here. I'm pro cannabis. I'm pro athletes using cannabis. I'm anti Celtics signing guys who don't love the game.
ok fine

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I have always been a huge fan of Sanders, but I honestly don't think basketball will ever be what Sanders truly wants to do for the rest of his life, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Many players in their professional careers play the sport simply because of money, fame, and love. Generally, it doesn't always include all 3.

There's a lack of perspective in all of this because "rest of his life" does not apply to basketball career, which is quite short in the the context of a full life.

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I just think we are so backwards when booze is sooo much more dangerous to ourselves than others. Do I like having a drink or more once in awhile with friends? Sure do. But I believe it would actually be more " right to make booze illegal" than pot.
Who said anything about making pot illegal?

I think if guys get tested its very rare and they give them a heads up way in advance. I don't think we'd ever see a valuable player suspended for a big game because of pot.

Oh nobody here, I was just stating a belief that had to do with the situation. Like a guy got tested for pot 4 times? That's crazy when booze is so much worse.
He got tested. Pot is what they found. My guess would be that players get tested a lot more than 4 times, and repeat offenders -- even more than that.

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

That was my whole point. Cannabis was a scapegoat it literally could have been any drug. Larry Sanders has deeper issues that lead him to self medicating and leaving a lucrative career. The cannabis wasn't the red flag for me it's why he was doing it to the point he quit his multimillion a year career.

He doesn't have a strong support network and he doesn't seem to deal well with issues on his own.

Someone asked in a previous reply to my comment whether I'd at least bring him in for an interview and the answer would be no. Why would I even want to even take a chance on a headache like that? He's already had an NBA job and decided he had other interests to pursue. I don't care if he says he loves basketball because he's proven he clearly does not.

Could i be wrong? YES!
Is Larry Sanders a talented ball player? YES!

I don't know this guy personally and maybe everything that lead up to this was just all bad timing and circumstances.

I want to be 1000% clear here. I'm pro cannabis. I'm pro athletes using cannabis. I'm anti Celtics signing guys who don't love the game.
Just curious, how do you know he doesn't currently have in place a strong support network, or that counseling for his issues may not have caused things to improve.

I'm extremely dubious of the notion that young guys can never change.

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2016, 01:58:44 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
This argument kind of became a pro-marijuana vs against-marijuana argument. Sanders did not retire because of his substance-abuse-related suspension. He retired because he was battling depression (see earlier post) and the game became too stressful for him. After taking two years and reorienting his life, he believes he is prepared enough to fully immerse himself back into the basketball-all-the-time lifestyle. Smoking pot and being in the NBA are not mutually exclusive; just ask JR Smith.

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2016, 05:21:30 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Marijuana prohibition has ruined many lives. I think it's now completely legal in a few states and it appears that in most one can use it as medicine.

The marijuana part of this story seems to be irrelevant.

I think this forum used to disallow any comments that were pro-marijuana, but I haven't noticed that much if at all the last year or two of lurking. I've been visiting this blog for many years.

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2016, 05:42:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Weed was a problem for him, folks, depression or not.   Some mental illnesses it is dangerous to some marijuana.

The overwhelming consensus from mental health professionals is that marijuana is not
helpful—and potentially dangerous—for people with mental illness. Using marijuana can
directly worsen symptoms of anxiety, depression or schizophrenia through its actions on the
brain. People who smoke marijuana are also less likely to actively participate in their
treatment—missing more appointments and having more difficulty with medicationadherence—than people who abstain from using this drug.

The relationship between marijuana and psychotic illness, specifically schizophrenia, has
been studied for many years. Certainly not all people who smoke marijuana will develop
schizophrenia, but people who are at risk of developing this illness—including individuals
with close family relatives that have severe mental illness—will be more likely to experience
psychosis if they are using marijuana. In this population of individuals, people who regularly
smoke marijuana are diagnosed with schizophrenia at a younger age, hospitalized more
frequently for their illness and are less likely to experience complete recovery even with high
quality treatment. This is particularly concerning, as approximately one-third of people in
America with schizophrenia regularly abuse marijuana.

http://www2.nami.org/factsheets/marijuana_factsheet.pdf

I am not one of those guys who think weed is evil.   I think it is safer to many ways than alcohol.   No one ever smokes a blunt and drives into a bus of kids.   But people with certain diagnosises are really taking chance.  Everybody thinks they can handle it but it is simply not true.   Others can smoke it with little or no effect.   Sanders is not one of those people, I bet.

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2016, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I tend to think Lazy is Sanders biggest problem.  Once he got an NBA paycheck, he checked out.  Smoking grass is probably just a coincidence, considering how many folks these days have regular safety meetings. 

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Marijuana prohibition has ruined many lives. I think it's now completely legal in a few states and it appears that in most one can use it as medicine.

The marijuana part of this story seems to be irrelevant.

I think this forum used to disallow any comments that were pro-marijuana, but I haven't noticed that much if at all the last year or two of lurking. I've been visiting this blog for many years.

it won't be that way for long, if Trump wins the election that is.  His attorney general, Chris Christie, is already on record saying he'd vigorously uphold federal laws and shut down those states that have rec or med laws in place.  Funny, because I thought it was suppose to the be the republicans that favor each state's rights.