Author Topic: Interesting Larry Sanders tweet  (Read 12603 times)

Re: Interesting Larry Sanders tweet
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
 As much as the C's need a defensive dominating big man like Larry Sanders I don't see DA going out on a limb to sign this guy.  I could be wrong but it seems that DA only goes for high character guys from top to bottom.  When I heard an interview with Brown I knew why he was drafted 3rd.  Not only is he a great athlete (although young and raw) but he has even more character.  From what I can see this is the foundation in which DA is building his Celtic team. 

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Sanders has probably run out of pot money.

Personally, I'd rather Danny quit trying to fleece people in trades and bring a more noble character to Boston.

Was Sanders just busted for using pot? Sorry, I didn't follow along on him very much. He kind of pulled a Ricky Williams move? I have no prob with the dude smoking. I really do think most of the league probably does , just because drinking would be so much worse. As long as he wasn't a jerk to teammates repeatedly like a lance Stephenson type I'd definitely try him. Wasn't he liked by teammates?

Yes.  He failed his fourth test for pot, pretty much said he wanted to keep smoking despite the suspensions, and then he and the Bucks worked out a buyout agreement, where I think he took about 1/3 of what he was still owed.

I think pot has gotten a little too benign of a reputation these days.  For some people, it is still very much addictive.  Sanders willingly gave up $15-20 million to keep smoking it.  I'm not a clinician, but he seems like the type of person who is, in fact, an addict.

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Personally, I'd rather Danny quit trying to fleece people in trades and bring a more noble character to Boston.

Ainge has shown almost no interest in shotblockers, except maybe for Mickey. And Stevens thus far has shown no interest in him.

Red might have thought otherwise. Russell probably saved his bacon. A blocked shot is worth 2 points (James showed that emphatically in the final Championship seconds, though it looked like goaltending to me). Russell blocked probably 5 shots per game, at least. That's 10 points. His effective ppg average was 26.7. Combined with a million rebounds.

Too bad Danny didn't have Russell for a teammate. Maybe he'd have a decent rebounder and shotblocker by now. It's been awhile.
A shot block is worth two points in a world where everyone shoots 100% from the field.

Most blocked shots are very close to the basket, where the shooting percentage is high.

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2016, 12:21:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Ainge has shown almost no interest in shotblockers, except maybe for Mickey. And Stevens thus far has shown no interest in him.

Red might have thought otherwise. Russell probably saved his bacon. A blocked shot is worth 2 points (James showed that emphatically in the final Championship seconds, though it looked like goaltending to me). Russell blocked probably 5 shots per game, at least. That's 10 points. His effective ppg average was 26.7. Combined with a million rebounds.

Too bad Danny didn't have Russell for a teammate. Maybe he'd have a decent rebounder and shotblocker by now. It's been awhile.
A shot block is worth two points in a world where everyone shoots 100% from the field.

Most blocked shots are very close to the basket, where the shooting percentage is high.

It's still never 100%.

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

i don't know, i think he had some pretty good ones: mchale/parish/bird all three rebounded well and blocked shots.  between the three of them, they averaged almost thirty rebounds per game in the 86 season.  they were first in the league in rebounding and fifth in the league in blocks.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2016, 12:46:11 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Was Sanders just busted for using pot? Sorry, I didn't follow along on him very much. He kind of pulled a Ricky Williams move? I have no prob with the dude smoking. I really do think most of the league probably does , just because drinking would be so much worse. As long as he wasn't a jerk to teammates repeatedly like a lance Stephenson type I'd definitely try him. Wasn't he liked by teammates?

Yes.  He failed his fourth test for pot, pretty much said he wanted to keep smoking despite the suspensions, and then he and the Bucks worked out a buyout agreement, where I think he took about 1/3 of what he was still owed.

I think pot has gotten a little too benign of a reputation these days.  For some people, it is still very much addictive.  Sanders willingly gave up $15-20 million to keep smoking it.  I'm not a clinician, but he seems like the type of person who is, in fact, an addict.

Just opinion but I don't think it's really addictive in any way. Well I mean I guess science is behind this too, right? I could def be wrong. But I get ya. It can be too benign. Like The smoker's I know who are already depressed- it does help their anxiety but doesn't help motivate. For smokers I know that are not depressed it actually invigorates them to get things done. But this has just been MY experience.
   The part that's weird to me is why is a guy getting tested 4 times? It seems unfair. Like I was saying before, at least the guy isn't an alcoholic.

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
If the team WANTED the tests then obviously it defected his performance. I'm just glad everyone in the nba hasn't been tested it there would be no nba.

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

i don't know, i think he had some pretty good ones: mchale/parish/bird all three rebounded well and blocked shots.  between the three of them, they averaged almost thirty rebounds per game in the 86 season.  they were first in the league in rebounding and fifth in the league in blocks.

Those stats are insane. Lol

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
It must have really sucked to drive baseline on that celts team.

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I just think we are so backwards when booze is sooo much more dangerous to ourselves than others. Do I like having a drink or more once in awhile with friends? Sure do. But I believe it would actually be more " right to make booze illegal" than pot.

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I just think we are so backwards when booze is sooo much more dangerous to ourselves than others. Do I like having a drink or more once in awhile with friends? Sure do. But I believe it would actually be more " right to make booze illegal" than pot.
Who said anything about making pot illegal?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Sanders doesn't seem like a Brad Stevens type of guy, and there's no space for him on the roster anyway. Also, pot may not be as harmful as has been publicized but it's still addictive and that's the last trait you want for any player on a winning team. Case in point: Vin Baker.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

And where the defenders get 100% of the rebounds
I'm bitter.

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Who said anything about making pot illegal?

Oh nobody here, I was just stating a belief that had to do with the situation. Like a guy got tested for pot 4 times? That's crazy when booze is so much worse.

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Like in Boston , without a medical card you're not supposed to, but there are people driving home drunk from bars everywhere in Boston every night of every year. It's just backwards and dangerous.