Author Topic: Interesting Larry Sanders tweet  (Read 12682 times)

Re: Interesting Larry Sanders tweet
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Sanders reminds me of Birdman Anderson. Wasn't he out of the league for a while, then came back and really helped Miami during their championship pair.  Lebron got him onto the Cleveland squad.  Strange dude, but very talented, and a beast on the court.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sanders reminds me of Birdman Anderson. Wasn't he out of the league for a while, then came back and really helped Miami during their championship pair.  Lebron got him onto the Cleveland squad.  Strange dude, but very talented, and a beast on the court.
The name is Chris Andersen. And if by "out of the league" you mean suspended for a full year for substance abuse, then yes. That was, however, five years before he signed with Miami and 6+ before he won a championship with them. He was only on one of the championship rosters.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 05:18:12 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He sounds desperate.

The C's should have zero interest in this guy. He does not love basketball. He's probably running out of money and wants to come back now. No thank.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 05:23:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The name is Chris Andersen. And if by "out of the league" you mean suspended for a full year for substance abuse, then yes. That was, however, five years before he signed with Miami and 6+ before he won a championship with them. He was only on one of the championship rosters.

He was suspended for two years.  The suspension started in the middle of the 2005-2006 season, and he finally got back onto the court late in the 2007-2008 season.  But yes, there was a long stretch in Denver post-suspension and pre-Miami.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The fact he listed Celtics first is obviously (although probably unintentionally) flattering.

Now that we just signed Zeller, do we have any way to sign Sanders? Is there any other exception available?
Do you think we would have signed Zeller if we had any interest in Sanders?

Yes, keeping Zeller has intrinsic value regardless of finding players in his position. The question here is about whether we would've found better use for the $6.5M in cap space he was holding. Apparently, there wasn't.

If Larry Sanders would join us, it would be for the Room Exception or for the league minimum. Roster space will get tricky, so a trade would've to be made or let players go. But I'd hesitate to let go of a player in a multi-year contract for a one year deal (which I assume is what Sanders would be getting at this stage).
It just doesn't seem like good roster management to keep seven bigs and let go of depth in other positions.

Well, depends how much you count on Hunter, Young, Holland, Jackson as depth worthy players.

But certainly, a valid point. I just don't think it's more important than increasing our trading asset potential.

But it's manageable. We're 3 deep at the very least in all 1-3 positions, that's enough depth to let you tinkle with.

PG - Thomas, Smart, Rozier,
SG - Bradley, Smart, Green, Rozier
SF - Crowder, Brown, Jerebko, Green

And the bigs. Depth is not an issue all told.
The depth chart looks nifty when you put the same body in multiple positions until you realize this also means that one injury can cut your depth in multiple positions, too.

The depth chart is quite longer, just not NBA players you're counting on. Those are the players you're protecting with your call for depth. Now if it's another target you want to replace them with, have at it.

In 3 positions I used 8 roster spots. There are 7 more available.

Olynyk
Horford
Johnson
Mickey
Zeller

Those are 5 more players, so you're left with 2 more available roster spots.

If we do nothing, those two roster spots are going to be split between Hunter, Young, Jackson, Holland. The only player of those 4 that has any real relevance for our depth situation is Jackson, since PG has the  least bodies we could use.

So in all, adding Sanders to this group has very little impact in our overall depth situation and adding Sanders doesn't prevent the Celtics from filling that last roster spot with a PG.

In a 15 player roster spot, and if you want to maintain equal balance depth wise, 3-deep depth is about as much as you can hope for per position.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:52:53 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 06:12:56 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Sanders would be an Auerbachian pick-up.  Low risk, potentially high reward.  I don't know  if he is a strange dude.  Basketball players eat, sleep and play basketball (trust me I was one). You get to a point where you wonder what else there is out there.  Sanders, marched to the beat of his own drum.

His violation of the anti-drug policy (marijuanna) reminds me of one Robert the Chief Parish sans the fed ex package.

In shape and playing at the level he left off, how many minutes would he get here?
I think that is his point of the tweet.  What team would utilize his talents.  And I don't mean rap.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
If he's back and in basketball shape this is a no-brainer. At the start of free agency some persons were considering Whiteside at close to max money. If we can get Sanders on a 1+1 deal, this would be a serious contender move. we would now have bulk to bang with Cavs and Hawks, plus athleticism around the rim with Brown,  Green and Sanders.

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Wow, must be slow day at the office, Koz.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 06:50:18 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Sign him...have him room with Gerald Green.

Sit back and wait for the explosion.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »

Offline cornbread1981

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
**** salty

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
I say this could be a low risk-high reward signing for Danny if he is interested. Worse case scenario, he will be just sent home if he became too toxic in the locker room.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If he's back and in basketball shape this is a no-brainer. At the start of free agency some persons were considering Whiteside at close to max money. If we can get Sanders on a 1+1 deal, this would be a serious contender move. we would now have bulk to bang with Cavs and Hawks, plus athleticism around the rim with Brown,  Green and Sanders.
Signing a guy who hasn't played basketball in 2 years is a "serious contender move?"

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Should be noted that IT is now following him on Twitter.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Sanders has probably run out of pot money.

Personally, I'd rather Danny quit trying to fleece people in trades and bring a more noble character to Boston.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 08:37:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Should be noted that IT is now following him on Twitter.

Meaningless, wake up me when Olynyk follows him. Then we'll be talking.